Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeromomentum AM20T 260HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeromomentum AM20T 260HP

Today I spoke with Mark Kettering of AeroMomentum aircraft engines http://aeromomentum.com/index.html. Beginning in 2019, they will be offering a completely new 260HP engine for less than $20,000. The AM20T is 4 cylinder liquid cooled, fuel injected, turbo-charged with tune exhaust, ECU (no mixture control), prop gear reduction, and can burn mogas. AeroMomentum has been building engines for more than a decade. Mark Kettering is an engineer x2 and is extremely knowledgable. Intriguing is all I can say...
    Last edited by robcaldwell; 11-27-2018, 04:54 PM.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Don’t you dare!!! Lol. They are intriguing but 5,800RPM to get the 260 makes me sick to my stomach. I think auto engines are a slippery slope. Most (not all) of the people that do it, wish they hadn’t. It will severely devalue the aircraft ,, IMHO

Comment

• Peter Girard
      Peter Girard commented
      Editing a comment
      his type of engine offers some benefit, but the big problem is that the gearbox that does not have reliable ca would take a guarantee of 1000 hours. you will lose your $$$$ and your time

Oh, I'm not. Just wish we could get better affordability from L and C.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Kinda interesting. But since it doesn't have a constant speed prop option I think it is a dud. But I'd be pretty happy to install a LS series GM V8 on my BH if a properly engineered, prop governor equipped, reasonably priced PSRU was available. But that will likely never happen so I'm stuck with a Lyconasaurus.
      Last edited by whee; 11-28-2018, 10:26 AM.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Even without the constant speed prop option, it still a viable option. The fuel consumption and engine overhaul alone in time outweighs the Lycoming engine. So I don't understand why it is a "dud" without the constant speed prop option.

Comment

Originally posted by cgalutera1 View Post
        Even without the constant speed prop option, it still a viable option. The fuel consumption and engine overhaul alone in time outweighs the Lycoming engine. So I don't understand why it is a "dud" without the constant speed prop option.
        I mean, build the airplane that's right for you, but to quote alaskabearhawk a fixed pitch would be like being stuck in 2nd gear forever. Plus we can have CG issues with 360s, lopping another 60-ish pounds off that makes this even less attractive.
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

Ah yes, the old car engine discussion.

There are a couple of significant issues with the auto conversion. But the biggest is the PSRU. When shopping for a PSRU be sure to ask the vendor which prop and engine combination they have done torsional vibration testing on. If they don't have specific test results for the specific engine and prop you want to run, then you are now fully in the realm of experimental engines that may suddenly come apart if you happen to operate in a harmonic of its resonance frequency.

Don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't vibrate, the engine vibrates. The crank speeds up and slows down even if slightly while each piston is doing its work. If you have a gearbox between that engine and the tuning fork, I mean prop, then knowing where it resonates is absolutely critical, unless of course you are super lucky.

Other factors are the weight of the engine, cooling system, and psru, are rarely lighter than the lycoming, unless you are taking a little engine and spinning it to high heaven, which might not be the end of the world if it has a short stroke, but not if it's running on the verge of detonation.

Consider this: A 2.0L engine running 10.5:1 compression WITH a turbo is a TON of cylinder pressure, and it's almost certainly going to need a pretty smart ECU to know when to back off the boost or timing to not destroy itself. That ECU comes in the car, but I wouldn't run it in an airplane because it probably has various limb mode type protections you don't want. Of course you can run an SDS aftermarket EFI unit on it, which is great, dumb EFI on an airplane is desirable, but not on an engine that is on the edge like this one.

Bottom line: Anyone claiming 1800TBO on a 2.0L turbo engine producing 260HP at 5500rpm needs to back that up with some serious data before I'd write a check, and even then you have the prop, psru, ecu, and fuel pumps to deal with. All said and ton, as long as you actually fly it, the lycombing is VERY reliable, and really not any more expensive by the time you consider the time, effort, and cost involved.

Last edited by schu; 11-28-2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Isilverone View Post
            They are intriguing but 5,800RPM to get the 260 makes me sick to my stomach.
            Plus the turbo issue. Bringing the turbo and doing lots of STOL are incompatible in my view, that thing will pop in no time.

Turbos are great for cruising at 15,000ft with bottled Oxygen, and climbing out of hot & high situations. Definitely have a valuable place in aviation, but it depends how you want to use your Bearhawk.
            Last edited by Battson; 11-28-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Inline 4's are probably the worst choice for a conversion. They all have 2 bad harmonics that a prop and gearbox wouldn't appreciate.
              A long time ago I liked the idea of auto conversions, but less expensive experimental versions of Lycomings made me give that idea up.

There are still a few conversions I like. I like the Corsair and VW, and maybe someday the LS1 will get there as well. I also have a lot of experience with Subarus, but they are a bit heavy for the power they put out reliably. The EG33 in particular is a really smooth motor, but is probably at least 100 lbs heavier installed than the O-540 sitting in my shop.

I think there are multiple reasons why almost all current aircraft engines are either flat or round. Nowadays, mostly flat.

Comment

IMHO:

There are no differences between car engines and Lycoming, and Continental. The rod, crankshaft clearances are all the same. They all fall within 0.001-0.003 mils. Regardless whether it is an inline or horizontal opposed, it is very important for the engine to be dynamically balance. During the building process, the crankshaft, rods, pistons, flywheel are all balanced static at first and dynamically last. Some blueprinted engine(s) go as far as balancing the pulleys. Basically, anything rotating are balanced within less than 5 gms. It would be nice if the prop+spinner can be balanced with the crankshaft, rods, pistons, flywheel at the same time. Only then, one will have a smooth running engine. Balancing the prop separately doesn't really do it because it will always be out of phase once bolted to the flywheel.

Some will say the Lycomings are spinning 3000 rpm while car engines are at 6500 rpm. If the engine is built with a roller or a full counterweight crankshaft, it doesn't matter whether it runs 2500 rpm full power or 6500 rpm at full power. The limiting factor will be on the cams. Put a different cam then. I am ignoring in this conversation about oil galleys and oil pump volume. Both of these can be done also. Those Lycomings will not last past 3000 rpm because those jugs are too big. The case will split in half regardless whether it is shuffled pin or not. One can put bigger jugs in a car engine as long as there exist enough wall thickness.

If these are all possible, then why are Lycomings and Continentals are soooooo expensive as compared to car engines? The answer is liabilities. Manufacturers have to cover their ass*s. The FAA and all other regulations must also get their hands dipped in the bucket full of cash. Take a look at an old Cessna 172 and a new 172. Ignoring the electronics and nice seats, the design is pretty much the same yet the price is about $500,000 plus. OK, one will argue about the electronics. Do you really think those electronics really should be that much? As an engineer, I once designed a touchscreen for Garmin gps. It's very surprising to know that the components in a standard $80-$100 car gps are all pretty much the same as the garmin avionics. All of the validation testings are all the same regardless whether air or land. Garmin is not making a killing on these prices. They also have to pay all these regulators.

My only concern in a car motor in an airplane is when it comes to cooling failure. What if the head gasket fails and coolant starts leaking. In less than 5 mins, the car engine will stop. An air-cooled engine will not. Surely compression loss will occur but the motor will still work long enough to land.

Comment

You guys are kinda making me feel like an outcast! The Mazda Rotary makes a better aircraft power plant than a car engine. Problem now is Tracy Crook/ Rotary Solutions has seemingly disappeared/desolved. No one has picked up where he left off.

Comment

• JimParker256
                    JimParker256 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think all the comments here relate to piston engines. The Mazda Rotary is more related to the turbines when it comes to smoothness. And maybe fuel efficiency - LOL.

• yateselden
                    yateselden commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Im just seeing your post Jim. That's funny, not entirely true but funny non the less! 😆

There is a difference between auto and aircraft engines.

I believe imbalanced engine parts are not the cause of vibration/harmonic issues, rather the individual cylinders power pulses applying a strong force to the crank at regular intervals and frequency we can't hear or feel.

If price is the issue, give Bob Barrows a call about a Lycoming. I believe he can build an engine for less than the price of an AM20T.

If experimentation is the desire, I heartily send encouragement your way. I hope you succeed!! For experimentation is what makes this hobby so exciting. Keep us updated.
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Concur about calling Bob. Worked for me as well.

I still like seeing people experiment. Especially when it is me.

IMHO:

There are no differences between car engines and Lycoming, and Continental. The rod, crankshaft clearances are all the same. They all fall within 0.001-0.003 mils. Regardless whether it is an inline or horizontal opposed, it is very important for the engine to be dynamically balance. During the building process, the crankshaft, rods, pistons, flywheel are all balanced static at first and dynamically last. Some blueprinted engine(s) go as far as balancing the pulleys. Basically, anything rotating are balanced within less than 5 gms. It would be nice if the prop+spinner can be balanced with the crankshaft, rods, pistons, flywheel at the same time. Only then, one will have a smooth running engine. Balancing the prop separately doesn't really do it because it will always be out of phase once bolted to the flywheel.
                  There are a huge amount of differences between car engines and airplane engines:

Fix timing mags vs electric ignition
                  mechanical injection or carbs vs fuel injection
                  Very long stroke high torque vs short stroke high rpm
                  air cooled vs liquid cooled
                  Boxer/inline 6 vs inline 4 or v8 (not many auto options in the 260hp range that use 6 cyls)
                  2 spark plugs vs 1 spark plug
                  Needs no PSRU, huge crank bearing vs needs PSRU, needs crank bearing
                  Usually doesn't need return to tank fuel vs usually needs return to tank fuel
                  Torsional vibration testing done for certified props vs little torsional vibration testing done because it works against a huge dampener (the weight of the rotating running gear/tires/vehicle)
                  Can run on gravity fed fuel or mechanical pumps vs needs redundant high pressure pumps

Some will say the Lycomings are spinning 3000 rpm while car engines are at 6500 rpm. If the engine is built with a roller or a full counterweight crankshaft, it doesn't matter whether it runs 2500 rpm full power or 6500 rpm at full power. The limiting factor will be on the cams. Put a different cam then. I am ignoring in this conversation about oil galleys and oil pump volume. Both of these can be done also. Those Lycomings will not last past 3000 rpm because those jugs are too big. The case will split in half regardless whether it is shuffled pin or not. One can put bigger jugs in a car engine as long as there exist enough wall thickness.
                  Lycomings are specifically designed to not go past 2700 rpm because that is as fast as you can reasonably spin a prop, and a direct drive engine is WAY less complex to deal with from a weight and vibration perspective.

Also, piston speed is a factor. If you compare a lycoming 540 to the subaru EG33 you notice the piston speed of the lycoming at 2700rpm is 48.75 feet per sec and the subaru at 5400rpm is 77.03. That's quite a lot faster for the subaru. Not that I would care, a subaru at 5400 doesn't both me, it's the PSRU that scares me.

If these are all possible, then why are Lycomings and Continentals are soooooo expensive as compared to car engines? The answer is liabilities. Manufacturers have to cover their ass*s. The FAA and all other regulations must also get their hands dipped in the bucket full of cash. Take a look at an old Cessna 172 and a new 172. Ignoring the electronics and nice seats, the design is pretty much the same yet the price is about $500,000 plus. OK, one will argue about the electronics. Do you really think those electronics really should be that much? As an engineer, I once designed a touchscreen for Garmin gps. It's very surprising to know that the components in a standard $80-$100 car gps are all pretty much the same as the garmin avionics. All of the validation testings are all the same regardless whether air or land. Garmin is not making a killing on these prices. They also have to pay all these regulators.
                  There are a lot of reasons. Some parts are x-rayed, there is a lot more documentation in regards to lots or batches, which means if you a have a part let go and it causes a crash, and the FAA sees a second or third one, they can issue an AD on that part, and in theory limit it to only the affected batch.

Liability is there too, the precision carb guy that was up a last summer said that they are in the middle of 10 lawsuits at any given time. If the engine sputters over an airport and you freak out and stall the airplane and spin into the ground, it's absolutely the fault of the carb... right?

My only concern in a car motor in an airplane is when it comes to cooling failure. What if the head gasket fails and coolant starts leaking. In less than 5 mins, the car engine will stop. An air-cooled engine will not. Surely compression loss will occur but the motor will still work long enough to land.
                  Here are my concerns with a car motor in an airplane:

PSRU harmonics
                  Prop limitations/issues
                  Prop governor issues
                  Electric fuel pumps at high pressure
                  More complex fuel system which might require single fuel tank ports
                  ECU failure
                  Alternator failure with poor battery life
                  Engine mount or isolator failure because vibration profile is unknown
                  CG issues as all up weight is hard to know ahead of time
                  Availability of parts should the PSRU vendor go out of business
                  Extensive amount of time needed to build custom engine mount, cooling system, fuel system, etc.
                  Possible issues with lining up the prop with the thrust line while still making the cowl fit.

Now, all of that said, I'm also quite well aware of the advantages:

Preheat is trivial with a freeze plug heater
                  Hot restarts aren't a thing anymore
                  Real heat in the cockpit with little chance of getting gassed
                  Much lower cost to rebuild engine
                  Potential for much higher HP with turbos and such
                  No more mixture or carb heat depending on setup
                  Smoother due to high frequency and smaller pulses

Anyway, unless you want to dive into serious engineering and be a test pilot, or you are doing something that's been done before a LOT (corvair, VW), I'd say stick with a lycosaur. They work pretty well.

schu
                  Last edited by schu; 11-30-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I think the reliability of the auto engine has come along way. I have multiple chevy trucks with 250,000 miles and only thing ever done is oil changes. Here is another option http://www.autopsrus.com/bearhawk

Comment

I think the advantages and disadvantages are somewhat equal for both auto and aircraft engines. Aircraft engines lagging because of all the red tape the manufacturer has to deal with. Running drag racing engines for years, if you balance all components, use high end parts, time ignition and fuel for each cylinder with a good ecu, an auto engine can live at moderate RPM for a long time. My race motor is a SBC 427 @ 8200 making 820hp built in 2007 was reringed and bearing twice but had little wear. I just think the technology of auto engines are far beyond aircraft engines. They're just not certified and that's what keeps these aircraft engine companies alive. But not just anyone can deal with some of the complications of Installing an auto conversion.

Comment

• cgalutera1
                        cgalutera1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree with you. But one thing to avoid when using automotive engines is to avoid putting any axial load on the crankshaft. The bearings weren't made to take it. Installing a PSRU eliminates that. The unit bolts on to the block thus eliminating axial loading.
                    Working...
                    X