Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companion Progress Thus far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companion Progress Thus far

I guess someone needs to update progress on their Companion project. I received my QB on June 12 and as of today, I have installed the stringers, floor boards, tail, control cables, pitch servo, trim servo, firewall, control sticks, pedals, fuel line, and electric fuel pump. Landing gear, and brakes are next, waiting on multiple shipments from Spruce. I basically ran out of parts over the holiday or it would be sitting on its gear today, I think. Here's a few photos to make it more interesting:

IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg

Nice progress!

Andy

Comment

Nice work and fast!

Comment

Freaking awesome
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Thanks, but it's all going to slow down when I get to fabric since I know less than nothing about that. I'm going to spend some quality time at the Stewart Systems workshop at Oshkosh. Plus I'm not in love with the floorboards so there will be some "redo" on them. I'm just getting the easy part done

Comment

Nice work !
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Just a quick update. the boot cowl is almost done. I am working on the left door extension and had to buy a new piece of 025 because I mis-cut what I had. I'm extending the "optional" piece under the door sill back to the rear door former. I am not sure why that piece is only supplied with 1/2 the metal it should have but I am adding to it with a riveted seam. Looks fine. I'm also doing a load of wiring in prep for fabric. I must be a real nerd because I really enjoy the wiring part. Fabric on the other hand has yet to grow on me, but it will, it will!

I'm going with electric trim since I'm using the Dynon Skyview system and I like their autopilot trim controller. I have it on my RV-8 and it makes cross country flying almost boring. I also mounted my elevator servo in the tail area so I have to make sure I build in access to be able to pull it out if necessary. Other notes include the avionics shelf installed behind the panel. I will move the tabs for the throttle, prop and mixture below the panel as I've seen some do. Being only 5'8" tall, I'm not too terribly worried about hitting it with my knee, etc. I've tried hard to reduce the avionics behind the panel because of access (learned this the hard way on my -8), so I've distributed most of the non-panel mounted boxes to areas where I can easily get to them. The shelf in the area behind the baggage area will be easy to get to. I'm going with fuses for this plane. I did a VPX for the -8 and while it's been rock solid, I just don't want to spend that money again, so I've mounted the fuse panel where it can be easily inspected and fuses replaced. The rear area has it's own fuse panel and a connection to the single point ground.

I'm pretty pleased with where I am so far, but the elephant in the room is fabric and I have to gird up my loins and put on my game face and get to it soon.

Some photos:

Attached Files

Comment

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                You have got my attention. Nice work.

Looking good Mark
              N678C

Comment

Mark - moving your throttle/engine controls below the panel might interfere with stick movement. The stick needs to go under than panel for forward stick movement. Be careful you do not build something below the panel that will not allow that. Mark

Comment

• robcaldwell
                  robcaldwell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. Stick movement and knees were the reasons I placed my controls on the panel and above the tube. Now that I am flying, my right hand rests perfectly on the black knob and I am happy with that placement decision.

• Mark Dickens
                  Mark Dickens commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am aware of that issue and will keep that in mind. Knees won't be an issue for me with my height...I will remount the elevators and take a second look at the travel issue before cutting anything!

Finally got started on fabric covering the horizontal stab. I think it going fairly well so far, but I have a couple of observations:

1. In the Stewart Systems videos, the idea that you can apply the Ekobond and let it dry for as long as you like and then stick the fabric to it isn't exactly as it sounds. You need the glue to be at least a little tacky to hold the fabric, I've found. You can iron it on but I couldn't get the fabric to stay in place with finger pressure alone unless the glue was still a little green.

2. The fancy pinking shears sold by Stewart, aka Florian Rotary Pinkers have not worked well for me at all. They don't cut cleanly and you can't use them effectively in tight areas. My cuts with them look like a rabid cat got a hold of the fabric. I'm heading out to the store to get a pair of Fiskars. I think that part of the issue with the Pinkers is that the dacron is so thin and tough, it has a hard time cutting cleanly. For over $90.00, they have been a disappointment. Anyone want to buy them for a good discount?

3. The Fabric Pro iron is awesome. Heats up fast too. Worth every penny they cost IMO

Comment

• rodsmith
                  rodsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forget where I got my rotary pinker cutter. Out of the box it cut cleanly except in one spot so that was a show stopper. I sent it back and just bought a good pair of pinking shears. Everyone should buy a good digital iron, definitely worth the cost. 30 years ago you could buy a good clothes iron that would hold temperature pretty closely. Most of the chinese junk today will swing 40 to 50 degrees.

• robcaldwell
                  robcaldwell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also did not have much luck with the rotary pinking shears... Bought straight pinking shears and never looked back.

Edited....upon reflection my post was a bit off topic...
                Last edited by Bcone1381; 10-26-2021, 06:20 AM.
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

My finished panel arrived today:

IMG_1299.jpg
                  I created the layout and had Steve Schurwald at Aircraft Specialty Flightlines (www.asflightlines.com) fabricate it out of .090 6061-T6, powder coat and screen print it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That s a great panel, nice clean layout
                    Scott Ahrens
                    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Looks. Great
                      N678C

Comment

I would love to find someone to etch my CF panel, right now it is just mylar prints for labels. Yours looks great.

Comment

Working...
                        X