Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IO-580 Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO-580 Cost

Does anyone know what the cost of one of these will be?

The closest thing I can find looking around is $138,750! :eek:

I know the cylinders are ridiculously expensive. There are a lot of light twins sitting around rotting away. I would think a lot of those have the bigger case that you might be able to rebuild with normal angle valve cylinders for at least 300 hp. The difference in price might be pretty dramatic for the extra 15 hp.

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      There are also a lot of big Continentals out there. I have seen quite a few good deals on 520-550s. I think the Lyc 580 has a lot of competition out there.
      I will pay up for lighter. I will also pay up for more power. But I do associate a dollar figure with both.

I believe the cost of a new IO580 will be less than half of the number you mention if purchased through Bearhawk for your Model 5 QB kit. I think the IO540 angle valve will be the most popular option but that is just a guess. When you order a kit I am happy to get firm pricing for you and help you buy. Mark

Comment

Does the IO580 gain the extra displacement by longer stroke or larger bore diameter? It's not hard to boost a parallel valve 540 to 300 HP, so I bet an angle valve 540 could be safely modified past 315HP. Lycon's CNC intake port work gains 5hp/cylinder verified by dyno.

Comment

Same stroke, larger bore. 5.319 vs 5.125.

Comment

I ran both 540 300 hp and Continental 520 and 550 Later Found aircraft put the ridiculously expensive IO 580 Boutique engine in the Expedition.
          Even the 300 hp 540 is more expensive in any way than a 520 or 550 Continental, they use more fuel and the cylinder wear much worse than the smaller

260 hp 540s they are not even close to the same engine in operating cost and longevity ( Just a heads up). The Continental 300 HP engines are way lighter and cheaper.

Parts are super easy to get for them, they have a competitive after market for accessories and parts -- no so at all for the 580.

A ported 520 is a potent engine , not enough the 550 will do anything you ever need.

Ask any of the commercial Cherokee 6 operators the 540s wear the cylinders so bad that by 800- 900 hours they burn a quart of oil every 2 hours.

If I was to rate any of the big 6 cylinder engines the Lycoming 0-540 series is by far the best engine out there up to the fuel injected 260 HP next is the continental IO 520 and after that the

IO 550 after that the super heavyweight 300 hp Lycoming IO 540 and boutique engine IO580 in very last place.

Last edited by Gerd Mannsperger; 07-12-2020, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerd Mannsperger View Post
            I ran both 540 300 hp and Continental 520 and 550 Later Found aircraft put the ridiculously expensive IO 580 Boutique engine in the Expedition.
            Even the 300 hp 540 is more expensive in any way than a 520 or 550 Continental, they use more fuel and the cylinder wear much worse than the smaller

260 hp 540s they are not even close to the same engine in operating cost and longevity ( Just a heads up). The Continental 300 HP engines are way lighter and cheaper.

Parts are super easy to get for them, they have a competitive after market for accessories and parts -- no so at all for the 580.

A ported 520 is a potent engine , not enough the 550 will do anything you ever need.

Ask any of the commercial Cherokee 6 operators the 540s wear the cylinders so bad that by 800- 900 hours they burn a quart of oil every 2 hours.

If I was to rate any of the big 6 cylinder engines the Lycoming 0-540 series is by far the best engine out there up to the fuel injected 260 HP next is the continental IO 520 and after that the

IO 550 after that the super heavyweight 300 hp Lycoming IO 540 and boutique engine IO580 in very last place.

Interesting experience. My Continental vs Lycoming experience is a bit different The 540 I have the most time behind by far is the TIO-540-J2BD which is 350HP and usually found on a pa31. It's the piston engine I have the most time behind by far. In a few thousand hours I never had a problem.
            The other issue with continental is there is wildly less experimental aftermarket for them. Almost non existent.

The angle valve 360 is 5lbs per cylinder heavier than the parallel. I don't know why a NA 540 would all that much more than that. They do cost a lot more.
            Last edited by zkelley2; 07-22-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard that the crank is a little heavier on the angle valve engines.

• Gerd Mannsperger
              Gerd Mannsperger commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the TIO 540 is a Great Engine in a Twin, a very stable operating Environment.

Often times this does not relate all that well into the same reliability in a stol aircraft or worse on floats.

Point in case the TIO 520 is a troublesome engine for float equipped cessna 206 aircraft but treaded right they go TBO on a twin no problem.

My plan is to explore utilizing either LS3 gas or TDI diesel Audi engine or M-14-PF. I have not ruled out a 540 install, however not my first choice.
            Last edited by Sir Newton; 09-14-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Alan
              Alan commented
              Editing a comment
              With the tdi what PSRU would you use? The “raptor-aircraft” guy made his own Cog style one. but he’s been having some issues with it. What about engine management systems? I to think a tdi Bearhawk would be great.

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              My 1st choice is a GMC crate engine LSA with a firewall forward PSRU swing a 4 blade MT. This combo will make 430hp with 550fbs of torque @ 3800 rpm
              The TDI is not on the list due to weight. That is a heavy little engine. M-14-PF is also a heavy engine.
              Last edited by Sir Newton; 04-29-2021, 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling

I am also looking at the ls3. Doesn’t seem like very many down sides to an ls3 auto conversion the largest I can think of is resale value. But then again I wouldn’t be selling my Bearhawk.

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              I have ordered the LS3 crate engine. Firewall Forword Psru is matched to the LS3 engine. I am deciding whether to use the GMC ESM or go with an aftermarket product. GMC offers great support and all the tooling needed to support their engine.

Is there a reliable PSRU available? I spoke to the Robinson V8 conversion guy in Ontario that sells the LS3 - LS9 Seabee kits, but they haven't sent me any info yet and seem to be concentrating on other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewko View Post
              Is there a reliable PSRU available? I spoke to the Robinson V8 conversion guy in Ontario that sells the LS3 - LS9 Seabee kits, but they haven't sent me any info yet and seem to be concentrating on other projects.
              This is the major issue. A properly engineered psru doesn’t exist and the ones that do are expensive. My Conti cost less to buy and field overhaul than the current LS psru offering cost.

I’d be happy to put an LS engine on an airplane. They are reliable and easy to maintain. I know jet boat guys with thousands of hours on their LS engines. One commercial outfit runs their LS engines to 5000hrs routinely but they replace them at that point. We just need a good psru.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                Firewall Forword's is a properly designed drive. I have been told they have never had a failure in 25+ years.

• zkelley2
                zkelley2 commented
                Editing a comment
                They don't seem to publish any resonance testing data. So you get to just hope that you're not the unlucky one.

The guy with the bull moose might be worth talking to. He put a lot of effort into his conversion.

Comment

OUR MISSION Manufacture modern, reliable replacement engines that reignite general aviation and reduce our environmental footprint. 11/2022: C172 Experimental Update […]

Are these guys a legitimate hope?

Seems like I've read about them in a few places recently. I think there is at most 2 aircraft flying, and "looking for investors" leads me to believe the answer to my question is doubtful.
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Sir Newton
                  Sir Newton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sure looks like a GMC LS3 engine!

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably some hope, but I wouldn't give them a dollar until they can ship you an engine.

I see corsair plans to have a 182 conversion in late 2022, they may have a viable product but it will be few years before it's proven, if it makes it to market.
                I spoke to Ray @ MooseMods, he has quite a few hrs on his Moose demo on wheels with 525 hp, and has a couple 525 hp amphib/straight floats Moose conversions and a 430 hp 182 conversion and that will be flying soon. I think the Moose may have had his fuselage upgrades to 4000 lb gross, which would be a good test for the PSRU. They are getting a lot higher cruise speeds than an 0540 Moose, due to the more streamlined cowl, and the extra power.
                Ray said they would de-rate the LS3 to 480 or 430 hp for take off only for the Bearhawk. In another year they should have a better idea on reliability with those 525 hp moose on floats. Will wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by Hewko View Post
                  I see corsair plans to have a 182 conversion in late 2022, they may have a viable product but it will be few years before it's proven, if it makes it to market.
                  I spoke to Ray @ MooseMods, he has quite a few hrs on his Moose demo on wheels with 525 hp, and has a couple 525 hp amphib/straight floats Moose conversions and a 430 hp 182 conversion and that will be flying soon. I think the Moose may have had his fuselage upgrades to 4000 lb gross, which would be a good test for the PSRU. They are getting a lot higher cruise speeds than an 0540 Moose, due to the more streamlined cowl, and the extra power.
                  Ray said they would de-rate the LS3 to 480 or 430 hp for take off only for the Bearhawk. In another year they should have a better idea on reliability with those 525 hp moose on floats. Will wait and see...
                  How’s he getting 525 out of an LS3? I personally would be unwilling to run the rpms up high enough to achieve those numbers. A stock LS3 tops out in HP (400) at about 4500 rpm though gobs of power are available with engine mods. That’s plenty for a BH and 4500rpm for takeoff and climb is not big deal. Then you could pull it back to 3-3.5k and cruise all day long while making more power than a 540 running flat out.
                  Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
                  X