Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got started on rib stitching the horizontal stabs. I'm using the staggerwing stitch and pretty happy with how my first attempts at how this turned out.
    IMG_1297.jpg

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks real good. I enjoy rib stitching, would probably change my mind if I had to stitch biplane wings.

• geraldmorrissey
      geraldmorrissey commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on who is on rhe other side of the wing passing the needle back to you.

• The nice thing so far is that I don't need anyone on the other side and since the stabs are symmetrical, I don't have to do any math to make sure the holes lines up.

Comment

• Spider web in wet paint on leading edge of wing. Stay tuned for my new book, 99 Ways to Ruin Your Paint Job.

DSCF1423.jpg

Comment

• Gary Wallace
        Gary Wallace commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel your pain. Just went through that entire process as well. I'm trying to get my book out before yours!

• I have been deliberating over what to do for an attach point for a rear seat shoulder harness in my patrol. I finally decided to weld in a diagonal tube over the baggage area that I can then weld an attach point to, similar to what is welded in for the front seat. I feel like this is a less than perfect solution, but it’s what I’ve decided on anyway. Hopefully nobody will ever have to find out how good or bad an idea this is. So far, just the diagonal brace tube welded in. I will be adding a vertical tube at the intersection so that I can bolt the shoulder harness there. Real shame to mess up the paint, but it should be easy enough to cover up.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• spinningwrench
        spinningwrench commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to cross that bridge as well. Its another one of those got to get to projects. I figured out a perfect color match to the Bearhawk gray in an automotive enamel since I have been welding on a lot of additional tabs.

• Finished getting plastic off top of Left wing. Some adhesive residue remains but MEK or carb cleaner should clean that off. A few spots of corrosion found but should buff out ok.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I had corrosion in a few places, aluminum surface was black. The Stewarts acid etch that you use before primer with a scotchbrite pad took it right off.

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        On the subject of Stewarts acid etch - following their directions I checked with a white rag after rinsing and found it was difficult to rinse it perfectly clean until I used a pressure washer (as they suggest). I have a feeling that the first parts I painted had residue left under the paint which might cause me issues down the road. FYI

• I had oil caning on the wing and decided to add some stringers to eliminate them. Next up to rivet them.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• After figuring out, I have no router skills and realizing this would go a lot better with a router table……..I built one. Funny part is, I figured out how to use a router while building the table.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Redneckmech
          Redneckmech commented
          Editing a comment
          I am going to have the same learning curve! Ha! I worked as a welder fabricator for 8 years and I don't do wood.. This shall be a learning experience I am sure.

• Finished using heat gun + plastic scraper to remove protective film from left wing. Chemical assault on the remaining adhesive residue starts tomorrow!
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Got my wings on today !! They went on very easily after tons of preparation.

A few questions......what's the trick to fitting the upper strut fiberglass fairing ? We decided to leave off in the meantime. Couldn't work out exactly where it fitted, and how.

Great help from the team

4A6E5364-4DBE-43CE-8C68-F0B5AA1CA046.jpg
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• RobinDeMarco
            RobinDeMarco commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great, Nev!

• Gerhard Rieger
            Gerhard Rieger commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats, looking great.

• davzLSA
            davzLSA commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful airplane Nev, you do beautiful work!!!

• Temperatures before and after spraying primer. Top number is OAT, bottom shop temperature. We're at least 20F below normal average for the past two weeks. Make-up air in the shop is a bit chilly. It figures the winter that I am painting it's cold, cold, cold. At least there aren't any bugs!

20211121_203400.jpg20211121_203639.jpg20211122_002325.jpg20211122_005539.jpg

Comment

• RatherBFlying
            RatherBFlying commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that Stewarts? Do you have to worry about it drying out too quickly in such low humidity?

• alaskabearhawk
            alaskabearhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            No, it’s Superflite System 7.

• Originally posted by BigRob View Post
          After figuring out, I have no router skills and realizing this would go a lot better with a router table……..I built one. Funny part is, I figured out how to use a router while building the table.
          That's a fine router table! I built mine into my workshop table, but same concept. Had worked great minus one episode where I had to tear it apart due to metal shavings getting in places metal shavings should be in the router.

Comment

• Having seen these cargo tie downs on a friends BH4B build (I am sure I have seen them on these forums in the past too), I decided that "I gotta get me some of them". Each track is normally held down with 4 hardware store countersunk 1/4x20 bolts and nuts, but I replaced those with AN 10-32 countersunk screws with K1000-3 nutplates. Each screw/nutplate is fastened through a welded .080 4130 tab.

The tracks themselves are aluminum and are very light. In fact, I think the supplied nuts, bolts, and washers weigh as much as the track alone.

Here is the link for the tracks: Amazon.com: Erickson 59133 Aluminum 18" O-Track with 2 Anchor Rings and Mounting Hardware In Individual Bag : Automotive

20211121_150815.jpg

20211121_150131.jpg

20211121_150127.jpg
            -------------------
            Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
            Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
            RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I like it.

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to know they can be installed "crossways" like that... I've only ever seen them mounted parallel to the fuselage walls, and wondered about the load shifting fore/aft. This eliminates that concern.

Sometimes, it's the little things...

• Riveted my stiffener stringers on both wings and can not be happier. It came out great. The wing is a lot stiffer and oil caning should be a thing of the past. It will be better to do it before closing the wing up.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Wings are in place ready for alignment and drilling
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Beautiful airplane Nev, you do beautiful work, congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                X