Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock Strut Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Strut Boots

I've been exploring options for the boot around the shock struts and found these. Has anyone given these a try and did it work out?

Or even something like this, trimmed down a bit:

Each Individual component of this part is made with high quality materials. They use only synthetic oils on Hydraulic engine mounting. We will not declare as a gift. FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER BOOT. Part Subgroup: Shock Absorber Boots.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM.

links are not working

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Try it now. Had some issues when the site went down this morning.

I used cheap shifter boots while i looked for something better. The narrow end is positioned and sealed with a zip tie against a small plastic bushing on the threaded shaft of the rod end. It drapes over the upper end of the strut and flares out through the movement hole and is kept in place with an outer flange screwed to the boot cowl. It doesn’t move with the shock but closes out the area sufficiently to prevent fumes etc.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      I never thought about inverting the boots. Great idea...wheels are turning!

Mark Goldberg's reply from earlier today that I inadvertently deleted (long story, sorry Mark)
    You could also use the fiberglass fairing that Bob makes. When on the ground it can pull away from the boot cowl sheet metal a little. But in the air it tucks up tight and helps reduce drag from the round tube top of the shock struts. Mark

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      That's something completely new to me. I just visited his web site and saw the fairings for the Patrol, but didn't see anything for the 4-place. Not really sure how that would work with the movement of the struts though, being solid.

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      When the struts are unloaded, the fairing seals against the belly. On the ground, as the struts extend, there is a gap between the belly and the upper flange of the fairing.

• kestrel
      kestrel commented
      Editing a comment
      Are they available for the 4 place? ...or will the Patrol fairings fit the 4 place?

Here is what I did.

I used the softest CV boot I could find.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I had in mind. Thanks! BTW, what is the make/model of car these came from?

This is what I did, in the end.

I started out with boots, however I found it was a terrible annoyance and took far too long at annual maintenance time. The metal parts that held them in place also scratched the paint on the shock struts.

This design allows me to just slip the whole belly panel off in one go. Ideally I would cut it into two pieces so I can remove half at a time, for ease of access. Removing the whole thing at once is a fiddly job. I would always stick with this design of boot.

When in flight, the gear retract inwards and it all seals up nicely.

Sorry about the poor photo, I just snapped it on the way past. This engine now leaks a little oil, after it's visit to the shop, whereas new from Bob it didn't lose a drop.
    IMG_20190820_103113.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Battson, did you use baffle material there? Looks like one piece for each strut more or less bent around and pop riveted? Looks great, I may emulate your idea. Thanks for posting it!

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes just any rubbery material. I think this is some Homedepot stuff intended for roofs.

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
    Mark Goldberg's reply from earlier today that I inadvertently deleted (long story, sorry Mark)
    You could also use the fiberglass fairing that Bob makes. When on the ground it can pull away from the boot cowl sheet metal a little. But in the air it tucks up tight and helps reduce drag from the round tube top of the shock struts. Mark
    Does anyone have a link or a photo they would care to share?
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Yes, unfortunately I will be re-doing this area where the gear struts penetrate the belly. I just cannot seem to get this sealed up, despite the inordinate amount of time I've spent down there. CO is real problem for me. I suggest everyone consider a CO detector for this reason.
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I saw the comment about shock strut fairings for the Patrol and called Bob about them. He said they don't fit the 4-place, apparently the angle between the struts and the fuselage is different. He briefly explained how to make them, doesn't sound too difficult.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        I spent 4 months making a pair....I know there is a better way. Can you share how Bob does it?

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        He didn't go into much detail. He said use a come-a-long to pull the gear together. Shape foam to streamline the struts and cover the opening, then glass it. I would like to see a picture of the ones he sells.

• robcaldwell
        robcaldwell commented
        Editing a comment
        I wasn't aware that Bob sold a cover for the gear leg struts. I was at his hangar a year ago and saw the wing strut fairings he sells. Didn't see anything for the gear legs.

I have a set of what Bob sells, made of carbon fiber. Weigh 9.3oz for the pair.

20211109_130441.jpg20211109_130501.jpg20211109_130557.jpg20211109_130627.jpg20211109_130616.jpg20211109_130605.jpg20211109_130551.jpg20211109_130720.jpg20211109_130713.jpg20211109_130729.jpg20211109_130858.jpg ​

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
        I have a set of what Bob sells, made of carbon fiber. Weigh 9.3oz for the pair.
        NICE!

Are these for sale?
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
          alaskabearhawk commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure Bob sells them. Mine are not for sale. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try them out next year!

• Utah-Jay
          Utah-Jay commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, anyone have these installed yet? Photos?

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          I am also interested in seeing how these are installed. I can't imagine streamlined... Broadside seems quite a bit draggy. But I guess drag is better than CO!

They install streamlined. The open edge is oriented to the rear of the aircraft and held in place with clamping pressure around the strut. Like Mark G said, the top flange is at an angle to the belly when on the ground and looks a bit funny, but while in the the air the gear angle changes and the flange is then flush with the belly.

Comment

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Paul. Does Bob or anyone have a pic of the CF shock strut cover boot installed? I'm still trying to get an image of the preferred installation and orientation.

After going through several designs, I finally finished up the seal around the gear struts. There seem to be a lot of good design variations out there. I am hopeful that this will hold up to the exhaust fumes and potential oil exposure. If I had to do it all again, the one change I'd make would be to have the aluminum come a bit closer to the strut, so there is less rubber exposed.
        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Are there any options to procure this material other than on the full roll?

• joehmason
          joehmason commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be happy to sell it to you by the foot. The rolls that I stock are 36" wide. Just PM me. It is very reasonably priced in my opinion.

• jonmiller0
          jonmiller0 commented
          Editing a comment
          That really does look great. I tried to do something similar but was too lazy to take the struts off, so I cut a strip down the rubber and glued it back into place. I need to find something better

I used some heavy duty silicon rubber liberated from exercise bands. The stuff seams to be able to stretch well over 200%. Not flying yet but it seams to seal well moving the shock strut as far as it will move. I used several layers.

Comment

Working...
        X