Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetterman Exhaust Hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetterman Exhaust Hangers

RE: IO540 6 Cylinder Vetterman Specific Exhaust

Does anyone have pictures of how they hung their 6 cylinder Vetterman tail pipes? The kit provides adjustable cushioned stand offs. But I could not seem to makes those work. I do have my exhaust installed and the tail pipes are secured with rigid connections. I know that won't to cut it. But my brain could not spit out an appropriate configuration. I was watching Aero_tango walk around of his 4 Place, and noticed that he has the two pipes secured horizontally and laterally to each other, but I could not see what was securing them vertically.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Hey Rob,
    This is what I did.
    In the first and second pictures, you see the two horizontal hangers that connect to a collet clamped around each tail pipe. The bottom horizontal hanger is attached to the bottom bolt which secure the collet . The top horizontal hanger is attach to a vertical tab, which is part of the collet. A vertical hanger is also attached to this vertical tab. BTW, I built the collet from a steel sheet and bent the vertical tab up.

If you look at the third picture, you see the other end of the vertical hanger. The vertical hanger is attach to one of the sump bolt, via a steel strap, which was bent about 70 degrees down.

Hope this help. Mike

FFC698A4-DF96-4698-BFC3-E159C16EEE89.png

B8B211D6-E318-47EC-BF27-B800D558DFF8.jpeg

7F393783-C03E-470A-BB94-66363A5E20B3.png

Attached Files

Comment

I am not there yet but getting close. The engine moves around on the mounts. I am assuming you can rigidly support the exhaust to the engine, but anything aft of that would have to be flexible. Rubber hangers aft of the mufflers, steel straps to the engine case/sump farther forward?

Mike;
      In the pics you have round steel straps going into rubber hose? Is the hose for a flexible support, or just covering the steel?

Comment

• Aero_tango
        Aero_tango commented
        Editing a comment
        The hose function has a dampener/isolator. Those little SS tube are cut in half, and the hose rejoined them, making them flexible.
        Also to note, all mounting hardware to the SS tube are bolt/ castlenut. They are not very tight. I can rotate them very easily with a wrench. The whole system is suspended and must be able to move around.
        Last edited by Aero_tango; 11-27-2019, 06:18 AM.

The hose is to isolate some of the vibrations and allow some flex.

I had a hell of a time coming up with how to mount those as well and ended up mounting them to the engine mount via adel clamps. I'm not terribly happy with it either, but am at a loss for a better place to attach them to.

I think I've seen someone fashion a bracket off the firewall for attachment, but my firewall is pretty full or has interference issues with accessories.

Comment

• Aero_tango
        Aero_tango commented
        Editing a comment
        Attaching the tailpipe/muffler to the firewall or engine mount might impose more stress to the system. Much better to secure to the engine itself. The engine rock left/right quite a bit during start/shutdown. If they are tied to the engine (with some dampening tube), everything move in unison...

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's one of the purposes of the hose, to allow that movement. The directions and all of the mounting on the RV10's have it to the engine mount. That's why it comes with all those adel clamps.

Aero_tango Ok. I see what you have done there, Mike. Thanks!

I ran an angle across the engine mounting bracket and hung the tailpipes from there (see pic). But that's too rigid. I now understand how you have the tail pipes attached to the engine case with vertical hangers. My angle situation isn't entirely all for naught. I can use that angle as a basis for holding everything in place while I create a tab from the engine case to mount a vertical hanger. Then remove the angle.

I am also wondering if each end of the aluminum tubes should have beads pressed in them to keep the rubber hoses from pulling off.

IMG_2305.JPG
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I am also wondering if each end of the aluminum tubes should have beads pressed in them to keep the rubber hoses from pulling off.

On my RV-7, I didn’t bead the hanger tube, and they kept slipping. I bead them on the BH, and didn’t slip so far (80 hrs). Mike

Comment

robcaldwell to help you visualize the vertical installation, refer to this PDF drawing from Vans, for the RV7/6/9. I basically used the same approach for the vertical hanging.

Preview....
          BEBBA5FF-064F-4249-B826-3C917F1A36D1.png

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Good info. I would have been looking for the answer to this in a couple months.

• robcaldwell
            robcaldwell commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff! Thanks so much!

On my RV-7 I needed double clamps to keep the hangar tubes from slipping.
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Is there any reason not to use a stud on the accessory case (such as the hydraulic) for hanging the exhausts from ?

38074CA9-8C66-451E-82FF-EA790BFF273B.jpeg
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              The other vertical hanger in the photo attaches to the engine mount using an Adel clamp. I’ll see if it can be attached to the engine in similar fashion to the other hanger.

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              This install is not how Vetterman instructions direct the installation. Why not follow the instructions?

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve ended up with the oil cooler in the way which means I can’t attach the right side hanger to the engine mount.

I have no operating experience. I installed mine like the Vans diagram in post #7. It was an easy install, and it isolates the exhaust to the engine. The vibration issue was brought up in post #3. My thinking was its installation was easier to install, and reduces about 2400 stresses a minute on the system. Vibration issues was discussed on a Vans Forum. (I cant find the reference)

My tubes are stainless from vetterman. Slippage is an issue, Seems like AL crack. Seems like scoring the tubes radially or oval the ends slightly helps stop slippage.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              You can put a "bead" on the tube or 3 or 4 little spot welds radially around the end of the tube. That should reduce or completely stop slippage. You could even put the tube in a flaring tool and put a partial flare on the end.

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Slippage is only an issue when the rubber tubes are new, they will lock into place given time. There is no need to make physical changes to the stainless steel parts, as far as I can recall.

I also did the same as the Vans diagram in post #7, however I attached mine to the engine mount rather than the engine. If there is extra vibration, I have not noticed it. Probably not a bad idea to attach it to the engine instead.
              Last edited by Battson; 03-22-2021, 05:32 PM.

This is the only picture I can find. I welded up hangers that support the tail pipes to the engine and also serves for a webbing to mount and secure the throttle and mixture cable ends. I use two sump bolts and one carb mount stud to provide a rigid frame. I have made these for the aircraft I have constructed and for others too and have not had any breakage of parts, some over 600 hrs of use until this one I made for the Patrol. This one did crack the right hanger tab. I think I could have used a thicker tubing and maybe some reinforcement in this area. For a quick fix, I built a clamp that joined the hanger to the pipe clamp to get me through until I have a chance to take it apart and repair. It’s a lot of tedious time to get it all correct but has worked for me.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for posting this. Regarding Throttle Mixture cable ends..... I am in the midst of the "education, design, fabricating, try out, failure, trash, and back to education" loop. Good to see another idea. The exhaust hangers are right there!

Thanks for the ideas chaps. I’ve “squashed” the ends in a vice, but I’ll try my rotary flaring tool as well. I’m going to see if all 4 hangers can be attached to the engine to help isolate vibration.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
            X