Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good, I guess that works. I was concerned about the 5/15 hose to 1/4 inch tube being a potential for leaks but Apparently it is not a factor. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lamarglobe View Post
      Looks good, I guess that works. I was concerned about the 5/15 hose to 1/4 inch tube being a potential for leaks but Apparently it is not a factor. Thanks
      You are right to be concerned, it is a factor. Mine dripped a little fuel but after tightening them again they haven't dripped at all. They've been holding fuel for over a month. Just to make myself feel better I may add a second hose clamp like is done in pressurized water systems. A better solution would be to use a AN816-5D nipple and 5/16 aluminum tube.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Another way of doing it - much more simply:

Parts:
        Two AN822 elbows.
        One length of clear, rigid Schedule 40 PVC pipe for sight gauges (Spruce P/N 03-54100).
        Sight gauge float ball.

Thread the PVC tube with NPT threads each end. Insert float ball. Screw the elbows into the PVC with Loctite thread sealant.
        Job done.

These things are bullet proof and don't leak, the PV is perfectly sized for float balls. They are also really easy to install / remove. This is what Bob recommends.

Sorry about the grainy photo:
        Screenshot_2018-10-31-10-04-43.png
        Last edited by Battson; 10-30-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I will do now. Thanks for the part number.

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          The only trick is with NPT threads is tapping them deep enough, because NPT has a taper. If they are too tapped too shallow, then the AN fittings are too tight and can crack the PVC tube when you install them.

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I add this as an adendum to Peter's article about the superthane gauges, or maybe run a new article?

I didn't know PVC came in clear. I might have a look at that.

Comment

Beartracks came today. I read Jared's article and will fabricate mine like that as well.

But a small note was in there that Curtis Penner mentioned when describing his Beautiful Patrol. The Canadian authorities mandated that a shutoff valve be installed between the tank and the sight gage to prevent fuel leaks into the cabin in case of failure of the sight gage.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I really like the electrical system circuit breakers
            co located with potential leaking fuel.
            Have experience with the Stevens sight glass system working well in the desert heat, chilled to 0 at altitude in winter, fuel dribbling everywhere, holding pressure on the joint to minimize the leak. Long 30 min till landing.....

Bearhawk # 272

Comment

Brooks;
              "Canadian Authorities" meaning by regulation, or by the opinion of one regulator? You can extrapolate that logic out to having a shutoff valve for everything, including a shutoff valve upstream of the shutoff valve in case it leaks. I thought really hard about putting small Earls' Racing shutoff valves for the fuel feed lines, but is just seems more complicated. More fittings means more chances to leak. Seems counterproductive too me.

I like Battson's PVC pipe, and I think that is what I will use. I bought the Superthane line and AN fittings, but the fittings were way to small to seal inside the spec-ed superthane line.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                You can extrapolate that logic out to having a shutoff valve for everything, including a shutoff valve upstream of the shutoff valve in case it leaks. I thought really hard about putting small Earls' Racing shutoff valves for the fuel feed lines, but is just seems more complicated. More fittings means more chances to leak.
                Or forget. We had a local builder put a pair of shutoff valves, one on each A-pillar, for his fuel tanks in his CH-801, in addition to the central one. Somehow he managed to miss turning them *both* on and ended up in a cornfield. Two less things

Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• svyolo
                  svyolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My comment on complexity was meant the more fittings, the more chances to fail. I hadn't even gotten to the part of more complexity allows me more different ways to screw up.

Back to the Johnathons PVC sight gauge, which I like. ACS lists the tubing as "Excellent resistance to gasoline" . But googling PVC chemical resistance gets different results. Some are the same, some are "fair", which is defined as not for continuous use. Not sure now.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                  Brooks;
                  "Canadian Authorities" meaning by regulation, or by the opinion of one regulator? You can extrapolate that logic out to having a shutoff valve for everything, including a shutoff valve upstream of the shutoff valve in case it leaks. I thought really hard about putting small Earls' Racing shutoff valves for the fuel feed lines, but is just seems more complicated. More fittings means more chances to leak. Seems counterproductive too me.

I like Battson's PVC pipe, and I think that is what I will use. I bought the Superthane line and AN fittings, but the fittings were way to small to seal inside the spec-ed superthane line.
                  The voice inflection in the Beartracks article found on p.8. appears as though its mandatory for all, and not an opinion of a regulator.

Truth exists, and my impressions are not truth. They are not opinions....rather they my feelings/interpretations of tidbits of info that I analyze and then question conventional practices.

Truth....Fittings that leak are counter productive, fittings themselves are not counterproductive. We must build fittings that don't leak and leak check all fittings.

Impression.... Most sight gages penetrate a rigid interior fuselage panel so tube is viewable to the pilot. An accident could result where the wing root is bent somewhat from the fuselage and damages a sight gage at the fuselage. A safer installation is designed so the sight gage remains with the wing and separates from the fuselage without damage. (That one might be a Truth)

Truth is .....Yes, more valves increase complexity. Complexity kills. Arguable, the best designed fuels system, according to Bengilis, has a single ON - OFF valve. Extra shut-off valves increase risks, and possible of fuel starvation in most applications. They add cost, weight, and increases risk of a valve being placed in the wrong position.

Impression....The sight gage shut-off valve is not connected to the fuel system. A miss set valve would provide an erroneous fuel quantity indication. But they still add eight, complexity, cost, and risk.

Truth is.....a safer way to measure fuel quantity exists than using a sight gage, but it won't be simpler, lighter, less costly, or more reliable.

Truth is....A shut off valve is about $18 each from Spruce, but a solution to install it so it can be remotely shut-off must be solved.

Truth..... is if I installed shut-off valves for the sight gage and got into an accident 10 years from now, I might forget to use them....at least thats my impression.

I don't know yet if I will install a shut-off valve, but if a wing separates from the fuselage, elegant simplicity demands that the sight gage goes with it.
                  Last edited by Bcone1381; 01-02-2019, 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling , clarification
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Some sort of restrictor can be installed in the wing fittings going to the sight gauges. Some have used drilled out rivets. Not a perfect solution but would limit the volume of a leak at the sight glass or in an accident involving a wing separation. That is what I plan to do.

Comment

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I suspect that would also tend to "dampen" the effect of the fuel sloshing, thus making is somewhat easier to get a "stable" reading from the sight gauge. I know that trying to get an accurate reading from my Citabria's wing-root mounted gauge when the fuel level is below 1/2 is a crap shoot at best. "Bouncing between 1/2 and empty" is what it reads most of the time... LOL

I like simplicity. I like reliability. Sight gauges are great, but as I discussed above, I've had bad experiences with difficulty reading them, and don't like the fact that you have one set of "marks" for normal flight and a second set for "tail-on-ground" readings.

Because of all this, I'm considering using a pair of these fuel probes from Belite (picture below). This system measures the quantity of fuel in tank by ascertaining the weight of the fuel column, with a scale accuracy of 0.5%, according to James Wiebe, Belite's CEO. I asked James Wiebe about using these probes on a T-fitting inline in the system, and he said that should work beautifully. I'm thinking that I will install one on each tank, attached to a T-fitting inline with the aft fuel line where it attaches to the tank. Then I can either use the Belite Radiant dual-tank gauge (which unfortunately reads in "percent" rather than gallons) or connect the probe output to an EFIS system that accepts 0-5v probe inputs (most do) and read directly in gallons. One nice thing about the Belite gauge is that it shows "time to empty" (34 minutes in the sample pictured) along with a 15-minute history of the fuel level in each tank.

Assuming all this works as advertised, it would be a very clean and simple installation with incredible accuracy. Cross-checking the indicated fuel level with a fuel-flow meter indicating what SHOULD be remaining on board would give me a good sense of comfort about fuel status.

And for those of you using a header tank, take a look at the Bingo3 liquid detector. It will light up a Green LED as long as fuel is present in the tank, and turn the LED Red if the level drops below the sensor level. He calls it the "bingo" fuel detector because if that light turns red, you're at "Bingo" fuel and need to get on the ground ASAP, because your header is not being refilled... At $100 for the "plug and play" version, it's pretty cheap insurance for header-based systems. (Could work for regular tanks as well, but requires a hole in the tank that I would be hesitant to drill in a big tank - just because it would be hard to know at what level to put it... You don't want it going off when tanks are half full. On a small 4-6 gallon header tank, on the other hand, I would put that sucker near the top of the tank...)

Thoughts and comments?
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Last edited by JimParker256; 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM.
                    Jim Parker
                    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• svyolo
                      svyolo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I keep glancing at those gauges every couple of months or so.

• robcaldwell
                      robcaldwell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am considering the Belite sensors as well. Sight gauges make me nervous. I'm assuming the Belite's could be coupled with a Dynon EFIS and a flash or an alarm could be generated when the fuel reaches a certain level.

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As I understand it, the Belite probes generate a voltage signal between 0V (empty) and 5V (full), just like capacitive probes. If your EFIS supports that, and allows calibration, then you need only connect them and calibrate to the EFIS. I'm interested in GRT, so I queried them about whether these probes would work with their system, and the response was affirmative. I'm 99% sure Dynon and MGL would work as well. Haven't done any research at all with regard to these probes with the Garmin EFIS.

Looks like a great option to me Jim. Rather than T into a supply line why not just screw it into the lower sight gauge fitting on the tank?

Comment

Ever have one of those "Doh!" moments? Whee just gave me one... Thanks! Using the lower sight gauge fitting for the fuel probe would be even better...
                      Jim Parker
                      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I've had more of those moments than I'd like to admit.

Comment

• jaredyates
                          jaredyates commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Education and recreation are what it's all about!
                      Working...
                      X