Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit #7 arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rodsmith
    commented on 's reply
    Where did you source the high temp zip ties?

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Over the past few days I have been securing lines and hoses in the FWF area using high temperature zip ties and silicon tubing to create standoffs so there is no rubbing or chaffing.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Rear windows went in today for the last time. I used Butyl sealant tape to seal against water leaks. As you can see form the photos there is a bit of putty removal needed, but I want to give it a few days to really settle in before I remove the excess.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    When your jet lag and work hangover are so severe you don’t trust yourself to work on the plane you do this
    IMG_4855.jpg IMG_4854.jpg

Then the next day I did some of this
    IMG_4877.jpg IMG_4879.jpg
    Back to working on the plane today

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    How do you ruin a perfectly good 5/16ths drill bit? Use it to upsize the stinger tailwheel spring.
    IMG_4706.jpg
    But it is all done and installed with a close tolerance AN175-15 bolt
    IMG_4704.jpg IMG_4705.jpg
    After drilling it out, both the spring and the mounting hole, both were reamed. Note: pull the reamer through
    Last edited by Utah-Jay; 09-03-2023, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    95+% of my baffling/engine cooling prior to engine start are completed, it was a multi month process. The last part was slicing the rear silicone so slide into the U-supports for a night airtight fit.

IMG_4707.jpg IMG_4712.jpg IMG_4708.jpg IMG_4711.jpg IMG_4713.jpg IMG_4709.jpg IMG_4710.jpg IMG_4709.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Installed nearly the last of the silicon sheets for the cooling, I have the under the front ramp to do, but that is super ease. I actually doubled up the “thin” black stuff that cam with the Vans kit so it would be stiffer. I just did not want the red/orange visible below the front ramps

Tomorrow starts the trimming
    IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4683.jpg IMG_4682.jpg IMG_4681.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Of course there was more more on the engine cooling
    IMG_4672.jpg
    I wrapped a cabin heat scat tube with anti-chaff tape in case there is any

IMG_4673.jpg

Wrapped the front end of the same cabin heat system with Kevlar heat shield as it is close to the exhaust. I also put a double standoff to keep the scat tube from making contact with the exhaust​
    IMG_4674.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Still working on cooling, installed the silicone on the baffling on both sides and applied RTV to seal it up.

IMG_4664.jpg IMG_4665.jpg IMG_4666.jpg
    I also put an adel clamp on the lower spark plug lines and CHT and EGT probe wires
    IMG_4668.jpg IMG_4669.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Primed all my baffling parts, painted the parts that are visible through the air intake.

Installed the front ramps and back sections, support braces are permanently in place. I also riveted the oil cooler plenum to the back baffle and RTV’ed it
    IMG_4656.jpg IMG_4657.jpg IMG_4659.jpg IMG_4655.jpg IMG_4658.jpg IMG_4661.jpg IMG_4660.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Airflow is all set and ducts cut to length including carb heat. The cabin heat scat tubing will be held away from the exhaust with high-temp zip ties and fuel hose

IMG_4649.jpg IMG_4648.jpg IMG_4650.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    rodsmith

I just could not leave the visible parts bare aluminum. At first I was just gonna prime them, then my OCD kicked in

Leave a comment:

• rodsmith
    commented on 's reply
    Looks real nice, I've been debating leaving them bare aluminum, alodining them or priming them, not going to top coat mine.

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Front left baffle ramp all riveted, primed and painted. Yeah there is a bit of a run, it will be corrected tomorrow
    IMG_4647.jpg

Leave a comment:

• jaredyates
    replied
    Hang in there Jay, I remember also having weeks in the baffling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X