Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camlocs for cowl doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camlocs for cowl doors

Again looking for feedback...with tight fitting cowl doors, are camlocs a problem to get lined up with receptacle holes and latch? Do they go in on a bit of an angle to pull door down to bottpm cowl skin. I have no experience with camloc . Thanks

I used camlocs on my RV7 and love them . So naturally I got them for my Bearhawk. I have spent spent the last two days to get the holes in the doors to line up with the bottom cowl receptacles. Just a 1/32 or so off and the collar that goes through both holes won’t fit. Mine were ever so slightly off so I had to slightly file them to make them fit. I put the male ends in and all fit so I was happy. So I thought. When I went to put the retaining rings on that hold the collars a couple fell thru because the retaining ring is so narrow it would no longer grip. I had to make some spacers the exact hole size to fit over the collar on the inside of the cowl doors which seem to work. If my attachment works you can see what it looks like.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I used MilSpec Products quarter turn fasteners; same thing as camlocks. When you push the fastener into the receptical it kinda pulls the doors tight. You have to make sure to install them properly though or you'll end up with crappy looking doors like mine.

Also, I used the "flush" Phillips head fasteners and I hate them. It is annoying to need a tool to open the cowl and more importantly the stainless steel is soft enough that the heads strip really easily. I'm on my second complete set of fasteners and a few are bad again. I'll be installing the winged fasteners the next time around.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Winged, you can use them with gloves on and no screwdriver needed. Plus no nasty long scratches from the head of the screwdriver when it slips out of the fastener. They are all a PIA to install. By the time you figure out how to properly install them, your done. Second everything WHEE said.
        Gerry.
        Patrol #30

Comment

Im assuming winged camlocs when locked will be parallel to airflow along bottom of cowl doors, but if used on nose bowl they would be perpendicular to airfo . Just guessing here. Or is there a way to change direction of wings by 90 degrees?

Comment

I'd like to find a good resource for Super Cub style latches
            Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.48.48 AM.png
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Need some advice regarding Camlocs......

Will 2600’s and 2700’s do the same job ? 2700’s look to be flush mounted, but a wider circumference as a result - is this correct? If I can fit the flush mounted ones I may go for them.

What other parts do I need ? I see there’s the stud, receptacle, and a retaining clip. Some Camlocs appear to have a grommet as well but I can’t find these for the 2700. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
              I'd like to find a good resource for Super Cub style latches
              Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.48.48 AM.png
              Similar used on all the Piper Cherokee models.

John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Originally posted by N3UW View Post

Similar used on all the Piper Cherokee models.
                I’ve always been a fan of the simplicity of the older Piper cowl latches. But with the IO540 and no plenum, I’m not sure how well I can seal around the cowl doors and hence the decision to use Camlocs.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I also used the Camlocs. Here are the part numbers I used. SK40S-2S Philips Stud, SK-OS Flush Grommet, SK-R4S Retainer Clip, and SK245A161A. Adjustable Cage. Here is what my cowl doors look like.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Nev
                  Nev commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Tim. Very nice looking aircraft !
              Working...
              X