Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Brad to took close to 10 hours to cut and position and weld those 24 tabs have attached so far. And that is just the first 2 aluminum parts.

Comment

• OK got more aluminum attached today, welded up the hole in the tubing too.

Comment

• Congrats on the new progress dave. You have probably answered these questions in your previous post but here goes...... who do you get your 4130 from that has the best shipping rates and what rod are you using for your gas welding? Ive been using some RG65 that I really like but I have read that there are some better rods out there. My 4130 welding dvd recommends the rg series but you can tell it was made many moons ago.

Comment

• IIRC, ER70S-2 is recommended filler for 4130. You might check https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ to see if they have a location near you. They carry 4130 tube - not sure about sheet.

Edit: Just checked https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...eel-filler.php and he recommends ER70S-6. I'd follow his recommendation.
          Last edited by Papa Foxtrot; 06-03-2019, 01:00 PM.
          Patrol #107
          LSA #005

Comment

• Hi Cameron, I get my filler rod from a local welding supplier, and it is the er70-s series rod. I dont know where you live but if it's near a town or city I have to believe there is a welding supplier there. Im on a first name bases with my welding supplier and he is very knowledgeable about welding, welding machines and supplies. I would recommend you find a place like this and get on a first name bases. As for the tubing I just buy all my tubing from ACS. If you can get it locally all the better. You wont have to pay shipping. The problem I have found with local suppliers of tubing is that they are usually very limited in the sizes of tubing they can deliver. And if you have studied the plans there are about 20 different sizes. I find it much easier to just go to the ACS web site and order what I need.
            Last edited by davzLSA; 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info dave and Papa. Yeah, shipping cost is what I was trying to figure. I did look up the company that Papa recommended. It just so happens they’re just a couple hours away. I asked for a price list. We’ll see if I get one. If it works out, I could save some dollars. Well thanks again guys, I gotta get off here. Got a flight review in the morning.

Comment

• Well just an update. I looked into the metal supermarket that papa sent the link to. I was pretty excited to see that there was an outlet close to where I am. I got a quote from them for some material and had my socks blown off. Just an example, they quoted 60 feet of 1/4x.035 at 684.00! Yeah, 11.40 a foot. Looks like paying shipping from ACS is a way better option. Pretty saddening that it’s so hard to get material at a reasonable price.

Comment

• Papa Foxtrot
                  Papa Foxtrot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry that didn't work out. I'm fortunate that Aircraft Spruce East is only about 8 miles from me. They just opened a Metal Supermarket location about twice that distance from me - I hoped they'd be more competitive...

• Originally posted by Cameron Ramsey View Post
                Well just an update. I looked into the metal supermarket that papa sent the link to. I was pretty excited to see that there was an outlet close to where I am. I got a quote from them for some material and had my socks blown off. Just an example, they quoted 60 feet of 1/4x.035 at 684.00! Yeah, 11.40 a foot. Looks like paying shipping from ACS is a way better option. Pretty saddening that it’s so hard to get material at a reasonable price.
                Are you ready to buy a kit yet?

Comment

• Pricing would still impact the kits would it not? And possible tariffs?
                  Mark
                  Scratch building Patrol #275
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Cameron, A kit was not an option for me so that is one reason I went for the scratch build path. But the good thing about the Bear Hawk build is that you can buy a big a chunk of the airplane as you can afford it or just buy tubing a little at a time and spread the cost over time. I buy my tubing per assembly so its not so much money at one time. Plus I dont have a big pile of parts to store while im building.

Comment

• Yeah dave, I like the scratch built option because I like building things. I like problem solving. I also like the fact of getting to spread out the cost as well. I also like to fly so with that and the high quality of a kit that Mark makes, it is very appealing but.....I..... want to build it. I think the day to day small accomplishments is what makes it all worth it.

Comment

• The day to day accomplishments it what keeps me going on my build. Its really fun to watch it come together and know it is your handy work.

Comment

• Hey Guys, A little update on my project, Lately I have not had much time to work on my plane, between work and its just been too hot to work in the shop. But I have the material to build the door and the windows. I also have the material to build the firewall and the instrument panel. In considering the firewall I have ran into a conundrum. The plans firewall dimensions are for a Lycoming 0235, and as you all know I am using a Corvair engine. the Corvair is only 29 inches wide and the Lycoming firewall is 34 inches wide. I plan to customize the firewall to more closely fit the Corviar. So I have reached out to my friend at SPA and have asked him for the dimensions for the Panther firewall since it usually uses the Corvair. I think using a smaller firewall will reduce weight and make for a tighter fitting cowl which would help with cooling and reduce wetted area to reduce drag and maybe make the airplane a little faster. I see many advantages to making the fire wall smaller. I know it would reduce real estate for putting stuff on the firewall but I will not have a lot of gadgets in my plane so I dont think that will be a problem. If I can get some days off work I will get back to building. I hope all you guys are making more progress than me.

David
                          Last edited by davzLSA; 07-14-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Not sure about the LSA, since I'm building a Patrol, but I just assumed the firewall was shaped the way it is in order to match the fuselage shape at that point. Wouldn't a narrower firewall then require a narrower fuselage front? Seems like you'd be opening up a can of worms, with lots of changes – the so-called "ripple effect"... I would definitely talk to Bob before going down that path.
                            Jim Parker
                            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• I believe there are firewall dimensions given for both the 0-200 and the Lycoming 0 235.

I would suggest sticking to the once closest to your Corvair. Beyond the cascading consequences mentioned earlier, if for some reason the Corvair doesn't do everything you hope, you'll be free to go with other engines.

But if you narrow the firewall too much, it will be tough to widen it back out if you ever want to.

Comment

Working...
                              X