Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axle Nut Not Fully Engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Nut Not Fully Engaged

DSC_1691-Small.jpg
    I'm using Grove wheels on my Patrol. When I torque the axle nut down to the correct tightness it doesn't fully engage the axle and is about one thread short. Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't quote me, but I don't think the castle area is much counted on for stiction. This may be in a manual but I forget, there was still plenty of room for the pin.

Here's my gear:

Stbd.PNG

I'm probably wrong, but at least there's a lot of engagement.
    Last edited by Archer39J; 10-20-2020, 03:30 PM.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

On the inside of the wheel there is a felt washer and a thin metal washer to hold it in place. The felt is to keep dirt out of the wheel axle. Remove the felt and metal washer and you will have enough room for a full engagement of the axle nut. Don't neglect inspecting/cleaning the wheel bearings. The axle need to be 1/4'1/2" longer.

John Ciolino
      Patrol

Comment

IMO it’s find how it is. My plane is about the same.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Mine ended up about the same.

IMG_1821.jpg
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• spinningwrench
            spinningwrench commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you end up removing the thin washer and felt from the inside of the axle? That would help but would remove some important dust protection, cotter key drilling looks nice.

• robcaldwell
            robcaldwell commented
            Editing a comment
            No I did not remove those washer from the inside as I, like you, wanted protection in that area from dirt and crap.

Yes, the cotter key came out super nice! I know a guy with a jig for that! LOL

Same with my cleavland wheels. Axles are a bit short.

Comment

I kind of think they need to be like that. The axle nuts aren't very thick, and the hole for the cotter pin isn't that large. Not much engagement range between can't get the pin in, and the pin is proud of the nut and isn't keep it from turning.

Comment

• spinningwrench
              spinningwrench commented
              Editing a comment
              Well one should drill the cotter key hole to match the nut so having a little longer axle would be desirable.

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL. My gear is basically assembled and covered, but I haven't tried to pin the nut because I will wait till it is ready to fly to lube it up. I guess I didn't realize they weren't drilled.

• spinningwrench
              spinningwrench commented
              Editing a comment
              I made a nice jig for drilling the axle precisely to match the cotter key. Rob Caldwell used it and your welcome to borrow it when you get to that point.

I had cleaveland wheels on hand when making my axles. The plans length seemed short to me so I added a quarter inch, glad I did.

Comment

spinningwrench would you mind posting a picture of the jig you made for drilling the axle?

Comment

Here is a CAD drawing of the split axle drilling jig. The two drill bushings allow one to drill a perfectly centered hole from either side so the cotter pin goes in easily.

JIG ASSEMBLY.pdf

Comment

Nice work on that jig! I wish I had the CAD skills to draw things like that.

Just to clarify for those that don't have access to those skills, there is no need to use a jig. You have a higher chance of screwing up,but if you're careful, it's not hard to drill the holes through the axles by hand. I got the nut tightened up to where i wanted it, drilled one hole through the nut, then stuffed a cotter pin in that hole to hold it in place and drilled the other side. No issues.

Don't take this post the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with building cool tools like that. I think it's awesome if you're able. I just don't want newer members to think it's an requirement.
                  4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
                  IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• spinningwrench
                    spinningwrench commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The free Solidworks edition is available through the EAA. Fun skill to pick up.

I just used a V-block drill guide and a C-clamp. Worked out just fine.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

Many ways to do it of course. My system lets you predetermine the exact cotter key placement and drill a hole in an already threaded surface. I have loaned to several people who really liked it.

Comment

Working...
                    X