Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk 4-Place N27AZ First Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 4-Place N27AZ First Flight

Bearhawk Plans # 1217 started its construction journey 11 years, 8 moves, and 4 kids ago and finally took to the sky today under the identity N27AZ.

The details:
    - Basic fuselage was started from a VR3 kit (TIG welded, not by me). The rest of it was gas welded by me.
    - Wings are scratch built with 2x 20 gal integral aux tanks for a total of 90 gal of gas.
    - Landing gear, main fuel tanks, horizontal tail feathers, seats, cargo doors, engine mount, aileron hinge brackets, and a few other misc items are either new or pre-owned AviPro parts.
    - O-540-A1D5 is turning a Hartzell 82" prop. GRT EFIS.
    - In flight test configuration (front seats only, no upholstery, cushions, or carpet) the empty weight is 1434 lbs. At first, I thought the scales were wrong so I used a different set and got 1432 lbs.
    - Things that made it lighter: Oratex fabric (and interior), no seat cushions, minimal avionics, integral aux tanks, lightweight fuselage stringers,
    - Things that made it heavier: seaplane doors, 3rd row windows and additional floor in extended baggage area, larger 2nd row windows, skylight, integral aux tanks, full suite of interior and exterior lights
    - First year insurance was ~$5k underwritten by Starr Aviation. They didn't require me to have any previous time in a Bearhawk and the first flight was covered.

First flight squawks:
    - Heavy right wing (Plenty of forum advice on solving this)
    - CHTs would not allow me to reach 75% power without exceeding 425F (I'm told by Mike--Bob's co-worker--that this should become less of an issue after running the engine a bit)
    - Upon landing, right tank appeared full while left tank indicated -5 gal. After sitting on the ground, this mostly evened out.
    - The end plate on my temporary aluminum wingtips started coming off at the leading edge. I plan to trim this part off and re-rivet them on.

-Nic

image_11648.jpg

20220422_165352.jpg
    Last edited by nichzimmerman; 04-22-2022, 06:41 PM.

So happy for you and your persistence!

Comment

Wow...congratulations!

Comment

Looks great. Congratulations!!!!!

Comment

Beautiful.
          Gerry
          Patrol No Title

Comment

That's great ! Congratulations.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Looking great, enjoy every moment

Comment

Way to go!! Congrats
                N678C
                https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Congratulations !!!
                  Rob Caldwell
                  Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                  EAA Chapter 309
                  Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                  YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                  1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

congratulations, beautiful work!!!

Comment

Very nice and congratulations! Can you describe how you built the integral aux tanks. I always thought that would be a great way to save weight.

Comment

• nichzimmerman
                        nichzimmerman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Probably a good conversation for the "unsanctioned design modifications" section, but in essence, the tank is in the two bays just outside of the flap drive frame. There's a rear false spar just forward of the rear wing spar, and a forward false spar about 5" aft of the main spar. Just enough room for the aileron cable/pulley and a narrow access panel. My design was approved by Bob, but it was a lot of work and I'm not sure I would do it again. I'm very fortunate there are no leaks...yet.

Congratulations! It is highly motivating to see another Bearhawk flying!
                      Bill Duncan
                      Troy, Idaho
                      Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
                      N53BD - reserved
                      Builders-Log

Comment

Congratulations Nic!

Comment

You scratch built an airplane, and your wife still liked you enough that you had 4 kids in the process. Can you teach me how to do that? Bravo!

Comment

• nichzimmerman
                            nichzimmerman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It was only possible by averaging 6 hrs of sleep per night over the last decade. My wife needs 8. 98% of the work on this plane happened between 5 and 7AM. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made it past the wing ribs.

Well done Nic! Looking forward to hearing more about your impressions and debugging.

Kevin D

KCHD

Comment

Working...
                          X