Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPRL fuel selector and gascolator install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPRL fuel selector and gascolator install.

I've been trying to find some examples of how other kit builders are installing the SPRL fuel selector and gascolator. I found a few related posts and read that the gascolator should be directly coupled to the fuel selector, but haven't seen any examples or data on how anyone has done that. I'm attaching a few photos of how I'm interpreting the install.

​​​​​​My plan is to flush rivet the mounting plate. Then use 1/4-20 flush screws to mount the gascolator to the same plate. I'm thinking of leaving enough room on the plate opening for the fuel selector to move fore and aft in case I ever need to replace the coupler . What are some other things I should consider before making this permanent?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by N8doggaf; 10-04-2020, 08:11 PM.

Looks to me like you have it all correctly installed. For those of you not familiar - this is the way Bob came up with to install the SPRL fuel valve that they specially make for us w/gascolator per Bob's specs.

Thanks for posting the pics as I have been wanting to supply either a drawing or pics like this with the valve to help show how this is supposed to work. Mark

Comment

• James
      James commented
      Editing a comment
      Does that mounting plate come with the new kits? Looks pretty hefty!

• N8doggaf
      N8doggaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark. Good to know I'm going in the right direction. I'll post more pictures as I progress. James, yes that plate came in my kit and it most definitely is hefty.

• David Swartzendruber
      David Swartzendruber commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark, Is there a reason that Bob didn't design the gascolator with the OUT port coming out the side instead of the rear? It seems like coming out the side would simplify the routing of the fuel line and reduce the bends it has to make. Would also put the gascolator at the absolute lowest point instead of the OUT line continuing a little lower before turning.

I’ve done mine roughly the same as yours. I mounted the fuel selector through the floor pan which complicates it slightly as you wont have adequate clearance below to do up the AN fittings, but gives a neat finish. I used a Dremel to improve clearance.

Can I ask what fittings you are using ? It looks like I need an ORB for the fuel selector, and an NPT for the gascolator. Is there one NPT to ORB fitting ? Or two separate fittings ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nev; 10-04-2020, 12:49 PM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Fuel Selector-S.jpg
      This is my mount on the Patrol. You are building a 4 place which is different. i wanted to use the bracket already welded in by the factory for the fuel selector plus this keeps it lower to the floor rather than sticking up to be a foot "grabber.' The bezel on the SPRL valve will end up just on top of the floor boards. Making a right angle turn to the gascolator gave me much better clearance to the gear legs and starts to turn the outlet forward towards the fuel flow transducer and eventually the firewall. The drain on the gascolator ends up at the right height to just protrude through the bottom of the boot cowl.

Comment

I have a much older kit, without the mounting tabs. I close-coupled the valve in front of the gascolator, but put 2x 45 degree NPT fittings to offset the valve about 2" to the left. I did this because I thought the flap handle would foul the valve on the centreline, and in other posts other builders even talk about extending the flap handle. The valve still clears my heels with my feet on the left pedals.

I'm not up and flying yet, and I was a bit worried about fuel flow through the two extra fittings, but comparing with other installations like shown above, I think I'll be right.

When you order the SPRL valve from ACS, you have to order the flared and NPT fittings separately - they come in bags of three, so get on the forums and ask if anyone's got a spare NPT fitting you could borrow :-)

James
        The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Originally posted by N8doggaf View Post

​​​​​​What are some other things I should consider before making this permanent?
          Add the outlet fitting at the aft end of the gascolator and see if it clears the steel tubing at station B. Mine didn’t, so I’m trying a 90 degree NPT - AN fitting which gives clearance but may reduce fuel flow. I’ll post pics later for you.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• N8doggaf
            N8doggaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I'll definitely check that before I start drilling holes.

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've read (multiple places) that two 45º fittings are less restrictive to the fuel flow than a single 90º fitting...

Originally posted by Nev View Post
          I’ve done mine roughly the same as yours. I mounted the fuel selector through the floor pan which complicates it slightly as you wont have adequate clearance below to do up the AN fittings, but gives a neat finish. I used a Dremel to improve clearance.

Can I ask what fittings you are using ? It looks like I need an ORB for the fuel selector, and an NPT for the gascolator. Is there one NPT to ORB fitting ? Or two separate fittings ?

Thanks.
          It's definitely a tight fit underneath but it looks like I shouldn't have any issues or need to add more clearance...yet. I am thinking I'll need to remove a little bit of bend in the mounting stand to make it a bit easier moving it in and out of place.

As for the fittings, the parts I received from Mark in my kit is what you see in the disassembled picture. I can't find the PN for the gascolator nipple fitting but it appears the SPRL​ fitting is PN 05-04454 on Spruce, I think.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• James
            James commented
            Editing a comment
            In my post above, I said you end up with extra fittings, but it looks like Mark now gives builders everything they need.
            I ordered my valve separately before I realised Mark also sold it, and I had to order these fittings separately again.
            Go with Mark's offering!

James

Thanks - found the correct parts now, same as yours. The only issue I have is the aft outlet from the gascolator. If you haven’t yet drilled the rivet/screw holes to fit the fuel selector etc you could hold off. I’ve done mine, but it would have been nice to be able to slide the whole setup forward about 1/4 inch or so. I couldn’t use a straight fitting, so have bought a 90 d fitting. Using a 90d fitting is what I was keen to avoid so any ideas appreciated. However on mine it’s not possible to run the fuel directly aft out of the gascolator as it will hit the bulkhead tubing.

7397DFAE-C631-4B47-B6F0-93CBD7B2EEAF.jpeg

5580B86A-5A7F-48D7-B46E-722839FE6E7A.jpeg

7937ADA9-A147-4678-A2C2-E57CCE609B4D.jpeg
          Last edited by Nev; 10-05-2020, 12:07 AM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• James
            James commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I had to go 90 degrees there as well. I looked at the internal pathways inside the SPRL valve and the gascolator - I decided that one more 90 degree bend isn't that bad, given that this part of the fuel system has all the combined flow.

• huntaero
            huntaero commented
            Editing a comment
            Has any one used the Phenix fittings as listed in the Aircraft Spruce catalog with any success, they have a nice curve rather than a straight 90 degree fitting and are aircraft 37 degree compatible
            Last edited by huntaero; 08-24-2021, 02:58 PM.

I used 45s or 30s to clear tubes in situations like that
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I ran into an interesting problem today when I tried to do a final fit with all AN fittings jn place and the Gascolator attached to the Fuel selector. The issue is that both the Fuel selector and Gascolator have to be assembled together prior to installation otherwise you can’t “wind” the gascolator onto the fuel selector once it’s in position. A work around was to remove the selector pointer and body, enlarge the circular hole in the floor pan and lower it over the top.

The two gascolator mounting bolts protrude throuthe front floor pan, so if you have a better solution please let me know as mine looks a bit agricultural at present.

015E1269-4C45-4527-86C4-8D79D0C36E0D.jpeg

49AD5E7A-383B-4967-9C99-8A7E977A640E.jpeg

5E0F20C4-345E-4D5F-9918-2E5305BAF1FD.jpeg

Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• James
              James commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Nev - I wanted the bolt heads to protrude through the floor, so I could lockwire them together.
              "Agricultural" is something to aim for!

FWIW, How I did mine with an EFI fuel pump. There is no way I could reach the fuel selector mounted forward of the flap handle. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=281879&row=10

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
              How I did mine with an EFI fuel pump.
              Thanks - yours looks very well thought out.

I spent some time “in the seat” reaching for the flap handle and fuel selector and I could see the selector from a normal seated position, and can reach it by leaning forward. Same as the flap handle. So while not perfect, it should be ok.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• PaulSA
                PaulSA commented
                Editing a comment
                My feeling is that inertia-reel belts are a must ......

Does anyone have a clever way to access the gascolator to remove the bowl for cleaning, without removing the whole stainless tunnel ? This is on the B model which has the gascolator above the tunnel.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                My old plane had an inspection ring below the gascolator. It had a small hole for accessing the quick-drain pre-flight samples. To remove the gascolator cover, you just removed the inspection panel, which gave "reasonable" access to the gascolator bowl and attachment. Not super-easy, but do-able... There may be better ways.

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                You could make an access panel in the tunnel.

Yes I’m wondering about making an access panel. Presumably it would also need to be stainless. I’ll wait until I have the exhaust pipe fitted etc to see how it’s going to work out. It could turn into a pretty complicated piece of real estate.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I am still trying to find something simple in airplane building.

• gregc
                gregc commented
                Editing a comment
                If it seems simple it usually means I don't understand it ;-)

Mine is not under the tunnel. I've since changed the hard lines to and from the inline filter with teflon flexible steel braided lines, which also reduced the number bends. I still need to remove AL skin under the floorboards. So I split that panel for quicker access to the gascolator.

IMG_1275.jpeg
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
              X