Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings Bearhawkers! Just a quick check-in to say everything is going well with BH5 biuld. The biuld is getting a little western now! Been some crazy weather around some parts. Hope you all are doing well. Cheers
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That doesn't look like a Lycoming!
      All joking aside, the auto conversions intrigue me. Did you go with an Autopsru or Robinson V8 drive? The installed weight I have seen for the LS3 is a roughly 100-150lb more than the 0-540 but I am wondering if it would affect the CG in a good way. I have read several reports of the 4-place running out of CG well before running out of gross weight and having more weight on the nose would help with that. Out of curiosity, have you run the numbers on the BH5 yet?
      I have thought a 300-320HP turbo-normalized V6 may hit the sweet spot between power and installed weight but there really is not much on the market that fits in the category. I will likely have plenty of time to think about it while building and perhaps that niche will get filled in the meantime.

Keep up the posts! I have really appreciated the information you have shared!

- Bill
      Bill Duncan
      Troy, Idaho
      Bearhawk Five - Plans #5053
      Builders-Log

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Nev, I have never came across any information on the B wings c/g. Your flight testing information is greatly appreciated.
        I am using a 10.5 aft leading-edge as aerodynamic center of lift in my calculations. Moving away from the recommended engine installation is a major deal. I simply would not suggest it to anyone who is not certain of their understanding & ability to be safe & successful.

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Nev, I really like you. In your videos it is easy to tell that you are a seasoned professional who imho is qualified to instruct.
        You may find it interesting to know the BH5 fuselage is 15" longer then the BH4. Firewall to tail post is 204" in the BH5 design. As well the prototype is flying around with counter weights in single pilot operations.
        Where some people see problems I see opportunities my friend!

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill, We definitely could use a different engine other than an LS3. 100% However! The LS3 is the single most modifiable engine because of all the amazing aftermarket support GMC promotes. As far as the posting goes you may noticed that my posting frequency has dropped off. I don't want to be responsible for any craziness. The facts of the situation is not everyone should be building their own airplane. Hopefully this doesn't apply to me! Lol

I’m really hoping that the Corsair power ls3 conversion is a success and well proven when I start my build in about 5 years. I love the LS3 and am rooting for anyone that is brave enough to try the conversion!

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, do not wait 5 years to start if you plan to scratch build.

Lookie Lookie what came into my possession today
      Attached Files

Comment

Yer gonna need a bigger hangar, lol.

Comment

Happy new year Bearhawkers. Been rounding up all different firewall forward parts. For simplicity I ordered a 84" 4 blade electric inflight magnum IVO propeller. Control surfaces are well underway. Enjoying every minute of this project. I included a picture of the starter being weighed. It's lighter than a skyteck starter.
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Happy New Year to everyone!

Comment

Greetings, Sharing is caring. With everything we are all experiencing because of things going on in our communities. Our projects are a healthy distraction from it all! :-) There was talk about adding skin stiffeners to the B wing in response to the EAA photo of oil canning. This is how I applied the various solutions to my wings. Attached are photos of my stiffeners before skinning. 0.025 x 1.75 double staggered rows of 426AD3 rivets.
              This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Greetings fellow aviators, I'm enjoying everyone's post on the various threads in our community. Thank you for taking the time. So today is my day to post. The engineering on the firewall forward is basically complete to the point it can be completed to in the concept of pen to paper. I have been satisfying my busy hands with assembly of the flaps. Today I'm fitting and drilling gussets to the 0.032 spar. Flaps lol more work then you would think, imho I took some pictures for anyone who could use the visual version of the story. Cheers
                This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

These flaps are huge! There are very close to 400 rivets to squeeze & pull per flap. :( work work!
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• triumphantduke
                    triumphantduke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    looks awesome! thank you for the steady posts, assisting others in getting their bearhawk "fix" :D

• Sir Newton
                    Sir Newton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    100% fyi, I'm at 104 hrs on the flaps to date.

Lookie what showed up on UPS today. IVO Magnum 3 blade inflight electric adjustable propeller! 350hp to turn this monster.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• triumphantduke
                    triumphantduke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not "learned" enough to comment, but looks cool! I'm curious to learn from others what the pro cons are for electric adjustable vs regular oil pressure driven governor, although that might just open a can of worms haha

• jaredyates
                    jaredyates commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm just munching on my popcorn looking forward to how it turns out!

• Sir Newton
                    Sir Newton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You guys are awesome, electric vs hydraulic Cost, electric are more expensive. I really like buttery popcorn.

Greetings Bearhawkers
                  It is just a great day today! It is my pleasure to report that LG/RH flaps have been completed. Pictures attached, they need a complete primer application still. However they are complete and straight, that is all that matters today. I set a flap on the wing of my PA-28-140 for an interesting comparison.
                  Best Regards

Comment

Greetings, attached some pictures of the RH aileron in colecos. Needs to be deburred & dimpled yet. LH is basically at the same stage of construction. Nothing but fun here in the Communist Republic of Canada.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Greetings great warriors of the Bearhawk Nation :-) lol, just a chipper update from a fellow builder. I am finally starting the riveting on Ailerons. There is some man hours in the fabrication of parts, fitting, deburring, dimpling, alodine, final assembly of these control surfaces. Anyways it Friday have a great weekend!

Comment

Does anyone want to surrender the part number for the Model 5 Windshield from LP Plastics?
                        As far as I can tell the windshield is for a Cessna C-182 thickness of 3/16 A part# would make life easier for the scratch builders.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                          Mark Goldberg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am going by memory now so this # is not to be trusted. But I think the part # is 338. Actually - if you look at the C182 windshields at LP AeroPlastics - there is only ONE C182 windshield that is 3/16". All the rest are 1/4". Mark

• Sir Newton
                          Sir Newton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome ! Thank-you Mark
                          PT#338 CL
                      Working...
                      X