Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground loop and aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you lift it from the front wing root fittings it wants to lift the tail up high which can be controlled with some counter weight on the tail.
    At least this Patrol does.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Steve W; 12-08-2023, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Is the front spar on- or forward of the CG ? (it looks like it would be forward of it..... so how about a pair on the front spar and one in the center of the rear spar would that balance it better for lifting ?

Comment

Originally posted by fairchild1934 View Post
        Is the front spar on- or forward of the CG ? (it looks like it would be forward of it..... so how about a pair on the front spar and one in the center of the rear spar would that balance it better for lifting ?
        The front spar is often behind the CG of an empty 4 place Bearhawk. ...at least one with a 540. I can't be certain of the other variants.

Comment

Yes I can imagine that--- 400+ lbs of monster motor up there.... :-)

Comment

probably a helper could control the tail easily enough in the field--- and a dumb weight in the hanger...... :-)

Comment

I need to retract and restate some of my claims about balance points. When changing wheels and skis I need to get the mains off the floor. I jack the airplane from the ends of the wing struts. If I don't tie some weight to the tail, the tail will lift until the airplane is level or somewhat nose down. So, I should reform my claims as, when in three point and lifted by the main spars, the CG is ahead of and below the main spars and requires weight tied to the tail for my most common purposes. If the aircraft is allowed to be level to somewhat nose low, lifting by the spars works. I have lifted off the ground this way, but barely had enough jack travel.

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought about using a longer strut bolt, and make a "jack point" under the bottom of the bolt. 1/4" thick steel under the bolt.

I'm not sure if you are looking for input on this. If you are it would be helpful to have some additional information:

- Was this on a paved runway or grass?
              - I assume that by saying 'zero rudder control' you don´t mean rudder control but rather you had no tail wheel steering, correct?
              - By 'tail wheel control wire' do you mean the spring/chain assembly?
              - Where did the shock strut fail?
              - Do you have any pictures of the shock strut you could share?

Comment

Originally posted by gregc View Post
                I'm not sure if you are looking for input on this. If you are it would be helpful to have some additional information:

- Was this on a paved runway or grass?
                - I assume that by saying 'zero rudder control' you don´t mean rudder control but rather you had no tail wheel steering, correct?
                - By 'tail wheel control wire' do you mean the spring/chain assembly?
                - Where did the shock strut fail?
                - Do you have any pictures of the shock strut you could share?
                It seems that the post made by gummy has been deleted or moved. jaredyates was this deleted by an admin, or by the poster (gummy) ?
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• gregc
                  gregc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought it likely to be someone trolling rather than a honest post but I try not to assume the worst of people ;-)

• Nev
                  Nev commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Quite possibly.
                  Last edited by Nev; 04-24-2024, 07:55 PM.

• rv8bldr
                  rv8bldr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know Gummy and i know the airplane. He keeps it about 50 kms from me at CYSH.

The post was deleted by its author.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying jaredyates and rv8bldr and sorry to hear of this. Perhaps we can encourage him to share details so we can all learn from the unfortunate incident.
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                  YouTube - Build and flying channel
                  Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
                  X