Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk wins New Zealand STOL Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk wins New Zealand STOL Championship

For those still unconvinced of the Bearhawk's STOL performance, here's another data point:

S.T.O.L. Heavy Touring Class Results, 2019

ZK-NJB Bearhawk 4-place
    First take-off 24.6m (76ft) Second take-off 27m (83ft)
    First landing 56.8m (176ft) Second landding 49.5m (153ft)

Total combined distance shortest take-off and landing 74.1m (229ft) [Winner]

The second place was taken by a good friend who ably pilots a STOL-modified Maule M6-235. The Bearhawk won by about 40 foot.

FB_IMG_1549591196572 (1).jpg

Congratulations Mr. Battson! You’re absolutely correct that this performance confirms beyond question the STOL abilities of the Bearhawk. Also confirmed, is the skill of the pilot! Congratulations and Well Done!

BILL

Comment

What’s with those long landings Jono? 😁

Great job man!
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Big high five!
        Almost flying!

Comment

Great skills !
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

like a BOSS!! congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
              What’s with those long landings Jono? 😁

Great job man!
              Yeah I see what you mean Jon, too many "d"s

FB_IMG_1549605168904.jpg

FB_IMG_1549605205492.jpg
              Last edited by Battson; 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Awesome job. The new wingtips look great as well.

Comment

Do you have a good comparison of performance with & without the VGs?

Comment

Congratulation Jonathan. Very cool. I had seen some video of the Zenith planes doing their thing at the competition. But did not know you won the 4 place category. Not surprising considering the plane and how good you are flying it. Mark

Comment

Great plane, great pics, great piloting! Congratulations.

Comment

Great pics! Really impressive. I hope there is a video coming.

Any thoughts on what could be done to further increase performance? Would be nice to cut that landing roll down some.

Also, It looks warm there and I need some BH specific STOL training...
                        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Jonathon;
                          I don't know your experience before your BH. But you have shared your experience with your BH. In the last few years you have gone to bigger and bigger tires, and rougher LZ's. Bigger and lower pressure tires introduce another natural frequeny to the suspension tuning. How does the standard suspension, from a kit, handle it? Do you wish for more damping, or less?

Comment

Well done!

....since there is no video.... I was wondering what method you used to accomplish this....flaps up...pick up speed and dump the flaps to do a leap off the ground? or just elevator or combination?

I had some other questions about your flap cover fix/modification that I`ll post in safety area that came to mind as I saw your STOL post....

I really have no idea how this managed to occur, but worth knowing about... If your hinge pocket covers don't go all the way to the front of the flap - then you

Comment

Jonathan - the numbers you got were really good. I am curious about surface wind conditions. Did you have a good headwind to achieve those numbers? Mark

Comment

• Bdflies
                                Bdflies commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I was waiting for someone to throw this out, but I didn’t expect it would be Mark!!😎

Bill

• Mark Goldberg
                                Mark Goldberg commented
                                Editing a comment
                                At the Valdez competition there is always a good wind off the ocean that reduces the numbers. That is what I have been told by the Alaskans. Mark

• Battson
                                Battson commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yes there was some wind, there is usually a sea breeze here too. It was not unusually strong.
                            Working...
                            X