Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire extinguisher placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire extinguisher placement

Would people give me some insight as to where you have mounted your fire extinguishers?

or better yet where you have remounted them after flying for a bit

images would help

thanks Dan

Mine is in the cargo area.
    Standing by with my flak jacket on
    Last edited by Nev; 06-24-2022, 01:20 AM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Mine is mounted on the floor forward of the left front seat and behind the control stick, aligned parallel to the wingspan.

Comment

Mine is mounted under the panel, accessible in flight.
        4D903F30-4DBE-42A2-9AE3-C857F2615537.png
        Mike

Comment

Here's where I mounted mine:

Last edited by robcaldwell; 06-24-2022, 09:12 AM.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

An a-b-c extinguisher will rremove all the oxygen if used in your cabin - that’s how it stops combustion. I keep mine in the hanger

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Johnston View Post
              An a-b-c extinguisher will rremove all the oxygen if used in your cabin - that’s how it stops combustion. I keep mine in the hanger
              That's a very pertinent point,

I'm not sure that a fire extinguisher could be used inside the cabin successfully, particularly inflight. If it's able to put out a fuel or electrical fire, then it's likely to be harmful to the occupants. I like to have a fire extinguisher onboard, more for the risk of a grass fire on starting, or an engine fire on the ground. But it's inside my plastic survival kit where if it accidentally discharged inflight it should be largely contained. I can get to it relatively quickly, but not inflight.
              Last edited by Nev; 06-24-2022, 11:53 PM.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Paul Johnston
                Paul Johnston commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be ideal in the baggage, as your beyond civilization alot

Mine is up behind the panel by my left knee. It's only held by clamping force from the attachment bracket, so it has come off before during a "heavy" landing (read absolutely stuff up).

But I want that thing handy if there's a fire in the most likely places, and I want fast access.

I can hold my breath until I have time to open a window after the discharge.
              I can't pilot effectively while burning....

Comment

Thanks for the responses, having a fire extinguisher mounted is a requirement in Canada

I am using some of the floor space for a portable Oxygen system ( flying over the Rockies is more comfortable at 14,000 feet)

Comment

As mentioned earlier, do not use an ABC type extinguisher. You will be blinded and choking on the toxic powder. For aircraft use you need a Halon extinguisher. I just checked the prices, glad I kept mine when I sold my last plane.

Comment

Halon for aircraft as Rod said... beside the choking, blinding dry powder issue with ABC, there is the problem of agent+combustion products (not good for humans) and cleaning up after the event... non-trivial. Panel fire with ABC extinguisher? Plan on replacing your glass and anything else that is not dust and gas-sealed (relays, switches, CB's, LRU with fan cooling). Post-use clean-up for Halon is not required beyond the normal detailed inspection of systems required after any fire or smoke-in-cockpit/cabin/bay (soot and effects of high heat, right?) because Halon itself leaves no reside.

Halon is one of those hydrocarbons that was judged bad back in the 1970's <edited > , so the Montreal Protocol as updated in the late 1990s mandated a worldwide end to production. These days, all of the Halon agent used by the aviation industry is recycled, and <edit>.

Halon is also one of those very slippery gas mixes that likes to slide through otherwise gas-proof connections, so plan on replacing or refilling (by manufacturer if service provided) every 5-8 years IMS (read manufacturer instructions). But don't panic... <edit>
                    In the early days of Halon use, it was not unusual to see reports of crew members thinking the onboard extinguisher (a tiny 2.5 lb or 5 lb portable) was empty because "...nothing came out." That squirt or two of Halon was often enough to extinguish a compartment fire that was otherwise unaffected by one of those huge ABC cart-style ramp extinguishers.
                    Last edited by SpruceForest; 07-03-2022, 10:47 AM. Reason: Prophylactic prevention of personal injury due to excessive mirth.

Comment

I was just looking to see if I can purchase Halon in NZ, looks difficult. I came across Carbon Dioxide extinguishers. Does anyone have experience with them for aircraft use?
                      Nev Bailey
                      Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Fire extinguishers and their ratings can get pretty confusing for those of us who have never had to use one and are simply looking to purchase one for our aircraft &ldquo;just in case.&rdquo; What is the difference between the types of ext

Comment

Working...
                        X