Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron Control Stops - 4B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron Control Stops - 4B

What are guys doing for aileron control stops ? Previously I was under the assumption that the control stick fixture provided a stop by limiting the travel of each stick. But on a recent 50 hour check we noted that the aileron linkage was able to contact the aileron hinge mount, so the control stick housing is not limiting movement on that side. I would prefer to have a softer material, maybe bush nylon or delrin. Any ideas appreciated.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Hi Nev, The limits should be managed by the geometry of the system bellcranks etc. There isn’t a hard physical “stop” in the control stick assembly or elsewhere. In my case I had to carve a curve into my control stick assembly where the stick hit the edges of the fixture - to enable full movement. I guess If you are getting interference somewhere in the system you may need to do something similar. I found a pic indicating where my interference was. 65265290240__D0FE3FE9-56D0-4EC6-B4C3-97E7FD7F053D.jpg
    Last edited by AKKen07; 10-31-2023, 02:34 PM.
    Almost flying!

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep mine hits the same place where your finger is pointing on one side. On the other side, the aileron push-rod contacts the hinge mount on the wing.
      Last edited by Nev; 10-31-2023, 03:02 PM.

My assumption was that it was always done by the hinge mount/pushrod. I had to remove some material from the control stick mount. Rescue tape on the rod? A piece of silicone tubing?

Comment

I remember this came up for a Canadian builder who had a regulatory person who required control stops for the ailerons.
      This was a discussion from the LSA section but I was thinking there was another somewhere.
      Just finished the cables for my Ailerons and was wondering whether anyone has installed some sort of Aileron control stops on the torque tube.

Comment

For the Patrol,I installed a plate over the rear control stick floor cutout limiting the side to side travel of the control body to the proper amount of deflection. Put a strip of rubber edge protection on each side.
        Last edited by Steve W; 10-31-2023, 09:31 PM.

Comment

The MDRA representative required me to install aileron stops before he’d sign off for flight. I built Dutchman clamps that were attached to the bellcrank support tube to limit motion. A little fiddly to install but serves the purpose. Some thin wall rubber or heat shrink tubing on the stopper could be used to provide a cushion.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice solution. Graham Johnson has made a very similar fitting with a plastic block attached. Both make for an elegant solution. I was thinking that one per side would provide the limiting I was after.

0784E622-99B2-40C6-A312-D04192B2BDCB.jpg
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

From that idea, springs another....for those who might avoid welding.

Below is pictured the MS27405 tubing clamps. Type A has one lobe. Type B has two lobes. A fitting would be added to the loop clamp to create the stop.

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 1.52.34 PM.png
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
              X