Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N454BW has been weighed and is awaiting the DAR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks absolutely great Whee! If you have a GoPro, I'd suggest rigging it to look over your shoulder, on the first few flights. We'd love to share those flights with you!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
      I like how you eliminated the airbox at the bottom of the cowl. Really cleans up the nose. I've seen other iterations of this design. What design or mod did you use to get the engine to breath?
      It was a real challenge Continental cross flow cylinders have the entire induction system on top of the engine. I didn't have to do anything.

Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Bill, I plan to document the first few flights. The videos will likely be painful to watch; editing video is just so boring and not fun.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Congratulations... your efforts are inspirational...thanks for taking the time to post this on here

Comment

Good work. Are you using the FAA or a independent DAR ? Some of the DAR's in my area (Louisville,KY) are getting pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrol28 View Post
            Good work. Are you using the FAA or a independent DAR ? Some of the DAR's in my area (Louisville,KY) are getting pricey.
            Local FSDO refuses to perform EAB certifications so I'm stuck with a DAR. He seems like a good guy and reasonably priced but it is still a fair bit of money ($600 plus travel).

Comment

• Patrol28
              Patrol28 commented
              Editing a comment
              Around here you can get the FSDO if you are willing to wait. 600 would be a good price for an independent. Around here more like 1500 plus mileage. My buddy Kenny Johnson who built the orange cub that Pops Dory flys in the STOL competitions refuses to pay for an independent. He waits for the feds. He's built three cubs and usually it takes them about 90 days to get to you. Hope you get you get your C of A soon.

Okay...gotta a dumb question... on the weight and balance sheet for my Pacer. The empty weight does not include one drop of fuel or oil.....so...since we all like light airplanes...your true empty weight is less..good toot toot point aye?
            BTW.. I haven’t put one drop of engine oil in my Pacer. Got a look at my rebuilt wings a couple days ago. Just need a coat of paint..they’re rebuilt through primer. Gonna have it done soon...then I can get back to my unloved Bearhawk...some day I’ll be able to use the Pacer wings I built...once the STC is done..

Comment

Sometime in the past I read the advice to include oil and unusable fuel in the empty weight because it isn’t something you can change or eliminate. Makes since to me.

Comment

Here is the FAA def of Basic Empty Weight:
                • Basic empty weight (GAMA)—the standard empty weight plus the weight of optional and special equipment that have been installed.

Standard empty weight (GAMA)—aircraft weight that consists of the airframe, engines, and all items of operating equipment that have fixed locations and are
                permanently installed in the aircraft, including fixed ballast, hydraulic fluid, unusable fuel, and full engine oil.
                Almost flying!

Comment

congratulations!!! I know you feel like a large weight off of your shoulders now? Looking forward to your first flight reports!!

Comment

Originally posted by AKKen07 View Post
                    including fixed ballast, hydraulic fluid, unusable fuel, and full engine oil.
                    A lot of people don't run their engines with full oil because it burns through the first quarter or three fairly quickly. Seems like it would be nice to have that measured out separately since running a couple quarts low could put your CG too far aft.

Comment

The airplanes I've owned would toss the first quart (at least) overboard (and onto the belly) within a 30-minute flight. My O-320 powered Grumman liked to be 1 quart down from full, and burned practically zero oil thereafter. I learned to fill it only to 5 quarts. My Commander 114 (IO-540) held 8 quarts of oil, but would toss 1.5 quarts onto the belly during the first hour, then use a quart every 5-6 hours after that. Again, I filled to 6.5 quarts, and checked/serviced whenever I landed. Never had to add more than 1/2 quart at a time. The Citabria's O-200 likes to run a 1/2 quart low. I rarely have to add oil. The only time my planes flew with "full" oil was after annual, if the mechanic forgot that I asked them to NOT top off the oil after changing it. I learned to tie a little tag on the oil filler tube that says "Fill to X.X quarts only, use Brand-X oil." No more overfilling at annual!
                      Jim Parker
                      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• zkelley2
                        zkelley2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Every O/IO-360 I've owned or operated liked 6 of 8 quarts. They'd throw those first two overboard in the first hour if you filled it to 8. So I just ran them at 5.5 to 6, filling 1/2 quart when they got to 5.5. If you look at the operators manual they're good down to 2qts

I read a week or so ago on VAF that 0-540's like to run at 9-9.5 qts, and will spit out the rest fairly quickly. The first airplane engine I ever owned in sitting on my shop crane waiting to be installed.
                      Any opinion on why this happens?

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                        I read a week or so ago on VAF that 0-540's like to run at 9-9.5 qts, and will spit out the rest fairly quickly. The first airplane engine I ever owned in sitting on my shop crane waiting to be installed.
                        As I understand it, maximum oil level is set overly high to meet this requirement:

See page 52

32. Section 33.39, Lubrication System. Section 33.39 Lubrication system.
                        (a) The lubrication system of the engine must be designed and constructed so that it will function properly in all flight attitudes and atmospheric conditions in which the airplane is expected to operate. In wet sump engines, this requirement must be met when only one-half of the maximum lubricant supply is in the engine.

Comment

• svyolo
                          svyolo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. Makes sense, in a government regulation sort of way.

I just discovered my engine has an 8qt sump and good says many Skyhawk XP owners keep their oil at about 6 quarts. Google also says oil weighs 8lbs. So I guess my airplane just lost 8lbs

Comment

• Rollie
                          Rollie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Don't worry, when you paint it you will get that weight back.

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                        The Maule 235 I owned would quickly remove anything above 8 quarts, then would take 5-6 hours to get down to 7 quarts.

Comment

Working...
                        X