Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

Just curious what others have experienced with insurance, specifically for the 4-place. A friend of mine has a Glasair III with a hull value of about $150K. His insurance runs about $2,500/yr. I just received a quote of $5,500/yr for a Bearhawk 4-place 260hp. (I have 800hrs TT with 100 tailwheel - Commercial, Instrument, CFI). The quote is from Air Capital, the same company that covers my friends GIII. It seems to me that the BH is a much safer and reliable aircraft compared to a GIII. Are the rest of you paying $5,500/yr to cover your BH 4-place?
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

I have received high quotes like that. I found that EAA had the best quote at far less.

Comment

2000-4000 is more in line with what I have heard in the past.

Comment

I thought retractable gear doubled or quadrupled rates.

Comment

Try Parrish O-Neil. 740-397-6737. They are a broker in Ohio and always seem to have very good rates. I had my Pacer insured with them and now my Patrol. When I got my Pacer I didn't have any tailwheel time and yet my premiums were less than a lot of the higher time guys on the short wing Piper forum.
          I'm paying less than half of what you got quoted to insure my Patrol. Now I do have a little more time than you listed and an ATP. They used to say 1500 hours was the magic number for insurance to get affordable, but I don't know if that's still true.
          Rollie VanDorn
          Findlay, OH
          Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I hadn't thought about an upcharge for not having a training wheel up front. Makes sense I guess. I am going to have to learn how to fly without one as well.

Comment

Just pondering my upcoming insurance renewal, what level of deductible, SI etc. NZ is a small market and underwriters are mostly based off shore.

To lower the cost options are to go for a higher deductible or lower Sum Insured. Typically off airport ops have a higher deductible than airport ops. EAA plan isn’t an option for us.

If anyone has any advice it will be gratefully received.

Comment

I've just renewed for 0.7% for NZ$300K (USD$182,000) with a $50K excess. It includes NZ$2,000,000 Public liability cover. Effectively this means that I'm self insuring the bottom and top end, and any smaller potential "claims" will be covered by me. The premiums are getting high enough now that insurance has become a sizeable part of my hourly operating costs.

Backcountry flying does have a reasonable risk associated with it, however tail-draggers themselves have a much higher risk profile than other aircraft too whether operated on airport or off-airport.
                Last edited by Nev; 06-30-2023, 06:36 PM.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Grant, We pay 2.4% on $250,000 with an excess of $5,000. We pay dearly for having little tailwheel experience and age. We insure through Traffords a Lloyds underwriter in the UK. When we come to renew I will probably increase the excess if it brings the premium down enough.

Comment

Is "excess" the term that is used in NZ for what we call a deductible in the USA?

Comment

Yes that would be correct Jared. In other words if I make a claim for 100K, they would only pay out 50K.
                      Last edited by Nev; 06-30-2023, 09:03 AM.
                      Nev Bailey
                      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                      YouTube - Build and flying channel
                      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Insurance for my BH in Alaska during the initial hours of test flying is unobtainable.

Comment

Insurance has been no problem for us for builds, test flying or on going ops on or off airport but given the recent spate of accidents I suspect that’s about to change.

To be fair to the underwriters this is a game of maths. We as operators we need to get ahead of it and lift our performance.

Any ideas on how to do so will benefit us all.

Comment

• kestrel
                            kestrel commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We need more Jareds for Bearhawk training.

• jaredyates
                            jaredyates commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, more ones and better ones and ones in other parts of the country and with more schedule availability. If there are any owners that hold instructor certificates I can help with the FAA part.

I use COPA insurance. I guess it would be AOPA for pilots south of the 49th. COPA is always the most cost the effective option. I was not even asked about tail wheel time. However in Canada there is no tail wheel endorsment. What is an issue, is engine type. I am always asked about time on engine type.
                          Last edited by Sir Newton; 06-30-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• kestrel
                            kestrel commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What is engine type? Piston vs. turbine?

• Sir Newton
                            Sir Newton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Basically,

• svyolo
                            svyolo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            There might be wisdom in both the US and Canadian systems. I hate both government and insurance, but both have a role. A large part of the FAA does a decent job. Other parts have helped destroy GA, but not intetionally.. Time in engine type? At first I laughed. Then I thought of myself. 5 figures of TT, 2 figures of piston time. On the insurance side in the US they want TW time. Same answer for me.

I still think FAA certified rules, plus insurance rules, destroyed GA in the US. Experimental saved it.

I just renewed my 4-place policy with Falcon Insurance Agency:
                          AIG quote of $3300 ($95,000 hull value)
                          1100+ hrs total time, 1015 hrs tailwheel, 625 hrs in type

Comment

Working...
                          X