Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diving Deep on Bearhawk 4-Place Weight and Balance, Especially Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diving Deep on Bearhawk 4-Place Weight and Balance, Especially Arms

Buried in another thread, Battson brought up an interesting discussion about moment arms for the seats in the Bearhawk. Let's collect some data and see if we can find the best way to ensure we are loading the planes in a predictable way.

First, let's talk about flight testing. At some point in the test phase, it's important to fly the airplane at max gross weight and at the aft CG. Obviously this does not mean that we start from a solo, half fuel weight on one flight, and load it right up to 2500 pounds on the next. Rather, we incrementally increase the weight with ballast, and as we do, the CG very gradually moves aft. We evaluate the characteristics of the airplane with each small change, paying special attention to the pitch control. As the CG moves aft, the pilot should notice that the elevator forces feel lighter, there is less pitch trim change required with airspeed change, and the pitch axis will become less stable.

Stable in this context means less likely to correct itself. So that means flying in trim at 80 knots, a bump aft on the stick will raise the nose. How and when the nose drops back down will change as the CG goes aft, up until the point where it doesn't go down at all. Rather, it will continue to increase, until the pilot intervenes. This is generally accepted as bad airplane behavior, and actual flight tests should not reach this point.

We avoid this by honoring the published CG limits. But our ability to honor those limits is only as good as our calculations. If we use a method different from the one that Bob did when he designed those limits, then our calculations may not match.

So let's collect some data. What do you use for arms, particularly on the seats?

Jonathan says "My front seat arm is 690mm (27"), rear seat is 1450mm (57"). I probably measured that with the front seat fully aft, as the most conservative option." We also know that he excels in height and leg length, among his many other favorable traits.

The spreadsheet that I've used for years shows 15 inches for the front seat and 52 for the back seat. This is a big difference!

While I was in the shop yesterday I remeasured and came up with the following, on a Model A kit fuselage. Please measure yours if you have one, and report back.

Front seat, forward-most position:
    Front lip of seat: 7.5
    Intersection of the top of the seat pan and the front of the seat back: 23.5
    Front seat, rearward-most position:
    Front lip of seat: 13.5
    Intersection of the top of the seat pan and the front of the seat back: 29.5

Rear seat:
    46-57.5 (same points as front seat)

Baggage: 65-94.5

So clearly the CG calculations are going to vary depending on which seat position is selected in the track, and where the human CG falls on the seat pan. How do we narrow down these variables?

There are some great minds in the group, and I'd love to hear what you think about arm selection and how that has worked out in flight testing. I found that with my simple numbers of 15 and 52, I didn't like the way the airplane flew before I reached Bob's limit.

Great topic Jared. I struggled with the arms when preparing for CG flight testing and haven't settled on any likable solution yet. Cessna seats have a large range of motion so I plan to look at their solution but haven't done it yet.

When I did my flight testing I measured as closely as possible where my CG was in the seat and where the CG was of the water jugs and used those arms so I have high confidence in my flight testing results. For actual everyday flying, I use what I thought were more conservative numbers but now I need to recheck them.

Some of my data won't be applicable since my rear seat position is adjustable and my trim tabs don't servo.

When I'm at the hangar later I'll grab my flight test notes and measure my airplane.

65227159_10217281196209264_7813359377661820928_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=xXZRaEGU6eEAX8I9OF7&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=f7ae59b950c9e83bee82df4cf4b56bc6&oe=5ECD1596.jpg
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• JCD23
      JCD23 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would like to understand how you altered your trim tabs not to servo and what your real world experience of this in lateral stability and control forces. Thanks - Justin

I've been thinking about moment arms a lot (makes great dinner conversation with the wife), and it seems to me that the best way to measure the arms of various locations is not with a tape measure but with the scales. Once your empty is established, putting a known weight in an accepted location (such as you sitting in the seat with your feet on the pedals etc) will result in a change in scale readings which will tell you the exact effective arm of a mass with human geometry sitting in that seat.

You could verify this method with a tape measure by testing it with something where the location of the load is more focused like a jug of water. Then tape measure and scale methods should both be fairly accurate and thus comparable with each other.

Just theory and thinking out loud.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing!

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes the most sense to me. Too many other variables for a single Bearhawk answer. Where the seat is for you, type and thickness of cushions, etc. Sounds like a good thing to do when you weigh your bird for the first time.

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
    While I was in the shop yesterday I remeasured and came up with the following, on a Model A kit fuselage. Please measure yours if you have one, and report back.

Front seat, forward-most position:
    Front lip of seat: 7.5
    Intersection of the top of the seat pan and the front of the seat back: 23.5
    Front seat, rearward-most position:
    Front lip of seat: 13.5
    Intersection of the top of the seat pan and the front of the seat back: 29.5

Rear seat:
    46-57.5 (same points as front seat)

Baggage: 65-94.5

Sorry Jared - where are you measuring from? The Datum is all-important here, if we want to compared apples with apples across aircraft.

I suggest it's easier to measure from a known plane which is almost perpendicular with the thrust line, like the firewall. Then the question becomes simpler, i.e. how far is the firewall from the Datum. Everyone's firewall to seat distances should be the same, I suppose. Maybe not...

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MEASURE - please waits for Jared's instruction, mine is just a suggestion.

For clarification - I used (attempted to use) the leading edge of the wing as the Datum, in the three point attitude of course - which is one area where the different builder's measurements can vary.
    Last edited by Battson; 02-06-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Is the firewall perpendicular? My plans are a few hundred miles away...
      Since the pitch stability is largely based on the distance from the center of gravity to the wing's center of lift, seems like the wing leading edge would be the best datum. Either way, there is great benefit to standardization among the fleet (different for Bravo?) and I'll probably use the same datum as Jared.

Comment

When I did my w&b, I took the time to measure the location of the pilot seat, passenger and baggage space. Measurement was done with a plumb bob, with the airplane level, datum being the wing leading edge.
        See attached photos and raw measurements.

Mike

B1C99954-A7E5-4691-B044-365AD1E3025E.jpeg

27CD94A4-8169-4AAC-B5CB-EC4E4606B101.jpeg46CA806B-DC7A-4C46-B163-C64534F65F29.jpeg5FC9E39E-DB2B-4F83-99D9-DE2C16C62A8D.jpeg8F7FC79A-1765-4FD4-AF4E-420F037E9646.jpeg1A70B67B-72E3-4F7B-B4C5-9E129916B68D.jpeg
        CB06512B-76B9-4B71-8818-F0EFFC8C6BD6.jpeg

Comment

Bob has specified that the datum be the leading edge of the wing with the plane in level flight attitude. So our weight and balance sheets should be the same...maybe.

To Battson’s point: I found it challenging to get accurate measurements of the variable arms in my airplane when at 3 point attitude and using the leading edge as the datum. To make it easier on myself I adjusted to use the cross tube at the bottom of the instrument panel as a datum so I could measure the different arms at the various seat positions quickly and accurately. Doing like Battson said and using the firewall would make it easier for us to compare numbers as many of us aren’t going to level the plane and hang plumb bobs for this discussion.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point about changing it for discussion. For anybody doing their first w&b they could take the measurement from wing LE to firewall and adjust accordingly for comparison purposes.

I am editing my post because others have hit on the same information as others...we were posting at the same time.

Bob declared the weight and balance datum as the Wing's leading edge on the Patrol Plans page 1. Under DATA, just below the Empty Weight in the area where he tells us the CG envelope. The definition of a Patrol's level fuselage is the floor between stations B and station D.

I might add that putting labels on the wall or floor every 10 inches or so to streamline future weight and balance calculations. Two years form now when I put a 40 pound sack of flower in the baggage next to a four bags of cement, I could see the ARM and make easy CG calculations. Easy CG calculations are essential. If its not easy, then we fly without ever doing them. The big benefit is knowing were its at is we might give ourselves more freedom to load the plane differently and discover that the plane flies better when the CG is not at the far forward edge of the envelope.

Declaring your own datum....nothing wrong with that. For comparison, we need to know how far it is from the leading edge for our evaluations and comparisons.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.07.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.07.33 PM.png
          Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.13.27 PM.png
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I like Mark and Ken's idea of using your own weight in the pilot seat adjusted for your use, after getting your empty weight and balance. I seem to recall Bob saying to use the location of your belt buckle as the datum while sitting in the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
              I like Mark and Ken's idea of using your own weight in the pilot seat adjusted for your use, after getting your empty weight and balance. I seem to recall Bob saying to use the location of your belt buckle as the datum while sitting in the seats.
              And for anyone concerned about how much smaller the distance might be between BOB's belt buckle and the seat back, versus YOUR belt buckle and the seat back, read on... (In my case, there could be several inches difference, since Bob is a LOT skinnier than I am...)

Here's a relatively simple way to obtain the "real" arm for YOUR location in the seats... I used the following approach to validate the arm locations for the seats in my Commander 114, which had an aftermarket turbo-normalizer that moved the CG somewhat forward, exacerbating the 114's already slightly nose-heavy weight distribution. The pilot seats were just slightly forward of the empty CG, so with very low fuel, it was easy to put a couple of heavy folks up front, nothing in the back, and be outside the forward CG limits... I wanted to know how much ballast I needed to carry to ensure this was never the case.

So we rigged the airplane for weight and balance (drained all the usable fuel, emptied all the "junk" that accumulates over time, and leveled it, all per the POH weighing instructions, etc.), and got the "empty" numbers for all three wheels. Then, with the airplane still on the scales, I actually sat in the pilot's seat, adjusted as I would have it for flight, and we took the new weights at all three wheels. Having determine the empty weight and CG, followed by the "with pilot" weight and CG, it was relatively easy math to determine the "arm" for the pilot's seat location with me in it, using the change in weight and CG.

Using this approach, you will KNOW the actual arm for the person sitting in those seats. For everything other than the Companion, I would probably take a third weight reading, this time sitting in the back seat, so I could also reverse-calculate the arm for the aft seating location. (In my case, maybe use a "normal-sized" person for that position?)

The beauty of this approach is that you don't even have to wait for the entire airplane to be completed, just the fuselage on gear and the seats themselves, so you can put it on the scales.
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

You are starting with true weight and balance results and reverse engineering numbers to satisfy the results, rather than the other way around. That's why I like this method, it takes more into account, even the weight applied by your heels. Good point about using the bare fuselage. I still think it would be good to verify using a tape measure, and the question of defining the datum remains, but a nice trick to keep in the tool box.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                  You are starting with true weight and balance results and reverse engineering numbers to satisfy the results, rather than the other way around. That's why I like this method, it takes more into account, even the weight applied by your heels. Good point about using the bare fuselage. I still think it would be good to verify using a tape measure, and the question of defining the datum remains, but a nice trick to keep in the tool box.
                  Yeah, I'm completely sold on using "true W&B results"... I've weighed every aircraft I've owned, and NONE of them matched to either the weight OR the arm claimed by the W&B documents. Three were heavier AND the CG was different than claimed, while one weighed the claimed amount, but the CG was significantly different than claimed (over 1.5" further aft, which was a good thing for that particular airplane).

I use a fairly inexpensive app (W&B Pro from the Apple App Store) that makes doing a W&B calc for every flight a piece of cake. Takes less than 10 seconds to set the sliders to the proper weight of each occupant, the fuel load (in gallons to make it even easier), and any cargo being carried, and instantly warns you if you're out of CG range (all the text turns red). You can even set it up CG ranges for "Standard" and "Utility" categories (plus aerobatic, for Citabrias), and it will tell you which category you meet for that flight. My only affiliation with W&B Pro is as a satisfied customer.
                  Last edited by JimParker256; 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM. Reason: Brain fart - should have said "W&B Pro" for the app. Fixed it above.
                  Jim Parker
                  Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                  RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did a search in the App Store for "W&B Plus" and not not come up with anything...

• JimParker256
                    JimParker256 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fixed it for future reference... The app name is W&B Pro. Sorry, Rob!

So I re-did my w&b the other day to make sure it was right after some aft C.G. flight testing lead to results I didn't expect. While it was on the scales, I re-measured my Arms for all the stations using a known weight. That is, I would put a heavy object in each seat and then at a couple positions in the baggage area, take the new weight and c.g. of the airplane and figure out what Arm that weight must be at to move the c.g. to there. This way I could eliminate any measuring error with the plumb bob and tape measure as these were digital scales.... though I did the plumb bob tape and tape measure again as well to verify my results.

Using the leading edge as datum.
                  Front seats - 20.5"
                  Rear Seats - 55.25"
                  Front of the cargo area(touching the back of the rear seat) - 82.25"
                  Rear of the cargo area(touching the bulkhead) - 97.5"
                  Fuel - 23.875"

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post
                    So I re-did my w&b the other day to make sure it was right after some aft C.G. flight testing lead to results I didn't expect. While it was on the scales, I re-measured my Arms for all the stations using a known weight. That is, I would put a heavy object in each seat and then at a couple positions in the baggage area, take the new weight and c.g. of the airplane and figure out what Arm that weight must be at to move the c.g. to there. This way I could eliminate any measuring error with the plumb bob and tape measure as these were digital scales.... though I did the plumb bob tape and tape measure again as well to verify my results.

Using the leading edge as datum.
                    Front seats - 20.5"
                    Rear Seats - 55.25"
                    Front of the cargo area(touching the back of the rear seat) - 82.25"
                    Rear of the cargo area(touching the bulkhead) - 97.5"
                    Fuel - 23.875"
                    Very good data! So did these differ from your geometrically measured arms?

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post

Very good data! So did these differ from your geometrically measured arms?
                      Only slightly.

Comment

Working...
                      X