Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that machine a KC-1620CML? What purposes will it serve for your Bearhawk build? Just curious; I’m building a QB Patrol kit and the experience is obviously much different than scratch, since so much is done for you that you often don’t consider the steps which were undertaken by others to get to that point.

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is, Time saver! For instance 4130n material stock required to complete the project is reduced. Nothing worse then fabrication being held up because of a engineering requirement of difficult to procure material sizing. Now I can just build whatever parts/tools I need. eg, tube notcher an exhaustive list would be long.
      Last edited by Sir Newton; 10-06-2020, 11:56 AM.

• I took a break from the wings and created a copy of a Tail Dragger Dragger. I'm calling it the Drag Queen. Still want to paint it but it actually works! 10" harbor freight air filled tires roll over the hangar tracks nicely.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great, I will do the same before I fly.

• Baggage Door Lock Front.jpgBaggage Door Inside.jpg

I decided I wanted a lockable baggage compartment and also to eliminate any openings to the outside for wind and elements. I installed this nice cam over mechanism which pulls the door firmly closed.
    Last edited by spinningwrench; 10-14-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Today I spent an hour here on the forums, clicking on random threads, and trying to match people's real names with their forum user names.
      I've got a paper list written out now, so from now on I should be able to address you all properly!

Thanks again everyone for all the help you send my way, and happy building

James
      The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

• Today I did some rib lacing and pondered my instrument panel layout......

9A08FC38-996B-43BB-AD0A-0E81FFA64313.jpeg

5A202E6E-911E-4C2B-8F74-F659452638A7.jpeg

Last edited by Nev; 10-17-2020, 04:28 AM.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Simplicity!! Nice.

• JimParker256
          JimParker256 commented
          Editing a comment
          ELT panel? Circuit breakers / fuses? I like the simplicity.

• James
          James commented
          Editing a comment
          What does the "cowl" knob do, Nev?

• IMG_1952-S.jpgIMG_1953-S.jpg
        I welded up a simple shock strut simulator. This uses a simple hardware store turnbuckle to simulate the landing gear at both minimum and maximum deflection without having to load the aircraft down with weights. Using paper templates I was able to then accurately locate the required shock strut openings in the lower boot cowl.

Comment

• spinningwrench
          spinningwrench commented
          Editing a comment
          NEV not sure what you are referring to. The adjustable rod you are seeing temporarily replaces the shock strut.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great idea.

• joehmason
          joehmason commented
          Editing a comment
          Nev, I'm pretty sure you are referring to the elevator push rod. The Patrol has a push rod for elevator control rather than cables.

• Jim You’re right, I will likely need an ELT panel and it’ll go above the right side air vent. Circuit breakers will be electronic via the Dynon ACM module mounted behind the panel.

James it’ll be for cowl flaps, unless I think I can simplify further by eliminating them. Not shown above but there will also be a park brake and heater knobs above the engine controls. At the advice of Dynon I’m probably about to eliminate the QNH/ALT/HDG selector panel as well. I figure I need two switches for fuel boost pump, and landing lights.

Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I was just going to mount my ELT under the pilot seat, and try to remember to reach down and turn it off and armed. That, or I'd put it up in the wing root.
          Last edited by svyolo; 10-21-2020, 12:04 PM.

• BravoGolf
          BravoGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          I use that panel a lot in my RV.

• 218E59C9-0592-4CCB-9769-08AA649694DD.jpeg Moved my Quickbuild wings from deep storage to the active hangar. I think this is an accurate description of wing walking.

Comment

• Started back on the doors. Changed the window lines and added a small “bubble” curve to give some rigidity to the acrylic, give a little more room and increase visibility. The lower part will be skinned in aluminium.

I plan to begin installing the latches tomorrow.

0B42174F-E578-44A7-A468-A0246445E31E.jpeg

0C22AEE6-C024-49EF-8512-95FEB376E98C.jpeg
          Last edited by Nev; 11-07-2020, 12:11 AM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Nev;
            How/where did you fasten the sheet metal below the door frames. The kit piece wraps around the lower longeron to the kit bottom aluminum piece but I extended the sides the same as you. I am going to weld on 3 or 4 tabs per side to fasten the aft half of that sheet metal. I haven't decided whether to wrap it around the tube, or put the tabs on top of the lower longerons and terminate it without the wrap.

• Westward_Flyer
            Westward_Flyer commented
            Editing a comment
            Really looking forward to more info on this, I'm planning on adding a slight bubble too in order to go with a lighter weight (thickness) acrylic and to combat drumming.

• Its not what i did today, but what i am going to do tomorrow is what im excited about! Officially starting to cover my airplane! Starting with the ailerons and flaps...expect ready for paint in the spring!

Comment

• robcaldwell
            robcaldwell commented
            Editing a comment
            Fabric covering and painting are my 2 favorite building tasks. Be sure you have installed the hinge brackets and test fitted the ailerons and flaps before covering them.

• Thanks Rob . Above tasks have been completed and fits are great!

Comment

• I finished the drag queen by practicing the Stewart's ekocrylic top coat process, then painted the wing support frames.
            This gallery has 4 photos.
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

• Chewie
              Chewie commented
              Editing a comment
              So I'm told. https://youtu.be/B7jkXoGxM_U

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a respirator with organic vapor cartridges topped with dust filters when spraying Stewarts products. Change them out when I can start smelling what I am spraying. Just because they are waterbourne doesn't mean there is no hazard.

• Chewie
              Chewie commented
              Editing a comment
              In September when the smoke limited visibility to a quarter mile for a solid week, our AQIs were in the 500s. That's a hazard!

• More door progress. Left door mostly finished now. I’ll add a gas strut to the back frame, and possibly a grab handle to help close from the inside.

It has given a noticeable increase in “shoulder-width” space, around 2-3 inches, which carries forward to the knee area too. Probably no additional space at eye level though with the way I think the acrylic will lay.

32460A2F-D120-4F89-B340-DCDDF6423283.jpeg

41940783-D7AE-4639-BEC2-63EDC91DFEE5.jpeg

Attached Files
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by Nev; 11-19-2020, 04:18 AM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks really nice, now wishing I had gone with seaplane doors.

• svyolo - apologies, I just saw your comment above now.

I’m adding adel clamps to the lower longerons, with tinnermans on them and will use sheet metal screws to attach the aluminium lower skin to the tinnermans through the belly fabric. I plan to use a soldering iron to melt holes through the fabric with a dollar patch in these areas. The tinnermans will have a small dab of adhesive (sikaflex or similar) to keep them attached when the screw is not in place. So the adel clamps and tinnermans will sit inside the fabric, with the aluminum skin on the outside. If you weld tabs on, I’d consider welding them on the underside and wrapping the skin around with a small over-lap. Just my 2c, I think it’d give good results.

I’m pleased with the lower skins running back to the rear door pillar, partly for the way they look and the additional protection, but largely because of the way the fabric can now terminate inside the rear door pillar, with the aluminium skin overlapping it. Everything goes together very neatly, whereas before I couldn’t find a logical way to terminate the fabric under the door.
            Last edited by Nev; 11-19-2020, 12:39 PM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah I wanted to wrap it around to stiffen the edge so the airstream didn't grab it. I am not sure about using adel clamps under the fabric as they might chafe the fabric pretty quickly. Maybe some adel clamps holding a piece of angle and have the fabric ride over that before it wraps around the lower longeron?

• I completed a list of the rivets required for my scratch build BK5 wings. It is more work then I thought it would be. Placed the order with a supplier along with 750 differing Clecos required to hold it all together. Now I am designing a jig to build the wings main & rear spars on. Fairly simple stuff but it is keeping me entertained during CV-19 days.
            Last edited by Sir Newton; 11-19-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X