Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, has anyone else ran into the problem of the front control stick hitting the cross tube the instrument panel attaches to? If so did you just cut off and inch or 2 of the stick?

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Dave - the stick needs to go under that crossing tube to get full travel. Yes, cut off enough so it clears. Mark

• Dave, I raised the cross member one inch not because I was smart but because my buddy said his knees would not fit, thus all is well. It turns out very helpful even for my 5ft 7inch frame. The leverage is helpful. Stinger
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Wow Stinger you read my mind, I was thinking about that but had not asked the question yet. I was wondering about the effect of removing an inch or 2 of the stick on the amount of leverage it would take away from the control pressure. I was thinking with the auto servo trim tabs it probably would not make that much difference. Im about the same height as you so the height of the cross bar is not a problem for me either. How much do the auto servo trim tabs lighten the control pressure loads? I always thought of them sort of as power steering. I also noticed how your panel does not sit on top of the cross bar. Was that to give you more space in the cockpit?

Comment

• stinger
        stinger commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sure you know the trim tab reduces stick pressure thus less muscle is required .I only have one trim tab because that's what my plans showed plus I had never seen an actual Bearhawk . My LSA has manual trim. My panel sets on top of the cross bar pretty much as plans state but with less height maybe one half inch. Stinger

• Hi Stinger like the way your panel looks. It is minimum and simple and that is what my panel will be. Im planning on a PFD and a back up altimeter and AS and a tach and engine instruments. I think after I get it flying ill add a transponder. Probably just use a hand held radio to begin with.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I finally have the elevator control linkage set up in my LSA. To me it is a mile stone, I can now sit on my airplane and make airplane noises. I think my next step is to build my seats. But first I need to tweak some other things im not very happy about. Ill include more pictures soon.

Comment

• Hey Guys wanted to ask if anyone building the LSA is using square tubing to build the door and window frames? I think using square tubing would make it easier to build? I noticed that sqaure tubing is used in the Patrol.Looking for comments or suggestions.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Bob has changed the factory to round tubing for doors and windows for the large part. It weighs less for sure and Bob thinks it is easier to install the aluminum/plexi on it although not all builders agree with that. Mark

• Thanks for the input Mark, Ill probably just do what you always say to do "stick with the plans". Here are some pictures of my latest progress,
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Dave

Did you need to add the "joggle" as described in this thread? (I did and unless the plans have changed you likely will too)

I have just about finished my fuselage and i am wondering about the pushrod from the control stick to the idler arm. The end at the stick is fixed and the end

Comment

• Hi Brad, Thanks for bringing that to my attention, but i had full travel side to side on my sticks but I will take a closer look to see if the rod end bearing is turning. The bearing seemed to have plenty of room to rotate in the idler arm. But I will check it. Thanks

Comment

• Hi Guys, I have progress to report I now have the front and rear seats built and installed, My front seat is not according to the plans, the plans call for the back to be 21 inches tall, I made mine 31 inches so it will be more comfortable on long trips of which I intend to be making when my plane is flying. I was wondering if anyone else out there has made this modification to their front seat? Pictures will follow as soon as I find my camera.

Comment

• Hi Guys, Here are the pics I promised. I have my front seat built now, it is not to plan, the back is 31 inches high, and it has a an adjustment in the front of the seat that releases the seat to slide forward and back. Im not finished with the release mechanism yet, it will be much more finished when Im done with it. At this point it is a proof of concept. I got the idea from one of my Tony Bingelis books. It works very well, when the pins are locked in place the seat is rock solid. And yes I know it is heavier than the plans built seat but I look at it this way, when this thing is finished my behind will be spending a lot of time in that seat and a seat the just comes up to my shoulder blades is just not comfortable for me. So im willing to make the trade off there. As usual comments and suggestions are welcomed.
                  This gallery has 4 photos.
                  Last edited by davzLSA; 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Question for anyone who built the front seat and fitted it. Am I the only one who had a big PIA doing this? After welding in all those support tubes there was cursing, beating, heating, banging, filing, grinding, more cursing, weeping waling and gnashing of teeth, And finally, finally after what seemed like days and days (it was only a few hours) it slid in and worked perfectly. That thing was a work out!!!

Comment

• Oh all the hard work will make the reward that much sweeter! It’s looking good. Congratulations on your progress

Comment

• davzLSA
                        davzLSA commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Cameron, thanks for the encouragement, my diatribe was just to get a little humor into the thread. I hope it made you smile.

• I went away from the plans slightly on my Patrol seats. I copied the Atlee Dodge Super Cub folding seat back for the front seat and I made my rear seat fold-able so I can remove the cushions, fold the seat and take both the seat and my folding bicycle with me. Both mods were minimal added weight. My airplane will be flown solo about 98% of the time. 31" sure seems tall for your front seat.

Comment

• Hi Patrol28, Its my intention to fly solo most of the time too, hence the tall seat back. I plan on having removable seat cushion as well. I did not really see a need for a folding seat, if im flying solo I can just remove the back seat and use it for any cargo. I was thinking about aluminum to cover the seat frames but after talking with Btaz im thinking I will try the fabric covering first. His says it make a pretty firm seat when the fabric is shrunk. It would probably be lighter than the aluminum. What did you cover your seat frames with?

Comment

Working...
                        X