Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimpling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimpling question

I'm mounting the pitot tube just aft of the main spar. Normally I would use a hand rivet squeezer to dimple the #6 screw holes, but in this location it doesn't have the reach. My pop rivet squeezer doesn't have an attachment for #6. Any ideas how to dimple in the middle of a large sheet ?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

AE1022
    Above is the part number for a Pop Rivet Dimple Die tool made by Avery, Sold by Aircraft Tool Supply. Its a dimple die with a hole drilled in teh center of the two mating pieces. A nail inserts through the holes and then a common pop rivet gun is used to squeeze the dimple into the sheet.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Brooks - I've got that already but I don't have the die attachment for a #6 machine screw. Any other ideas ? I could use domed screws but it might not look good in this area.

They make a rivet set for a rivet gun that you can put a dimple die in, and drill a hole in a hunk of metal for the other side of the die as a bucking bar. I did break one of my dimple dies that way. For a #6 screw I might use the pop rivet for 1/8 rivet, and finish it with the #6 in the rivet gun.

I did break a die after only 3 or 4 dimples.

Comment

SCREW DIMPLER (#6) - * For #6 AN Screws. Similar to pop dimpler, but uses and allen screw to apply force. Each size comes with male & female die, allen screws and nuts and allen wrench.

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        This is the answer!

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that one as well.

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Save your money...

I purchased what I refer to as hand smashes. Basically a hand held punch. Cheers, bunch of us hanging out at the hangar.
      Provided to YouTube by Spinnin' Records Rise Up (feat. Vamero) · VINAI · Vamero Rise Up (feat. Vamero) â„— 2020 SpinninRecords.com Producer: Andy Dust Prod...

Comment

#6 Stainless Steel domed screws are pretty small and low profile and look good ...... Easier solution IMHO

Comment

If the mast or whatever your putting the screws into is countersunk then you could just use the screw to dimple the sheet as you tighten it. I did this on a couple of occasions, one of them was mounting the pitot mast. I first installed the countersunk nut plates then screwed in the screw which dimpled the sheet as it tightened.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that idea as well. Maybe still start with the pop rivet simpler, and upsize the 1/8 inch to a #6? How did they turn out?

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            I've decided to go with dome head machine screws for the pitot mount, in the interest of simplicity and keeping the project moving.

Drill a hole in a couple of bucking bars (drill them in the side, or somewhere else out of the way). Put your existing dimpling hand-tool bits into the holes. Use the rivet gun to gently buck the dimpling bits together.

Comment

Dome head machine screws, say it ain't so. This is the worst.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              You're probably not going to like the rest of my Bearhawk either then

Nev, I'm sure your plane will be the best one yet. With flush screws you'll be .001 KT faster.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Cracks me up just thinking about countersinking all those screws, then putting bush wheels on the plane...

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim - I did it, trust me - worth every hour
              If you want a rocket ship then get a Glasair. The Bearhawk achieves speed by sheer determination and horsepower

Wait til he puts tire chains on the big tires for winter flying.

Comment

Working...
            X