Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevator Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I ask what mechanism/method you guys are using to measure your control surface deflection? I have some ideas for makeshift protractors but I’m curious what others are doing?
    Almost flying!

Comment

Digital level

Comment

Originally posted by AKKen07 View Post
        May I ask what mechanism/method you guys are using to measure your control surface deflection? I have some ideas for makeshift protractors but I’m curious what others are doing?
        Back before I had a digital level, I used a school kids protractor to make a cardboard template. But it's a little complicated on surfaces that aren't flat, like the Model B tail or the wing. But the digital level is handy for lots of things, even ignition timing, and I think the one I got was around $30.

Comment

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Dont know why a digital level never occurred to me.

I did what Jared did using weighted piece of safety wire (instead of a plumb bob) as my "pointer". I just placed the protractor in alignment with the upper surface of my favorite elevator rib. With the elevator clamped in a streamlined position to the horizontal stabilizer and the wire hanging over the protractor I called that my Zero reference point.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 01-08-2021, 06:18 PM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Do you have a smartphone? They make these crazy things call apps and they even have some that are digital levels! Amazing! 😁

But in all seriousness, I bought a digital level from Home-depot and it was really handy. I compared it with an app on my iPhone and they were the same. The digital level gives me a warm fuzzy over my phone but I honestly don’t think the result it any different. Either way...protractors are so 1900.😄
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Whee - how do you apply that to the rudder to measure it's travel?

• whee
            whee commented
            Editing a comment
            I set my rudder stops when the plan was still in my garage so I was able to put the fuselage on its side. When I rechecked the travel after final assembly I was forced to use math. I measured off of the forward portion of the rudder; at the tip forward of the hinge line.

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            ahh, nice. Thanks!

How I tell which horizontal stab is which is look for the trim drive guide bushings. Oil hole is up. YMMV as my stuff is scratch built.

Comment

I bought a digital level, in part so I could also use it to set the prop pitch. I could have used the phone, but my phone is in a "rubbery" case, and it has some bumps on it that might affect the actual "level" and make repeatability challenging. Also, the digital level is just long enough that I can loop a rubber band over one end of the level, then over the front of the prop blade, and around the other end of the level, thus holding it in place so I can use both hands to set the blade pitch... I couldn't do that with the phone.
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I used an app on my phone. Even with the case in its within 1/2 degree. Brilliant piece of kit.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Whee - how do you apply that to the rudder to measure it's travel?
                I think the compass on your phone would work for measuring rudder travel.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• AKKen07
                  AKKen07 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s a good idea

• JimParker256
                  JimParker256 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would think the close presence of the tubing would affect the magnetometer, rending the compass useless for this purpose.
              Working...
              X