Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cable rubbing in Strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable rubbing in Strut

Has anyone else had the problem of the aileron cables rubbing at the top of the strut? I am using the larger pulleys and still have the issue. To correct it I need to move the pulleys mount point about 1/2" inboard. I am going to modify the pulley brackets to accomplish that.

Yes, that condition surfaces now and then.
    Have made teflon V shaped wedges for the interior aft end of the strut. Held in place with lockwire stitches or 4-40 screws.

Comment

Would the smaller diameter pulleys hurt you instead of helping? I also have used a hard nylon rub block on the inside of the wing strut when needed. Mark

Comment

I had the issue on one side of my LSA. I remade the pulley bracket to lower the pulley a bit which centered the cable in the strut.

I thought about going to a smaller pulley but likely would have had to remake the control cable.

Comment

I think you can use a smaller pulley. It was in one of the older Beartracks I believe.

Comment

Rodsmith, you lost me on your statement of moving the pulley inboard, that would compound the problem if the cable is touching the top of the strut. I am a plans builder and I had this problem. I moved the pulley outboard thus keeping the alignment correct to the outboard pulley. I had to punch out a rivet and made a 4130 bridge to mount the pulley at a new location. I was able to correct my error as the clues were not correct . Stinger

Comment

It was rubbing on the bottom side of the strut. I spent a few hours modifying the brackets to move the pulley's a 1/2 " inboard. That put the cables right in the center of the strut.The aileron cross over cable was rubbing on the flap support frame tubing on both sides. I added a fairlead on the rib outboard of the flap frame on each side to fix that, still very close.
              Last edited by rodsmith; 08-13-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen that issue so far.

Comment

FYI;
                  The B model uses 3" pulleys in the wing at the top of the lift strut. The cable rubs the top of the strut fairly significantly I am going to try a smaller pulley before I notch the lift strut..

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was going to order 2" ones but forgot how expensive they are. Looking around the airframe I found some 1.75" one with a AN5 bolt on the bottom of the fuselage. Tried them and they fit perfect. 2 " might still rub just slightly.

That is the good news. The bad news is my aileron cables just magically got longer.

I'm having the same issue. Is there any problem with cutting a small fillet at the rear of the top of the strut for clearance? I can't imagine that is a highly stressed area. In any case, a properly curved and finished fillet may actually reduce the stress as opposed to a square corner ......

Comment

• PaulSA
                    PaulSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not keen on the rub block - more friction, more maintenance. I was suggesting trimming off the top rear corner of the strut to give clearance

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The notch might have to be a lot longer than you realize. The angle you are dealing with isn't from the wing exit pulley to the strut, it is from that pulley to the lower pulley.

• PaulSA
                    PaulSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see your point. Anyone with the wear block like to comment on how it affects the aileron feel and how often it needs to be replaced.

I must say the whole thing looks like a bit of a design flaw ......
                Working...
                X