Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned on the electrical system for the first time today. No smoke! 20221115_163228.jpg

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great looking panel Paul! Big accomplishment. I'm just starting my avionics wiring.

• One tip on fitting trailing edges from my old biplane days, put a small ball of thickened epoxy adhesive where the inside of the t.e. and the end of the rib fit together. Pop rivets can and do get loose from vibration, fabric tension and age allowing the t.e. to shift fwd leaving an annoying wrinkle in the covering just fwd of the t.e. The cured epoxy keeps the t.e. and the rib intersection stable. Keep the epoxy balls small so there is little weight to counterbalance on the ailerons.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 11-16-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• I moved into a hangar yesterday in Arlington WA. Taking down my rented shop for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

• N3UW
        N3UW commented
        Editing a comment
        Svyolo…. Welcome to KAWO. Where are you on the field. I am also at Arlington. I am on the NE end just behind Eviation. I am there most days. I built an office in the back corner of my hangar that I telecommute from. You aren’t sharing a hangar with Fisel by any chance? We should meet up. I am building a patrol. I bought a quick build fuselage from mark and have scratch built the wings.
        Last edited by N3UW; 11-17-2022, 08:45 PM.

• IMG_0013.jpgYHAP8364.jpgIMG_4082.jpgIMG_4419.jpg
      This is my version of Horner tips 4 pieces of 2 in foam cut to the wing rib template .750 alum on a table router then stacked together with 1 in alum rod then used a hot wire to cut along the template and another template for the outer end. Sanded the mold to final shape, then prepped 2 layers of carbon fiber and one layer of fiberglass layed it over the styrofoam mold sitting on the template and vacuum bagged the complete tip to an old solid core door as a base. Tried to upload some more pics but its an Iphone and they are HEIC files.
      Last edited by huntaero; 11-17-2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        Try taking a screenshot and uploading that ?

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        Woah - very nice !

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look great! Interesting how many of us are making our own Hoerner wingtips

• Thanks Nev that worked IMG_4662.pngIMG_4660.pngIMG_4657.pngIMG_4663.pngIMG_4658.png

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        That seems so easy to do. Now that I see the pictures. I am willing to bet there is a pile of work involved in what you are building to layup wing tips.

• Yes there is alot of sanding and had a few wrinkles then add some fiberglass over those areas and added a couple layers at the inbourd edge to build it up for anchor nuts and to fit the wing. I also put a 1 inch peice of foam cut to the template, not sanded covered in packing tape so it wouldnt stick to make it easy to remove once cured. All this so it would fit into the wing nicely and blend in with the rest of the tip. I left the foam in place as it gives a lot of strength weight 3.5 lbs ea tip.

Comment

• Good time to start winter projects. Working on panel and wiring since all the Garmin products have arrived. I do my initial layout on a CNC cut piece of Lexan to see if there are problems before I commit to the final Patrol metal dash. I am using a small hinged subpanel which will allow good access to all the remote mounted components behind the main dash.

​​​​​​​
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Did my W&B today. Local EAA Tech Advisor visited with his fancy scales and we knocked it out. I left out the back seat and seatbelts in order to use this config as my base. Pretty happy with the results! Weight 1476 at 9.58".
          Almost flying!

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Very respectable!

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Then I went through your post with remeasured arms ... now I can't wait to get home and measure mine all over. If my gear measurement is wrong and yours correct I will be almost a full inch forward! yeesh.

• Installed my insulated engine cover today! Perfect fit. I bought it from Bruce's Custom Covers during Oshkosh this year. I would have had it months ago but I was slow getting them the measurements and pictures they needed.

They asked for specific dimensions which I provided as well as I could. They produced a mock-up that included all of the velcro and buckles to check the fit. It wasn't perfect so I marked it up and took pictures. They used that info to make the final cover that fits perfectly. The colour matches really well too!

IMG_0002.jpg

Attached Files
          4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
          IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            Fancy Fancy

• A few more bits done. The last week was spent building a 52in capacity slip roller for a mechanic friend of mine that helps me on my project when he has time. I finished it this morning and we made these engine cowl doors. The good news is he gets to take this thing to his shop and I get valuable floor space back! The cowl doors came out great.

20221208_100354.jpg20221208_142326.jpg20221208_213008.jpg20221208_214719.jpg

Comment

• RobinDeMarco
            RobinDeMarco commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good, Paul!

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, that almost looks like cheating :-)
            Awesome I like it!

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that a T3 tailwheel sitting behind the roller ?

• CNC routing Bearhawk Patrol windows

IMG_0394.MOV

Comment

• Got my rear bulkhead done last month. Working on floors now.

Comment

• AKKen07
              AKKen07 commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s pretty cool! Looks like an idea off a Nissan Xterra

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              Watched your videos of how you made this - thoroughly enjoyed them !

• Pitot tube mount. I was going to order from Steen but got tired of waiting... Now I'm the proud owner of a 1/8-27 pipe tap!
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

• BravoGolf
              BravoGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks great!

• AKKen07
              AKKen07 commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! Do you have a plan for how you’ll locate the hole in the leading edge skin?

• Chewie
              Chewie commented
              Editing a comment
              AKKen07 I usually just ask Scott (BravoGolf) what he did. But no I don't have a plan yet. Possibly cutting the hole first and drilling the base to the spar wherever it lands.

• Panel done and all lit up, now just need the rest of the airplane around it to be finished.

Panel resized.jpg

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Another well thought out, great looking panel!

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! That looks great!

• I had started building the wing when I lived in Colorado and when I moved back to Seattle I had crated it up for the move. In CO I had a basement so the wing jig was easy with a 4x4 from the floor to the ceiling. Here I am building in my hangar and it has 25' ceilings so no 4x4 to the ceiling. After working on the fuselage for a bit I finally built a wing jig / wing rotisserie to finish up this wing and assemble the second wing. I built the jig out of free 3" square steel that was used for the crate Eviation used to bring over their prototype fuselage of their electric airplane from Europe to Arlington, WA.

I built the jig bolted to female anchors in the concrete floor. The Jig also allowed me to bolt the attach arms in a fixed position so that I can use it as a wing assembly fixture and then unbolt them so that I can turn it into a rotisserie. I added a lead shot filled square tube as a counterweight so the wing would spin balanced. I used a 10" steel disk from a table saw as sanding disk and a discarded laptop mount from a police car to be able to index the rotation of the wing. If I need a new stop location, I just grind in a new slot. The unit works GREAT. I also plan to use it for painting the wing.
            This gallery has 5 photos.
            John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Chewie
              Chewie commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks great John! That steel you used might become famous someday. Will you be able to paint your fuselage with this as well?

• N3UW
              N3UW commented
              Editing a comment
              Chewie. I do not think it will work for the fuselage without major modifications .I was going to build something else for fuselage painting when that time eventually comes.
          Working...
          X