Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabric Decisions for the LSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric Decisions for the LSA

I'm trying to fast track my LSA build and thinking ahead as much as possible. Seriously considering Stewart Systems Fabric and paint. Mainly because it doesn't involve MEK or other harsh chemicals.

Have any of you used Stewart? if so with what results. Thanks, Frank

I know Rob used Stewart on his 4 place.

He has at least another video or two. Seems to really like the stuff.

I plan to use it, for whatever that’s worth.
    Almost flying!

Comment

We have pretty comprehensive archives about this sort of thing but if time is your primary factor, you might also consider oratex.

Comment

I have been very impressed with Stewarts. Watch the videos and make sure you have the latest addition of their covering manual. You will have a great cover job if you follow all the recommended procedures. Not needing a breathing air supply is great. Some people just use a dust filter when spraying, I prefer to use a respirator with organic vapor cartridges which removes any odor. I have used Polyfiber in the past and it is a good system but you need good protection from the Isocyanates and MEK. Weight wise, my test panels through top coat come out at 9 oz per square foot. Oratex is 5 oz per square foot. Oratex has limited colors and personally I don't care for the look, but that is a personal decision. The tech support at Stewarts has been terrific. Andy Humphrey the owner, can usually be reached, if not returns calls the same day. He has been so helpful any time I have had a question.

Comment

Jared, I had oratex on my S7, I did not build, occasionally a tape edge would come loose, I'd iron it back down. No big deal. But service from the company is the problem. I tried to order a few things and service was no existent. I could get a return phone call and excuses but no product. Went on for over a year. Needless to say I won't be using Oratex

Comment

Stewart’s is awesome. When I build another plane I’ll be using it again.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

What Whee and others already said. Stewart Systems is awesome.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I used Stits and placed my covering notes here:https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...covering-notes

Regarding Isocyanates, they are present in all urethane systems(even Stewarts) but my understanding they are not quite as "dangerous" as the urethane based paint you will likely use on your wings.

Always read the MSDS sheets. Just because water is used as the thinner does not mean a certain level of protection isn't required when mixing and spraying.

For an LSA(if I was to do it again), I would lean to Oratex as it seems to be the lightest process which is key to an aircraft with a pre-defined max gross weight.
              Last edited by BTAZ; 11-25-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

A buddy of mine of over 20 years with over 40 years auto body experience tells me to be as careful with waterborne stuff as you are with solvent based paints, maybe more. It may not have isocyanates, but the fact that it can be thinned and dissolves in water makes it very hazardous to your lungs.

If you care mostly about cosmetics you probably don't want to use Oratex. If you care more about weight and ease of repair, it is a good system, and you don't have to sand paint.

Comment

Working...
                X