Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Competition is FIERCE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Competition is FIERCE!

First.... Vans announces the RV-15, and now this!!!

What will we do?????

(Of course, I am being completely and totally facetious...)

Sonex-High-wing-2048x1444.jpeg

Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Kinda funny to be honest

Short skinny wing
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

The RV 15 will probably be something like a high wing RV-9.

It's a neat idea, but tin can aircraft will never have the rugged durability of a Bearhawk, Maule, or Cub.

If Vans are smart, they will rip off the Dream Aircraft Tundra - that plane should have been a big hit off airport, just the company wasn't up to the challenge. When I was buying the Bearhawk 10 years ago, they looked like a real contender, glad I backed the right horse / dodged that bullet.... When you Google "dream aircraft" now, their website doesn't even have enough hits to make page 1 of Google...

It definitely say something good about the off-airport scene when Vans is sitting up and taking notice.

Dream aircraft Tundra
      Tundra.jpg
      Last edited by Battson; 08-24-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Cessna 180 and 185 are extremely desirable all aluminum planes, I'm surprised Van's isn't going for that form factor. If they had that available, I believe it would be a direct competitor for a lot of Model B prospectives.

Comment

Looks like a Whitman Tailwind. Nit surprising coming out of Oshkosh. I agree tube and fabric represents the toughest back country option but VANs will bring out a well engineered machine with superb manuals and ease of assembly.

Comment

A3D76213-4E19-4CA9-8EE6-4DF9C961AAA2.pngD21C0B38-9A60-4DFF-9E31-EBBF044876E5.png

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
              Gerhard Rieger commented
              Editing a comment
              South African based Sling Aircraft’s new high wing range

Clearly Bob needs to design a low wing.
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

• robcaldwell
              robcaldwell commented
              Editing a comment
              I almost made the same comment, but held back for fear I would get banned from the group!

• JoHo
              JoHo commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought he already did, but it also had a high wing at the same time.

Originally posted by Battson View Post
            If Vans are smart, they will rip off the Dream Aircraft Tundra (...) When you Google "dream aircraft" now, their website doesn't even have enough hits to make page 1 of Google...
            Their web site still exists (languishing on Google's notorious Page 2), still with the late 90s look & feel, last updated in 2006 or so... Someone is apparently still paying for web hosting (and domain registration).

Comment

Interesting article in Kitplanes (October 2021) about multiples issues with an early Tundra. Bottom line, be happy you are building a well engineered Bearhawk.

Comment

That article in Oct 21 Kitplanes was a bit of a horror story

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Mason View Post
                  That article in Oct 21 Kitplanes was a bit of a horror story
                  Ya it is. And coming from Paul, I'd say that design is finished.

Comment

From what I've read, the Sonex high wing will be just that, a high wing sonex. They've flat stated it's not intended to be a back country plane. As for the RV-15, I expect it will be a very nice plane with performance similar to it's other designs. So I expect TO and Landing distances around 500 ft and cruise in the 170 mph plus range. Maybe not an off airport bush plane, but I expect it'll be suitable for many maintained back country strips.
                    Phil Schaefer
                    Patrol #073
                    Working on Spars

Comment

• Phil
                      Phil commented
                      Editing a comment
                      https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-8/#aircraft-details-2 I've watched a few RV's take off and land with two big guys on board, so I'd say their performance table are pretty accurate.

Also, you'd be amazed at how many cub drivers say the same thing about the Patrol. "No way it can take off and land like a cub and cruise that fast."

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Phil, I also believe that Van's high-wing will likely meet their performance targets – they always do. But the current RV models aren't exactly "off-airport" capable, even if they can takeoff and land in 500 feet or so. They're fine on reasonably smooth grass runways, but I would definitely NOT try to land off-airport. The gear legs and relatively small wheels that help with those nice cruise airspeeds work against off-airport work. By the time you put a set of larger tires on that gear, the cruise speed drops pretty dramatically. Probably still pretty decent cruise speed, but it would not be really competitive with a "standard-tire-size" RV7 or RV8.

It will be interesting to see what the final design looks like, and how much the off-airport STOL-type performance impacts the cruise performance. My take is that the new high-wing RV won't be direct competition for the Bearhawk line, but could be a real competitor for the RANS S-21 and the Glasair Sportsman. Should be fun to watch the marketplace response.

• Phil
                      Phil commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jim, If you read my original post, I clearly said I expect it to be suitable for maintained back country strips, but not off airport. After all, I've seen a lot of pictures of RV's at Johnson Creek, and even the Supercub.org guys call that a back country strip. So, we agree 100%. I'm looking forward to seeing what Vans comes up with.

That said, I had the pleasure to know an old pilot, sadly gone now, who used to land a Beech Bonanza on gravel bars in Alaska. Yes, there were witnesses who confirmed it. So many aircraft we wouldn't consider bush planes can operate off airport. Here in Alaska, the most common commercial bush plane is the Cessna 206/207, and the Cherokee 6-300 is popular for beach landings in Western Alaska. Not what we commonly consider bush planes.
                      Last edited by Phil; 11-09-2021, 11:10 PM.
                  Working...
                  X