Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Flow Discussion, Moved from Float Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Flow Discussion, Moved from Float Mounting

The following posts are relocated from a discussion about mounting floats, to make it easier to find and discuss.

I had a hard landing after an engine failure late last year. This is a Quickbuild bearhawk and we did not reinforce any of the fuselage. We followed the suggestions of Clamar and Mark WhatsApp Image 2019-09-29 at 1.10.04 PM (4).jpeg . Ripped the floats off but very little damage to the fuselage. WhatsApp Image 2020-01-17 at 8.46.26 PM (1).jpeg
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by MattS; 01-17-2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for posting, this information Matt.

Did you determine the cause of the engine failure?

Comment

short story; Running on "Both" without having interconnecting tanks. Pressure differential between the tanks caused fuel flow stoppage.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        For the first time reader of this thread....Today it is 2023, consider jumping to post #174 for Matt has discoverd and shared with us a different cause of fuel starvation.

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      short story; Running on "Both" without having interconnecting tanks. Pressure differential between the tanks caused fuel flow stoppage.
      If you dont mind its probably worth doing a post on this. It's an issue that is addressed in certified aircraft and rarely in experimental.

And since fuel related issues are the #1 experimental problem, it's worth discussing.
      Last edited by zkelley2; 01-23-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        100% it's worth discussing. The loss of one plane is to many planes.

I am interested to learn a lot more about this, if you don't mind.

Comment

Same here, I’d appreciate any discussion to learn more about this.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Very interested as well. I'm at a bit of a loss to understand this cause. Thanks!

Comment

Matt, add me to the list of folks who would like more details on the issue you encountered. Sounds like something the entire Bearhawk community needs to better understand.
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Sounds like a great Beartracks article.

Comment

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, 100%
                This stuff scares me during my pillow time!

It's more or less exactly what he said. If you have a fuel pump and have a both setting on your fuel selector, you need to either a) never use it in both b) have a vent line running between the two tanks towards the top of the tank to equalize the pressure in the air above the fuel. I could do some math with it later to show how that happens, but that's what's happening. You can have one tank empty and the other tank completely full and not be able to get any fuel to the engine.

Every certified aircraft has this if they have a both selector. They are required to by FAR.

Comment

• Battson
                Battson commented
                Editing a comment
                I needed more explanation than this to get my head around it, page 3 helped me the most.

Ok, zkelley2 I admit, I don’t get it. If the fuel tank is vented through the tank caps, what would a vent line connecting both tanks do for you that the cap doesn’t already do? The only failure scenario I can think of is to have one cap vent hole plugged. If that happens the fuel won’t drain out of the tank with the plugged cap and an alternate air source would be necessary.
              Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 01-25-2020, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Only thing I'm finding has to do with Cessna 182s, 185s and their interesting venting scheme, maybe an AD for vented caps? What's the FAR that requires a cross vent between independently vented tanks?

Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that Matt's BH has a IO360 CONTINENTAL. Not a Lycoming. I am not sure if the fuel injection systems are the same. But worth noting. Mark

Comment

• Battson
                    Battson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mark, I am not sure if the FI system makes much difference in the extreme case.

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
                  The only failure scenario I can think of is to have one cap vent hole plugged. If that happens the fuel won’t drain out of the tank with the plugged cap and an alternate air source would be necessary.
                  If that were the case, would a fuel crossover serve to equalize the pressure? Do the kit tanks have a provision for a vent crossover?

Comment

Working...
                  X