Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floating nutplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating nutplates

Having spent a good part of yesterday drilling for nutplates around the fuel bay, I began wondering if it would be okay use floating nutplates versus standard to help with aligning all those screws that are going in on the cover panel. I think that typically you don't use floating in structural application, and the cover panel is such. Any thoughts? Also, did I mention there are a lot of nutplates...starting to love (not) nutplates more nutplates.jpg

The first step in being different to solve a problem is making sure there is a problem. Are your holes not lining up? If they aren't, we might want to talk about why not.

Comment

Look at it from a positive stsndpoint, after you finish you will be a competent nutplate installer and could train others in the skill. You tube is calling.

Comment

I think the floating ones are more trouble than they are worth. Sometimes a temporary screw to hold everything in place helps a lot. That doesn't really work with the floating version.

Comment

Thread drift here and not answering your specific question - sorry. It took me a while to get mine aligning well, but the following points helped to get the alignment very good.

I found that the nut plate tool helped alot with aligning the rivet holes while drilling them. Before squeezing the rivets, I put a screw temporarily in each nut plate to ensure alignment while setting the rivets. A lot of work for sure. If you enjoy this, then you're gonna love removing your tank covers for each 50 hour check. More fun than you can poke a stick at

This is the business :

F0F15460-260B-484A-AC85-B0270B43EF88.jpg
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Our plane has number 6 miniature nutplates (MK1000-06). There are so many of them that the weight difference probably does add up. Generally, here is the sequence I use:

Drill the primary screw hole to match the pilot on the nutplate jig - this could be a 6 or not, depending on which jig you buy.
            Use the jig to drill one leg side to a #40 hole. In a pinch, a nutplate can serve as a jig, but it means having to start a screw in the nutplate. Also, if I use a nutplate as the jig, I only use it once, then install it. If you keep using the same nutplate over and over again, it will get a little wallowed out.
            Flip the jig and drill the other side - if you are using a nutplate as the jig, stick a cleco in that first hole.
            Drill the center hole to final size - if it is a #6 jig and a #6 screw, I usually upsize the aluminum hole to a #8. Otherwise, the aluminum gets in the way.
            Debur all three holes
            Create the countersink or dimple as applicable
            Cleco one side of the nutplate
            Rivet the other, then remove the cleco and rivet the final hole.

Naturally I'd batch these tasks and not do them in order for each nutplate, but rather do a whole panel's worth of each step.

Comment

After I had Jared's sequence down pat and it was going well, I'd put a pod cast, or U2 music through my shop Blue Tooth speaker and ingulf myself in the spiritual elements of Bono's Music. If I start feeling overwhelmed like I will never finish this task, I time myself to see how long it takes me to do a step five times. I then use that information to predict what time I will finish this task that seems like it will never end. My data on my progress is then used to help me to convince my self that I will really not be doing this task for the next three years. I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel sooner based on the clock. Fuel Tank nuplates were like that.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by DBeaulieu View Post
                Any thoughts? Also, did I mention there are a lot of nutplates...starting to love (not) nutplates
                Ahh I remember that. Something like 92 nut plates from memory.

Mine all lined up perfectly, apart from the corner one which goes through like 6 sheets of aluminium... May not be an issue?

If you are having trouble lining them up, there are tricks you can use. No need for jigs or fancy tools.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the replies to all who chimed in! On one wing I have completed drillng all the fuel tank cover nutplates (except the 4 corners) and used a jig to do so. Everything was previously piloted (Q/B wing) from AviPro, so I'm assuming screw holes will all line up and "play nice" - won't really know until riveting things up.

Comment

I have always used a nutplate itself as a drilling jig. More or less like Jared's suggestions. Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X