Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool advice requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool advice requested

I have pretty much completed my wings and am well into the fuselage. Tools required for the sheet metal were as expected. Now however, I find myself building lots of little brackets, clips, flanges, and mounts. I foresee a great deal more of this work ahead. I have a 4.5” grinder, wood bandsaw and a very small bench sander with a wheel and a 1” belt. The sander is pretty wimpy, but I can do the outside cutting and shaping with these.

For the inside shaping, I’ve been using step drills, files, and a dremel with little sanding wheels. It sucks! What do you folks recommend? Better dremel bits? If so, what kind works for aluminum? Or should I step up to a die grinder? In that is the case, knowing that the bits are critical, what should I get? Thanks.

I used a die grinder with rotary rasp bits. There may be something better but that's what I found for the inside stuff. If you look at harbor freight's website, search for die grinder accessories, it was the only thing that came up for me. Sorry I don't know how to link it in to here.

They are very coarse bits and you will have to do some clean up with a file or dremel or whatever you like.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Dremel also sells carbide cutters that last a very long time if you don't bend the shaft. The little Dremel drum sanders are handy, but just don't last. The carbine cutters work on AL and steel.

Comment

I initially resisted it, but I find I use my HF oscillating spindle sander all the time for various projects. I've mostly done wood, but I could see it helping with aluminum if backed (or sandwiched) with sacrificial wood piece(s). Like all of the spinny things, watch those fingers!!!

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
        4-Place Model 'B' Serial 1529B (with many years to go...)

Comment

This is a very good topic to discuss!!!! shaping and clean-up ....Abrasive's on the inside of stuff.

When I sand aluminum I have problems with the abrasive getting clogged unless it's done by hand. Rollies rasp idea wont do that though. I usually hand sand after I rasp.

I have a Adele Hand Nibbler. I feel like I have to fight with it every time I use it. I'll take three nibbles, then something stops me from taking the fourth....never ever got a rhythm going. If I could it would be a sweet tool.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I will look for rotary rasps. That does sound good. Every grinding tool,I’ve tried clogs with aluminum, except sandpaper, which wears very fast on the dremel. So I will look for carbide cutters. Thanks all.

Comment

• huntaero
              huntaero commented
              Editing a comment
              using Do-all will help keep the cutters from galling up its a cutting lube looks like wax there are other brand names do a google search comes in a tube

I use a dewalt battery powered grinder with a cutoff disk for cutting just about everything. Works particularly well for cutting sheet aluminium. Especially long runs, and I then use a file and sandpaper to clean up. Great for the cowls, doors, boot cowls etc.

Another tool that's handy if you're using Adel clamps is the Installation Pliers.

For my Dremel I use a tungsten carbide steel rotary burr.

You can mostly build a Bearhawk with these 3 tools
            Last edited by Nev; 10-15-2021, 05:16 AM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to still fight with Adel clamps using the install pliers….then A tip was given to use single wrap of .020 safety wire around the clamp. Now I install the clamp using the tool, wrap the clamp once with the wire to hold it, then used both hands to install the screw/nut.

There are carbide burs for die grinders specifically designed for aluminum - single cut and very effective.

Comment

Roundup of advice: I ordered a 1/4” air driven die grinder. Reviews were good and it literally cost half the price of the carbide burr which goes in it. Under 10 bucks Canadian. About 2 coffees’ worth at Starbucks. Strange world. Speaking of burrs, I didn’t know about single cut burrs until I my order was shipped. I went with double cut carbide burrs and some 3” cutoff wheels. I also bought a set of carbide burrs for the dremel. I ordered the Adel clamp plier. Didn’t see that one coming, but I can see it will save an immense amount of hassle. Thanks Nev. I’m feeling much more confident about efficiently and neatly completing the work ahead. I sure appreciate this forum and the people who’ve helped me through it. You guys are great!

Comment

The burs specifically designed for aluminum have a more open and aggressive grind to prevent plugging up.

Comment

Two angles grinders, a miniature Bosch angle grinder, a Dremel, three drills, a battery powered file, lots of bits and discs of any kind. These I use most. Personally I realized I like using hand tools over stationary ones. One reason is that keeping the tools separate between aluminum and steel is a requirement. This is easy with hand tools but cumbersome with stationary tools.
                  Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
                  X