Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windscreen fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen fit

With my windscreen fitted, the side which flares to follow the shape of the aerofoil doesn’t. If I put some downwards pressure it opens up becomes level with the lower surface of the wing.

Is this what I should do?

Put a rubber strip on the inboard side of the fairing, which will attach to the wing root and protrude inboard parallel to the wing skin. It will intersect the windshield, and with careful trimming during fabrication, should make a good seal. In our plane the outboard side of the fairing is attached, but the inboard side just floats in the windscreen area.

Comment

• Ray Strickland
      Ray Strickland commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I did; worked out fine.

Thanks Jared.

Comment

Correct me if I’m wrong....I thought the wings need to be installed to insure the windshield is properly aligned to the leading edge.

Comment

Has the LP windscreen been changed with the new aerofoil?

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          No. The same windshield works fine. Not enough difference in the leading edge to matter. Mark

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark Moyle is correct that having the wings in place (or simulating them) is good to best align the leading edge and the windshield. Mark

• SimonNicholson
          SimonNicholson commented
          Editing a comment
          As you can see from the picture my wings are on. The top of the windscreen is level with the wing but the underside is not as you can also see from the picture.

SimonNicholson that windshield should have been supplied with some felt strip with adhesive backing? If not, I have some you can use.

You want to use that felt to pack out the gap between the fairing and the windshield, it works great for preventing a draft (drag and cold!) and felt does not damage the plastic like bare metal can. It also seems to be pretty good as shedding water. I used this and doubled-down with a rubber edge strip like Jared suggested. It has never leaked and I have zero draft in that location.
        Last edited by Battson; 05-28-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jono. I have a bit I got of Mike Scotter, but it’s not enough to seal the sides. If I pull down on the sides the lower part will line up with the underside of the wing, but I wonder if that will stress the attach holes on the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonNicholson View Post
            Thanks Jono. I have a bit I got of Mike Scotter, but it’s not enough to seal the sides. If I pull down on the sides the lower part will line up with the underside of the wing, but I wonder if that will stress the attach holes on the sides.
            Grab some off me when you're down next.

Comment

I have another question regarding the fit. I have trimmed about 1/4 inch in the front to better fit the lines of my boot cowl but the sides are 3/4 inch away from the boot cowl at the door post tapering to a snug fit about a quarter way around. I know there will always be some gap which the daring will cover, but this seems like a lot.

Comment

I have got my windshield trimmed a little to fit. The leading edge of the wing will be about 1" forward of where the profile "leading edge" of the windscreen will sit. This seems like a lot to fill with some kind of filler.

Attached Files

Comment

That doesn't seem right. I bought the untrimmed windshield because my fuselage is scratch built. I had to trim some to get the windshield to line up with the leading edge of the wings. I did it with the wings mounted as I didn't trust using a template of the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonNicholson View Post
                    I have another question regarding the fit. I have trimmed about 1/4 inch in the front to better fit the lines of my boot cowl but the sides are 3/4 inch away from the boot cowl at the door post tapering to a snug fit about a quarter way around. I know there will always be some gap which the daring will cover, but this seems like a lot.
                    I had the same thing and every picture of other builds showed the same. I think I asked about it here and it seemed like most builders just filled the gap with silicon after putting on the fairing. I’m sure that works but I didn’t like it. I bought some weather seal off amazon and it was been great. No leaks.
                    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I had the wings on when I drilled them last year and the windshield fit about the same then. The plywood is a pretty accurate copy, if not pretty. To make the leading edges flush with the windshield, the windshield flange would have to be forward, outside of the kit channel that supports the trailing edge of the windshield.

Unless I did something wrong, I think I will just make the wing/fuselage fairing out of fiberglass at that junction to make it look better.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This is what I had to do.... Starts at 6:39 in the video.

Rob Caldwell
                        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                        EAA Chapter 309
                        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Hey Rob, thanks for all the great videos, it really give some great ideas on how to do things, the wind screen is an excellent example. It is one thing I have been trying to figure out how to do. Again thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X