Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide body bearhawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide body bearhawk?

Has anyone plans built the fuselage but made it considerably wider? Kinda a shame the model 5 or companion wasn't made considerably wider to fit more averaged sized people.

Have you sat in one? I wouldn't say that I'm smaller than average but have room, and have flown with lots of different folks. By small airplane standards, it is not a crowded one. Changing the width would require lots of structural engineering challenges.

Comment

My pops and I (both 6’1” and 200lbs) sit comfortably next to each other in our BH. Perhaps your version of “averaged” size people are the kind that take up half my seat on a commercial airline?

Isn’t the Model 5 wider? I’m trying to think of wider kit planes that might be of interest but I’m coming up blank.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• keefer66
        keefer66 commented
        Editing a comment
        the model 5 is 2" wider than the Bravo

• keefer66
        keefer66 commented
        Editing a comment
        the rans s-21 is 46.5" wide per their spec sheet

I haven’t sat in one, maybe that would change my mind. But so far the only kit plane I’ve been in that is actually roomy enough to be comfortable is the zenith 750 cruiser with the bubble doors. And those push the elbow room out to 50”. If I was to stretch the fuselage width on a bearhawk I’d probably go to 54”. As for my version of normal, an XL shirt fits me and sitting normally I take up 27” elbow to elbow.

Comment

My wife and I had the opportunity to sit in Jareds at Bobs fly-in last year and I am broad shouldered but my wife is not , and she felt it was a little snug. I have flown in 150's and 172's in the past so I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think if Bob was asked he could do an addendum to the Bravo using info he has on the Model 5 since the both use the same wing.

Comment

Well....you could do what Sonex has done...for those that want more room...

they offer an option to have a center control stick instead of the standard double stick.. ....so you can have the front seat all to yourself with a stick between your legs on the centerline...

Would take some modifications...but when its all done you would have as much shoulder room as you wanted...

since most flying is done alone...

then if you want to bring someone as co-pilot..you could share the center stick like they do on the Jabiru and Sonex...and others with center sticks

you could turn the Bearhawk 5 into the most roomy aircraft in the skies....if you did this mod the standard 4 place would also work well
          Last edited by way_up_north; 06-06-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL , just simply install tandem seating. Have all the room you want. With a good auto pilot could join the mile high club.
            ok I will stop trying to be funny. ;-O

• way_up_north
            way_up_north commented
            Editing a comment
            Ive only read about this mod and not seen it in action...but I think the idea is you have to use the outside rudder pedals on each side....so youre flying a bit bow legged to reach them..

but as you say ...the model 5 has lots of potential...

I had to think about it, but I don't sit with my elbows beside myself in the airplane. Perhaps that is the key to fitting comfortably in planes other than a Zenith. But I would at least try one on before taking drastic measures. You're welcome to come see ours in Central NC, though there will also be several to see at Oshkosh I hope.

Comment

Aircraft builders are fabricators. Bubble windows were installed in two Patrols that I know of giving perhaps another 3" on both sides at the shoulder, so it seems to me like Sea Plane doors with full plexiglass could bubble out considerable more than that.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I have seen several light sport planes like that. I might give it a try down the road.

Here's a couple of videos that discuss cabin size...

Bob talks about how and why he designed the cabin the way he did:

David Weber comments on cabin size:

Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I was going to pile on with my own personal experience flying both the 4 pl and the 5, but the David Weber video pretty much says it all…

Comment

Kevin Deutscher has re-engineered the A-model Bearhawk, took him many years and its not done yet, he has done an amazing job, taken into account that he is an engineer making qualified to do all those major changes, his Bearhawk I think is about 48 inches wide, its huge, he made it longer, so you have something more like the Bearhawk 5, I would just get the Bearhawk 5 from Mark Goldberg and save time building, I think Kevin is at it for more than 12 years already.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by N969DP View Post
                  I haven’t sat in one, maybe that would change my mind. But so far the only kit plane I’ve been in that is actually roomy enough to be comfortable is the zenith 750 cruiser with the bubble doors.
                  Oh wow - those Zenith designs are TINY inside...

Go sit in a Bearhawk and then decide if they are too small, they are one of the largest cabins around.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

Oh wow - those Zenith designs are TINY inside...

Go sit in a Bearhawk and then decide if they are too small, they are one of the largest cabins around.
                    Actually, our EAA chapter is building a 750 Cruzer. With bubble doors the cabin is, like, 52" (132cm) wide. Not only can you fit two NZ "Healthy Bastards" in there, you can fit two "Fat Bastards" :-)

Still prefer my (still under construction) 4pl Bearhawk.
                    -------------------
                    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Well Gerhard had most of his comments correct, exception been at it way longer than 12 years....... : )

That said, yes fuselage is wider than 48 in and had an 18 inch stretch.

IF I had to do it over I would highly recommend the Model 5. I had the privilege in April to make a flight in the Model 5.
                      My take away is that the Model 5 has many of the refinements everyone has been asking for. There are subtle differences in a lot of little details
                      that enhance utility and the user experience. The increase in width, seat structure and placement made for a very roomy and functional cockpit.

Making a wider and longer Bearhawk is not a trivial task, not necessary for most pilot geometry and has already been productionized by Bob.
                      I think that the Model 5 built as a 4 place would be the ultimate back country transport. ( When I go backcountry I take stuff and leave people behind)

Kevin D
                      #272 Chandler, AZ

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
                        Gerhard Rieger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry for me mistaking the time, just tried to remember when I looked at your site some time back, great work you done, its going to be great to see it when you are done.I made a couple of changes not even close to what you have done, my airframe is standard, like using a bolt on axle that I can shim straight instead of the heat/ bend method that will cause stress on the gear steel. Luckily for me my nephew is a mechanical engineer and he helped me with the design changes and where to strengthen what to make it work. But it adds lots of time to the build.

Widening the fuselage will add drag translating to a slower over all aircraft. However ! If you widen any BH designs there are a few things you should think through before deciding final dimensions. For example BH generally uses Cessna windshields. Interesting topic though.

FYI, I quickly googled Cessna 185 cabin dimensions BearHawk is already considerably taller, wider, deeper. STN D-N is huge 44"! IMHO build yourself some fancy as s Bubble windows & be done with it.

Or easier yet. Go with the Patrol model. Tandem seating 30" wide.
                      Last edited by Sir Newton; 06-08-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                        Mark Goldberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Patrol is 32" wide. MG
                    Working...
                    X