Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit #7 arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    IMG_4638.jpg IMG_4637.jpg Looks like I exceeded the photos on the previous post

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    The final stretch is in sight… for the baffling

Plug line gaskets are in
    IMG_4633.jpg IMG_4634.jpg IMG_4635.jpg IMG_4636.jpg

oil cooler plenum from the baffling is cleco’d in
    IMG_4637.jpg

Cabin heat is plumbed on the co-pilot side
    IMG_4640.jpg IMG_4639.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Lots of progress on the baffling today. I got all the side pieces fitted, the front intake area is now fitted and the brackets have been drilled and cleco’d

Long Slow process, 8 hours in it today

IMG_4616.jpg IMG_4619.jpg IMG_4617.jpg IMG_4621.jpg IMG_4618.jpg IMG_4620.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rodsmith
    replied
    I feel your pain. The baffling work has turned into the most frustrating time consuming part of the project. Currently shaping foam for carbon transition pieces from the front of the aluminum baffling to the cowl inlets. I have a 3" prop extension which complicates the process further.

DSCF2152.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Bcone1381
    replied
    I've done that part of the baffling. I'm thinking you have the skills to make those ramps out of fiberglass. Forming the aluminum sheet in this area was tedious.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    If anyone ever says baffling is fun I might hit them with a shovel

This is super slow and tedious, I am just measuring about 20 times, then a few more then times for good measure (pun intended) I finally started drilling and putting things together today.

Front ramp/ram air area
    IMG_4611.jpg IMG_4612.jpg IMG_4614.jpg IMG_4613.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied

Messed with baffling again today, and also clamped in my plenum and scat tube for the oil cooler. The scat tube is 4” for a lot of air flow, 3” to 4” doubles the volume
    IMG_4548.jpg

Leave a comment:

• TrueAirSpeed
    replied
    Hang in there Jay! You’re doing fine.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Because TrueAirSpeed gave me grief about not posting lately…

Yes, I have been chipping away at the baffling, as well as priming for painting. I did try painting the spinner, but the environment was just not sterile enough to get the results I was shooting for. I found a new place to paint.

Hmmm, baffling. I will say this is the first time during the build that I actually felt defeated. It was just kicking my ass! Made progress today. Did a lot of match drilling and made progress for what seems like the first time in a week. It was a rarity, but I was so defeated I actually took a day and went fishing to get a break.

Here is my progress
    IMG_4541.jpg IMG_4540.jpg IMG_4544.jpg IMG_4543.jpg IMG_4542.jpg
    Had some interesting visitors yesterday

IMG_4531.jpg IMG_4537.jpg IMG_4538.jpg

Marine 1 and 2

Leave a comment:

• spinningwrench
    commented on 's reply
    Normally the bolts on the carb float
    bowl are either safety wired
    or use the special no spin lock washers.

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    It was a baffling day, lots of measuring and them more measuring, then cutting. I was sneaking up on what I wanted, so I probably averaged over 2 cut/trims per piece. Several took 3 or 4
    IMG_4491.jpg IMG_4489.jpg IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4497.jpg IMG_4496.jpg IMG_4493.jpg IMG_4495.jpg IMG_4494.jpg

This is the end of the day baffling scrap pile
    IMG_4488.jpg

I had been monitoring my new GY 26’s for tire pressure, especially after one had a bad valve that I replaced. After 3 days holding pressure I put on the hob caps and re-installed the brake pads which is not one of my favorite activities. All safety wired up too.

IMG_4499.jpg IMG_4501.jpg

Yesterday I finally cut the pass through for the carb heat and ran the cable. I reattached the Throttle and Mixture. I had to build a stand-off for the Carb Heat cable and then cut the cable to length and attach.

IMG_4498.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Let the fun begin. I must say the Vans directions/diagram leave a lot to be desired.
    IMG_4484.jpg IMG_4483.jpg IMG_4482.jpg
    Luckily I have a buddy with the cowling off his Kitfox that has a Lycoming engine to get so tips on how this all works.

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Pinholes…. Thousands of them are filled and sanded
    IMG_4480.jpg

Nose Bowl is ready doe primer and paint

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    Perfection is the enemy of completion

Leave a comment:

• Utah-Jay
    replied
    This is what 5 1/2 hours of sanding looks like after yesterday's application of the pinhole filler. The blue spots are superfill in a few areas that needed filling

IMG_4479.jpg

This is what 2 hours of changing out tires looks like in a dry climate. I have no clue how you guys live in humidity
    IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg I sold the 26” ABW back to the original owner, luckily he wasn’t them to run during the winter months. I figured the GY’s will be a lot more durable for all the phase 1 flights and I figure I will get in the air during the winter when our grass is covered with snow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X