Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the end of each day I have started to install 10 nut plates. That way I don't have to install 400 in a day or two down the road.

Comment

• Hey everybody

I've been using up some left over vacation from last year working on the boot cowl and cowl for my 4pl. It has been STINKING hot and humid around here lately so not a lot of fun, but I have gotten quite a bit done. The pictures below show about 70 hours worth of work. I hung the engine, mounted the prop, got the nose bowl in place with spacers, then got to work on the metal.

I have a rather tall panel (I'm putting the portrait Garmin G3X GDU 370s in), and I wanted a straight line from the panel to the nose bowl so I started by making a sign board template of the firewall, then made the firewall from that.

Once that was done, I mounted the panel and got the boot cowl parts made (the side panels are removable). Then I got to work on the main cowl.

Once the cowl shape was done (just clecoed and screwed), I cut a hole in the bottom (scary) for the fuel servo. I am using a Van's Aircraft filter airbox and a massively hacked up RV-6 chin scoop for the air intake ala Michel Roy. I have attached before and after pics of the chin scoop. Canadians will recognize the clear hockey shin pad tape holding the scoop on :-)

It kinda has a C-170 vibe going with that long, straight top cowl.

Tomorrow the fiberglass work starts to make the chin scoop mountable, aerodynamic, and non-ugly. I hate fiberglass....
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      -------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• Bdflies
        Bdflies commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like the lines, with the tall panel - nosebowl! Can't wait to see it finished.

Bill

• rv8bldr
        rv8bldr commented
        Editing a comment
        You and me both, Bill :-) 8 years in and I'm finally at the QB stage...sigh... However, I am looking forward to the wiring and systems installation over the winter this year, covering next year.

Mark

• davzLSA
        davzLSA commented
        Editing a comment
        nice looking cowl!!

• Built the last of my .025 ribs that need the lightening holes flanged today. 86 ribs plus 8 spares (2 of each type L/R) finished. Now I can retire some templates (I hope)! On to stiffeners and some of the smaller ribs... F0762025-F76F-4587-BC2C-480393BA92ED.jpeg
      4-Place Model 'B' Serial 1529B (with many years to go...)

Comment

• nborer
        nborer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! They look better from this distance than perfectly close-up, but I think they'll fly! I certainly had more than one or 10 rejects...

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        How long did they take you to fabricate?

• nborer
        nborer commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking through my builder's log, 13 months from my first airworthy rib (a flap rib). I have about 160 hours in my log, but that includes building templates (which I started about 18 months ago), making ribs that ended up as scrap metal, making more templates, and re-making templates (I made 3x different templates for flanging the lightening holes on my ailerons before getting one I liked). COVID-19 has definitely accelerated my build... I'm not traveling for work every other week and we're not traveling to see family much at this time. It's been a long time since I've had this many travel-free weekends in a row...

I've spent far more time staring at the plans with a beverage in my hands, searching these forums or other guidebooks for answers, and maybe making airplane noises once or twice. But I don't think I can log those hours.

• Finished my build table. 3 9.5" I-joists 18' long, bunch of 2x10s joining them, and random 2x4s for legs. I added T-nuts and 3/8" bolts to the bottom of the legs so I can level the table easily. 5/8" AC plywood on top topped with two coats of paint to make markings easier to read.

Now I can start prepping my ribs for the aileron build...

Bearhawk build.jpg
      https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
      Patrol plans #398

Comment

• I pushed my project out of the hangar just to take a look at it in the light and compare to the previous photos to reflect on progress. Have tack welded one boarding step made out of a salvaged strut from a Maule ground loop. I have all the control cables built and fitted. I have the stringers all fitted as well. A handful of tabs and brackets to add and then I can get the steel primed.
        This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• The flap and aileron structures are finished. I have hundreds of photos documenting these builds if anyone would like to see a particular detail in the process.

IMG_20200808_105300820.jpg

Later, while storing everything in the hangar, I looked at the flaps on the 140 and couldn't resist. I can't help but think of Mick Dundee saying "that's not a flap... that's a flap!"

IMG_20200808_125016474_HDR.jpg
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

• James
            James commented
            Editing a comment
            Well Chewie, when I finish my rig you'll have to come out to Australia for a visit mate, we'll head up north and look out for some water buffalos to hypnotise eh

• Between yesterday and today I got the aileron rib locations marked out on the spars as well as the locations for the hinges and hinge bolt holes. Tomorrow I need to make a couple tools to finish out the ribs I got from Mark G (small amount of fluting and a little additional bending to make the flanges 90*, etc...) and I'll get a start on prepping them for the next step. I also made my first YouTubes video, hopefully I'll keep that updated weekly (or close to weekly) as the build progresses.

Hello YouTube world! Welcome to a new build series and a new channel! I'm just getting started building a Bearhawk Patrol from scratch and would love it if...
          https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
          Patrol plans #398

Comment

• Chewie
            Chewie commented
            Editing a comment
            A tip: clamp your spars back-to-back and drill the left and right at the same time. Then you only have to mark one. Just be sure you mark it right...
            A question: how are you locating your hinges before fitting it to the wing?

• Russellmn
            Russellmn commented
            Editing a comment
            I used the measurements on the plans to get the locations. Had to have them for locating the ribs anyway...

• Bearhawk building officially started today with the master form block. I also got a work table built this weekend. My excitement is at a 10 right now because I've been wanting to get started on this for years and everything has finally fallen into place. Form block still needs some hand sanding to remove the last 1/32 of material and achieve a totally smooth edge. Once I get the form blocks done I'm going to send some to my Dad's house (Flap and Aileron ribs/pockets?) to divide and conquer.
          IMG_20200908_144403.jpgIMG_20200908_005832.jpg
          4 Place Bravo
          Currently making form blocks

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought my first airplane plans when I was 15. They are probably still stuffed in the floor beams of my parents, now sisters house, 43 years later. I finally bought a BH kit 2 years ago. I hope it isn't too late. LOL

• Moved to airport for final assembly. IMG_1411 (002).jpg

Comment

• Moving Day!

Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Its was and still is a slowly progressing job, but the Aluminum parts are all riveted together and next up will be the leading edges with a lens fitted that will cover the landing light and strobe/nav lights. Presently they weigh 8lbs each. And are 22 inches wide.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              Last edited by Gerhard Rieger; 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                Those tips are a work of art!

• RFQ's for 2024 material requirements for my Model B wings for my BH5 scratch build.

Nathan
              Last edited by Sir Newton; 09-15-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Trying to build a non-serving trim system.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Just received my first order of Al from Spruce. Should by my estimate be just enough to get the ribs done if I don't make any mistakes. So not quite enough to get the ribs done , but enough to keep me busy for a while. Unfortunately, actual airplane progress has been put on hold this week possibly into next due to home repairs that need to get done. I'm excited to start working on actual airplane parts though when I get going again since all I've made so far is tools and cutting templates for ribs.
                  4 Place Bravo
                  Currently making form blocks

Comment

• Well I am rolling right along, 10 hrs of print review, accepted a quote from a material supplier, wing material delivery Oct10. Started making rib templates, Moved fab tables & equipment down to my hangar. Picked up a few new toys. KC-1620CML along with some other King equipment. Loven Life !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X