Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Flow Discussion, Moved from Float Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this is to be a permanent install I would use aluminum tube over most of the install. If you want to observe what is happening, put the clear tube in an area where you can observe the activity but where the tube will be easily replaced. The clear tubes I have found become hard, shrink and become discolored over time.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I agree. The front rib lightening holes are relatively easy to access so that shouldn’t be a problem to retrofit later.

• My latest offering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpklAFL3ZI

Comment

• Really nice video. I already had a couple of bungs welded to the inboard side of the tanks to use as fuel return ports. I added a header tank and want to use them for vents for the header tank, and to cross vent the tanks.. After looking at a bunch of fuel system designs I noticed Cessna had a preference for venting the tanks from the outboard side, vs the inboard. With only 1 degree of dihedral, this is only a very slight difference in height on the outboard. Obviously, higher is better, but in the case it isn't much.

Is there any other advantage to using the outboard location for the vents? I wonder if I could run a vent line internally in the tank, to the outboard edge of the tank, to the high point.

Comment

• Cessna has a pretty elaborate venting system with check valves in the tanks, Vents going from outboard tank to opposite tank outboard side, etc, etc. The one issue I can see with interconnecting the tanks inboard is if you parked on a slope with full tanks. The tanks would be in essence one tank. With full tanks the downslope tank has a hole in it, namely the fuel cap vent. Mean ol' Mr. Gravity would have his way and the fuel would flow out of the downslope cap. The only way to mitigate that with the tanks interconnected like that is to install an inline valve in the interconnecting vent line and turn it off when parked. However, one more thing to remember to turn on and a potential point of failure.

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, more complex, but sounds like Cessna's is as well. They have been doing this for a long time and have discovered all kinds of Gremlins over the years.
          The other option might be to try to figure out how to put a vent pipe internally in the tank to the upper/outboard end, from the inboard side. Lots of tanks of have internal piping for many different purposes, including venting. "Standpipes" are a pretty common feature.

• Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
        Cessna has a pretty elaborate venting system with check valves in the tanks, Vents going from outboard tank to opposite tank outboard side, etc, etc. The one issue I can see with interconnecting the tanks inboard is if you parked on a slope with full tanks. The tanks would be in essence one tank. With full tanks the downslope tank has a hole in it, namely the fuel cap vent. Mean ol' Mr. Gravity would have his way and the fuel would flow out of the downslope cap. The only way to mitigate that with the tanks interconnected like that is to install an inline valve in the interconnecting vent line and turn it off when parked. However, one more thing to remember to turn on and a potential point of failure.
        It's a risk today - if we leave our fuel selector on "both" parked on a slope, then we still lose most of the fuel. Just part of the design.
        I think parking on a slope is a strange enough event, that I always think "I better close that valve", and I have never lost fuel yet. I do lose fuel to freshly filled tanks on hot days though.

I can imagine, were I under a lot of stress or very distracted, I could forget to select the fuel to "off". But for normal ops, it has proven to be an insignificant risk for me personally.

Comment

• Today I put 10 gallons in each tank for a total of 20.
          at the pump inlet on Both, I had 23 GPH. Switch to left tank only, 23 GPH. Right tank only, 23GPH. I then went back to Both, the remaining 5 gallons was 15 GPH. Not sure why, head pressure I would guess. Previously I had only checked right and left, not both or both with near empty fuel.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Normally more fuel flow is seen with a BOTH setting. That has been my experience in all my planes. Not sure why you would not see that also Elden. Mark

• yateselden
            yateselden commented
            Editing a comment
            I was also expecting more flow on Both. Possibly something after the fuel valve restricts more flow on Both. One Pump on, I have 43 gph. I ran the motor, all four injectors working and WOT, tied to my truck (brakes won't hold it) with no issues other than some fine tuning. It really barks now.

• Archer39J
            Archer39J commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you using a gascolator? Looking at how restrictive they are I've been wondering if that's why folks aren't seeing a difference between single tank and BOTH fuel flow rates.

• Please clarify......I think you were doing a fuel flow test. And I think your GPH figures is a calculation of volume of fuel flowing into a bucket divided by time.

When you got the 15 GPH result, is it possible that you had uneven fuel levels in the two tanks?

I wonder........
          1) When the tank levels are not even the fullest tank has the highest fuel pressure at the TEE of the fuel selector.
          2) When the two tanks are interconnected when you select BOTH, then the differential pressure between the two tanks will want to equalize and fuel will cross feed through the fuel valve.
          3) It seems to me that any flow across the TEE will reduce flow to the engine.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• yateselden
            yateselden commented
            Editing a comment
            The 15 gph was the last 5 gal. that emptied the tanks. I have no intentions of letting the tanks get that low. It was just interesting that the flow was less.

• Yes, I think it's the gaskelater. I'll be looking into the one Mark sells and checking port size

Comment

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The one that Mark sells has 1/4 NPT ports on it. 1/4 NPT is what about every fuel selector I've seen is to.

• I am just becoming aware of a "near miss" involving a Bearhawk here, everyone is OK and the plane landed safely at an airfield.

Early reports are saying an engine failure after takeoff occurred during a short flight (only a few miles long) caused by one tank being half full and the other tank being almost empty. It sounds like the symptoms of the issues presented in this thread.

He was able to land and pump in more fuel to re-balance the fuel load and continue the trip without further incident.

I understand the pilot lost power just after takeoff, and immediately took the correct action of changing tanks which allowed him to restart the engine and continue to climb out. However he left the throttle wide open which prevented the fuel system from fully recovering, based on what we know here, which resulted in intermittent power surges throughout the remainder of the flight. Based on what we know, I believe that had he retarded the throttle the engine would have continued to run smoothly.

Note that this particular fuel system was not built exactly as Bob intended it, and it tends to draw from one tank faster than the other.
          Last edited by Battson; 08-02-2020, 04:47 PM. Reason: Add accurate details

Comment

• After reading through this whole discussion again a few weeks ago, I decided to add a cross vent tube between the two main tanks, similar to what Paul documented. Will post pictures when complete. Jon in Idaho was quite persuasive advocating that in his posts.

Comment

• I am using a vent from the inboard sides of the tank because I already have the fittings welded there. I am pretty sure I will use a 12v shutoff valve to automatically close with the loss of 12v power. I will put a switch and light on the valve to ensure it functions.

Outboard is probably a better location, but inboard is better than nothing. Still using vented fuel caps.

Comment

• I need to add a story here from the "not particularly proud to tell it" category. But I'm going to fess up because it may save someone else for doing the same.

A couple of months ago I took the Bearhawk on a solo trip the lake to tow paragliders. It's a 3-hour drive or a 1-hour flight. It's a great airplane mission, because the weather demands of paragliders are much more stringent than GA planes, so weather isn't usually much of a concern. I secured permission to tie down at a tiny airport with no attendance or services at all. It's very much like the airport where we keep our airplane, and best of all, it is really close to the boat ramp we use for the towing. The morning flight over was easy. I knew I was going to have to fuel before getting home that evening, but I didn't fuel in the morning, and parked the plane with around 12 gallons on board. That's not much, but it is certainly enough to fly a few miles to the big self-serve airport on the way home.

Having snacked/worked through lunch, we had a great day and were pounding away some much needed calories at the Mexican place. I happened to check the radar image on my phone, and there was a giant line of rain that was headed right for us. The line was parallel to my course home, and probably 40 miles upwind. I didn't have to get home, and knew that. But I also had a hunch that if I hustled over to the airport and got on my way, I'd have a good chance to make it home. It was safe in the sense that the line was barely moving, so I could always make a right turn and be in clear blue sky. If the rain moved over the home airport, I might have an adventure, which is no big deal.

The hop over to the big airport was uneventful, but I knew that time was not on my side. I figured, why not just fill up the right tank? That would be 17 more gallons than I'd need to get home, and over the course of the flight, it would be able to drain itself to the left tank. I'd save the time of having to move the ladder over to the other side, and be on my way 5 minutes sooner.

Skip ahead 15 minutes or so. I was on the radio with Greer approach, flying on course and parallel to an ominous looking line to the left, with a perfect day on the right. I could see the rain falling hard to the left, right at the Blue Ridge Escarpment. I was feeling pretty good about surfing the updraft curling around from that upflow, set at my usual 8gph cruise power and getting a bonus 20-25 knots of IAS over the usual cruise. (note! This technique is not recommended for beginners. Or really for anyone else. It's not the first time I've done it, but it's not without risk.)

I did a cursory and typical check of the fuel sight gauges and got quite a surprise. The left tank was as empty as I've ever seen it, and the right tank was still completely full. This is not what I was expecting, since I'd had some time for the tanks to balance. The left tank level was actually going down, not up!

At this point, my brain was showing the little hourglass symbol. Thankfully and perhaps luckily, I came up with a hypothesis. What if, in my slightly rushed refueling, I forgot to replace the cap? The left tank would have positive pressure, the right tank would have at best ambient pressure, and maybe low pressure. The corrective action that I needed, perhaps very quickly, was to select the right tank only. The pressure in the right tank was lower than the pressure in the left tank, but not so low that the engine wouldn't run. To confirm this, I selected the right tank with a close watch on the fuel flow, and thankfully it never changed. Everything was still good, and I pressed on towards home.

As I got closer, I could see that the rain had not reached home yet. I landed in strong gusty winds, which is also not recommended for beginners or anyone else. But I put the plane away and checked the right tank. Sure enough, the cap was gone.

So while I don't expect that I'll be adding a cross vent in the near term, I do want to point out that I encountered a scenario where the designed system was not tolerant of a particular series of errors- that is, fueling only one tank, and failing to recap the tank. It is totally fair that the system does not need to be tolerant of these errors. It may very well be that the engine would have kept on running. I wasn't in a position to test it.

As I said in the beginning, this isn't a story of great piloting. But I thought it was worth sharing.

Comment

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for sharing. The fuel system as designed is tolerant of this error, provided you don't run it on both.

I've had a leaking fuel tank before, on a previous airplane, on a long leg with no fuel until destination. It's a really good idea, IMO, that if you suspect you're losing fuel from a tank, to immediately switch to that tank to try to burn as much as you can before you lose it.

• robcaldwell
                  robcaldwell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've thought long and hard about cross venting, but have decided to simply be disciplined about fueling and maintaining both sides as equal as possible without ever going below 1/4 indicated.

• Battson
                  Battson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I confess to having done exactly the same thing, and I agree the system *MADE THE WAY BOB DESIGNED IT* is very tolerant to issues. I must disagree with zkelley2 above, as I always fly on Both and this was no exception.
                  We flew for a long time without one fuel cap and I hardly lost a drop of fuel overboard. I was able to tape over the open tank and fly back and get the missing cap (it was a short flight and the closest option).

• I would like to elaborate my post #114. It seems to me that fuel cross-flowing through the fuel selector from one tank to another reduces the amount of fuel flow available for the engine. So therefore, I am wondering if this safety notice or limitation might not be prudent....

"When a significant fuel imbalance exists do not place the fuel valve to BOTH, rather place the selector to either the L or R tank as appropriate."
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
                  svyolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is more head pressure to feed to carb or FI pump, then to cross-feed to the other tank. The head between the two tanks is only the difference between the fuel levels, 1-8 inches. The head to the carb or pump is 4 feet.

To my mind, I think the flow goes to the engine before it goes all the way up the other fuel line to the opposite tank.

• Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
                I would like to elaborate my post #114. It seems to me that fuel cross-flowing through the fuel selector from one tank to another reduces the amount of fuel flow available for the engine. So therefore, I am wondering if this safety notice or limitation might not be prudent....

"When a significant fuel imbalance exists do not place the fuel valve to BOTH, rather place the selector to either the L or R tank as appropriate."
                The trouble is, you need to know why the imbalance occurred, if you select the fullest tank - you are selecting the tank most likely to have a venting issue or negative pressure in flight, assuming the imbalance occurred unintentionally. Technically you should select the emptier tank and refuel as soon as possible.

Statistically speaking, playing with the fuel selector gets more pilots killed than tanks without a cross-vent. I feel it's important to remember that fact, we are only human.
                Last edited by Battson; 08-06-2020, 10:18 PM. Reason: Deleted the section about cross venting.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are thinking now! That is good.

Bob designed the fuel system for a R-Both-L selector. If I fear moving it we have a problem that needs to be vetted out.

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you can make a good arguement he designed it only fot L/R even if he didnt know it, considering there isn't a cross vent. And I think that argument has been made.

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Patrol Book specifies a four way L-Both-R-Off fuel valve.

• I think it's worth remembering that Bob designed and recommends a gravity feed system to a carb engine without any fuel pumps.
                In Bob's fuel system, operating with both tanks selected in any fuel configuration will be safe at all times.

Introducing fuel pumps and injection brings some benefits, as well as many new design considerations and operational considerations. As a community, I think we are still learning how to manage those risks, there is no one size fits all.

Comment

Working...
                X